Sponsored

[too afraid to ask] Are leveling kits the new body lift?

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been out of the 4x4 game for ~20 years but back then we used to make fun of people that only had a body lift. Yeah they could run bigger tires but they didn't increase suspension travel or change spring rates/dampening.

When I look at the "leveling kits" and the spacer lifts it just looks like body lifts all over again. What am I missing?
Sponsored

rutherk1

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4 door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At the end of the day you just need more fender clearance to put bigger tires on. A body lift will get you that and a spacer lift will get you that. Both are not the right ways to do it but will allow for a larger tire.

For IFS, an engineered suspension system that takes into account steering, suspension, CV axle, geometry is the best way to go.

As for the new body lift. I would say yes. Both cost effective ways, but greatly different methods, to put a bigger tire on.

Spacer lifts would be less of an issue on front/rear straight axle trucks.

LMF Bronc

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Spacer lifts reduce ride quality and stress parts. Body lift doesn’t hurt anything other than giving you a slightly higher center of gravity.

Sponsored

webspoke

Badlands
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F450, GT350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Obviously the answer is neither, just buy coilovers.
Or just new springs? That would keep the suspension limits/angles the same (controlled by the shocks) . Thats what I would wait for, the sas/bl shocks are really good units for oem.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s how it seems to be as an off-road noob. Ford and bilstein spend years engineering the suspension just to have it altered by a $100 worth of spacers to fit 2” bigger tires. I ponied up for the Sasquatch package to take advantage of a factory engineered solution. I could see changing out the wheels and tires but I’m not going to fool with the suspension geometry unless it’s an actual upgrade.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Or just new springs? That would keep the suspension limits/angles the same (controlled by the shocks) . Thats what I would wait for, the sas/bl shocks are really good units for oem.
Well new springs, either taller or different spring rate, would change the resting position of the bilstein dampener, and they’re 3 zone position sensitive so you MAY make the ride worse.

Bilstein engineered them as a pair.

Sponsored

Petey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s how it seems to be as an off-road noob. Ford and bilstein spend years engineering the suspension just to have it altered by a $100 worth of spacers to fit 2” bigger tires. I ponied up for the Sasquatch package to take advantage of a factory engineered solution. I could see changing out the wheels and tires but I’m not going to fool with the suspension geometry unless it’s an actual upgrade.
The engineers are most likely working with the attorneys when it comes to decisions on lift of the vehicle. They could have lifted it more from the factory, but why put yourself in anymore of a position to get sued than needed?

Spacers limit your range on the suspension, it’s as simple as that. There is nothing wrong with that though. I just drove the Badlands with the stock 33” tires at the TX off-rodeo, and I can assure you it was just as capable as the sas packages.

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well new springs, either taller or different spring rate, would change the resting position of the bilstein dampener, and they’re 3 zone position sensitive so you MAY make the ride worse.

Bilstein engineered them as a pair.

This.

Expanding on @L8apex 's statement.....

The shock absorbers are designed around the factory ride height.
Altering this position of "rest" up by raising the truck with coil spacers or stiffer springs changes that reference point.
So if factory you had 2" of travel before hitting the "bumps" now you have 0" and are practically resting on the "bump" valving. The "bump" valving gives increased damping and would ride harsher normally.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Does anyone really do body lifts anymore?

Just get coil-overs and stay away spacers above and below the oem shocks.

Coil-overs that provide over 3” of lift will start to stress the cv. At this point you will need to drop the front differential to level out the cv angle
Sponsored

Last edited: