First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 and 2016 TRD Tacoma & 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had lots of comments on here, Bronco Nation, and on the YouTube video itself for a trail only footage video so here’s the entire way back out of Hells Revenge. Literally 60 min of dash cam 🤷‍♂️🤘🏻

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks, @Chase Gentry. The minute details of your OBX are very important to those of us with that stock OBX, because some of us want to find a minor tire upgrade that won't require a lift, add too much noise or harsh ride quality, but give us an advantage on trails compared to the Stock 255/70R18 Bridgestone. The stock AT/RHS weighs 37#, 2535 WR, 10.2 SW, 7.3" tread, 32.1" diameter.

Mostly, the KO2 is bigger in the "same" size. An upgrade to same-size KO2 ups the load to a D rated 2835#, the tire weighs 14# more (37 vs 51#), the tread is 1.1" wider (7.3 vs 8.4) and the diameter is .1" smaller.

You've clarified that you installed "265's", which is a one-size upgrade, and an E-rated tire. I've considered this minor upgrade as a great compromise, and I appreciate your video showing this. The BFG KO2 265/70R18, when compared to the OBX OEM 255/70R18, is a size and capacity increase in every way:
Load: 2535 to 3525. (P to E)
Weight: 37# to 56# (19# gain)
Section 10.2" to 10.7" (.5" gain)
Tread 7.3" to 8.8" (1.5" gain)
Diameter: 32.1 to 32.6 (.5" gain)
Rev/Min: 649/637

Some of us on this forum have determined that an upgrade to 275/70R18 tires is the largest upgrade that wont require a lift, and these are true 33" tires in most models. But your 265/70R18 tires are a gentle upgrade I'm strongly considering, thanks to your video!

@Chase Gentry , I'd appreciate your double-checking which KO2 tires are on your OBX, the "stock" 255/70R18, or the slightly larger 265/70R18. Those of us with the stock OBX have been trying to find a slight upgrade size, thats not harsh riding.
Sorry, but people are really complaining about the tires WAY too much. I would argue that 275/70R18 tires are NOT the largest you can run without a lift.

Yes, I replaced the rims and tires, but I wouldn't shy away from any of the obstacles that I saw in this video. The stock OBX wheels and tires are highway tires (and honestly not much less capable than what I replaced them with). I did not remove any crash bars or change any other suspension items beyond the rims and tires. My OBX is as close to stock other than rims and tires as could be expected from any off-roading enthusiast.

I am running 295/70R17 Milestar Patagonia M/T's (a true 33.5" tire) on 17x9 RTR Tech 6 rims without any binding, rubbing, or other issues. Call it not stock, but it is quite capable, and the ride is anything but harsh at 35 PSI.

IMG-9b22eb69479fcbe7dec96a61c090896b-V.jpg

Last edited:

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sorry, but people are really complaining about the tires WAY too much. I would argue that 275/70R18 tires are NOT the largest you can run without a lift.

Yes, I replaced the rims and tires, but I wouldn't shy away from any of the obstacles that I saw in this video. The stock OBX wheels and tires are highway tires (and honestly not much less capable than what I replaced them with). I did not remove any crash bars or change any other suspension items beyond the rims and tires. My OBX is as close to stock other than rims and tires as could be expected from any off-roading enthusiast.

I am running 295/70R17 Milestar Patagonia M/T's (a true 33.5" tire) on 17x9 RTR Tech 6 rims without any binding, rubbing, or other issues. Call it not stock, but it is quite capable.

Ford Bronco Took a stock Outer Banks Bronco through Hells Revenge @ Moab 👀 IMG-9b22eb69479fcbe7dec96a61c090896b-V
Thanks, Mark, I'm enjoying seeing what you and others do with the OBX, before I pull the trigger on a new set of tires. And for me, i use on the road so much, I do want to keep the noise down! But beach season is coming soon!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Fairly certain his stock tires didn’t wear out in 5k miles though.
I drove 1.9 miles on mine and decided that they were worn out... LOL. ;)

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks, Mark, I'm enjoying seeing what you and others do with the OBX, before I pull the trigger on a new set of tires. And for me, i use on the road so much, I do want to keep the noise down! But beach season is coming soon!
That's why I went with a hybrid tire. Over my 1st 100 hours of driving, my average speed was 40 MPH, and obviously I have beach nearby.

20211205_115526.jpg

However, the vast majority of my miles are 80+ MPH freeway driving, despite that, the Milestar Patagonia M/T's worked great on the beach too. Road noise from the tires is not an issue... Wind noise from the hardtop is a much more salient issue.

I would be the first to complain about tire noise (as I really hate noisy tires). I have driven a 2018 Toyota Corolla with stock tires that had much more tire noise than the Milestar Patagonia M/T's, and I am not even mildly exaggerating.

It's a very quiet tire all things considered.

Sponsored

feralc

Outer Banks
First Name
Fernando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
hi there I have an Outerbanks too with stock Bridgestones. I purchased for the city but after watching videos I am really considering taking it off-road, I didn’t get the lockers and I read that most of the time the line you take is more important than lockers. OP Did you need to engage the lockers in those videos ?? If you did, do you think you can do most of those trails without lockers?? Thanks

OP
OP
Chase Gentry

Chase Gentry

Wildtrak
First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 and 2016 TRD Tacoma & 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
hi there I have an Outerbanks too with stock Bridgestones. I purchased for the city but after watching videos I am really considering taking it off-road, I didn’t get the lockers and I read that most of the time the line you take is more important than lockers. OP Did you need to engage the lockers in those videos ?? If you did, do you think you can do most of those trails without lockers?? Thanks
I did have to engage rear locker a couple times but probably could still make it with caution and hood lines though

Shanesully

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am running 295/70R17 Milestar Patagonia M/T's (a true 33.5" tire) on 17x9 RTR Tech 6 rims without any binding, rubbing, or other issues. Call it not stock, but it is quite capable, and the ride is anything but harsh at 35 PSI.

Ford Bronco Took a stock Outer Banks Bronco through Hells Revenge @ Moab 👀 20211205_115526
Any other pictures of your rig? I purchased the same wheels and would like to live vicariously through you till my bronco arrives.
Sponsored