Sponsored

Tool Kit to keep in the back - SAE or metric is better for the sockets and wrenches?

Sdodson75074

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Bronco, 2014 F140 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not sure this is the right category for this question, but here it goes...
I am wanting to put together a toolkit to keep in the Bronco. Anyone have an idea if SAE or metric is better for the sockets and wrenches? I could do both, but would like to keep it as tight as possible.
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP

Sdodson75074

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

bronconagurski

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 corvette and 2022 Maverick Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looks like the sockets pictured in the tool kit are metric.

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tools required for more than just work on Bronco, especially when out in remote locations. Every vehicle- both socket types and more tools too ....ALWAYS and YES!

Sponsored
OP
OP

Sdodson75074

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tools required for more than just work on Bronco, especially when out in remote locations. Every vehicle- both socket types and more tools too ....ALWAYS and YES!
Good point. Always be prepared.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The most important tool for any modern vehicle is either a OBD2 scan tool and/or a manufacturer-specific scan tool.

For mechanical tools, as already stated, its metric and special fasteners like Torxut really, what are you going to field repair on a modern vehicle with a limited set of carry-on tools? If it were me, I'd carry a better set of tire removal tools; really a battery-electric impact gun.

It's not like the 1960's when you could burn/foul a spark plug, or need to replace points and condenser.

Last edited:

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I bought a tool set decades ago called Metrinch. The tools are designed to do both with the same socket.

Love them, been my primary tool set for years, have yet to have anything fail on me.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not sure this is the right category for this question, but here it goes...
I am wanting to put together a toolkit to keep in the Bronco. Anyone have an idea if SAE or metric is better for the sockets and wrenches? I could do both, but would like to keep it as tight as possible.
I don't know of any current Ford that uses Imperial hardware....
But channel locks and adjustable wrenches and Vise-Grips belong in every tool kit 👍🏻

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I bought a tool set decades ago called Metrinch. The tools are designed to do both with the same socket.

Love them, been my primary tool set for years, have yet to have anything fail on me.
Neat. I've never heard of them. Just Binged it. Not a bad solution if you have an American car pre- 1980's and a metric car.

Thanks for posting.

TahoeTexan

Outer Banks
First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm planning to add to/replace some of the tools in the glove box tool kit. I'm skeptical of the quality. I'm thinking a good Torx set and few metric sockets, 10mm, 12mm, channel locks, etc.

Any other suggestions? I'm not looking for a full on trial kit, just a quality kit while out and about.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Metric is all that’s needed on any new vehicle. Even my 87 Bronco was all metric. You will find a use for SAE 1/2” and 9/16”, but only because of their equivalent to 13mm and 14mm. I’m finally at the point where not every tool or set I buy needs to be purchased in SAE too. SAE really only gets used around the house and on some landscape/construction machinery at work.

I purchase this little Sunex tool kit for every vehicle I have and have given several to friends. My Amazon history shows I’ve purchased 9 to date. It’s enough tools without being too much, you can swap batteries, work on interior trim, fix most bicycle issues, etc. If I could make one change I would prefer the box be plastic instead of metal, like a Milwaukee or Dewalt drill bit box. If I can ever find some torx plus bits I’ll swap them into the kit for my Bronco, but the stock toolkit has those handled.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4MA7MM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

2556C6C5-C7D0-460A-A2EE-CBA67C111ADC.jpeg
Sponsored