Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
A few articles below for anyone interested. I
personally find it remarkable how many white, gray, silver, and black cars are on the roads. I’ve summarized some of the article points at the bottom of this post.

This article is from a few years ago but has a ton of really interesting history and information.
https://www.consumerreports.org/con...y-of-car-colors-and-why-are-we-so-boring-now/

This one is more recent and a bit more speculative
https://jalopnik.com/i-asked-a-real-car-color-professional-hard-hitting-ques-1842885985

I definitely have a “responsible” side telling me to get carbonized gray; but there’s also a part of me that wants to say “f*ck it, it’s a bronco so I should get a fun color... velocity blue isn’t too bad....”

On base I don’t have as many color options as I’d like which is unfortunate. I’m hoping for a nice green in my22 like many others.

Some data and information

(I’m don’t think the data includes fleet and commercial vehicles, which obviously would likely skew the data towards white - but I’m not positive)

BASF 2020 Global Color Report
https://www.basf.com/global/documen...21/01/BASF_Color_Report_2020_Press_Kit_EN.pdf

2020 GLOBAL COLOR POPULARITY OF NEW CAR COLORS
Ford Bronco Top Car Colors of 2020 (78% White, Black, Gray, or Silver) vs Bronco6G Member Ordered Colors BC64C1A3-1272-4F0B-BDE5-42D9CA9C38F2

2020 NORTH AMERICA POPULARITY OF NEW CAR COLORS
Ford Bronco Top Car Colors of 2020 (78% White, Black, Gray, or Silver) vs Bronco6G Member Ordered Colors E267447E-4BF4-4374-A52C-DECDE3857AC3

Bronco6G Order Stats “enthusiast color choices” - as of 2/14/21
via
Submitted Bronco Orders Tracking List & Stats

Ford Bronco Top Car Colors of 2020 (78% White, Black, Gray, or Silver) vs Bronco6G Member Ordered Colors E4D27908-5764-444D-9776-E6358A47BEDF

Some reasons as to why colors may be more boring:
  • Leases make up a larger percentage of new vehicles and require dealers to sell them twice, so manufacturers build more safe colors
  • In the past before the advent of metallic flake alignment and quality clear coats, grays and silvers tended to be more “flat” and boring, but now these colors can have a lot of depth and dimension, perhaps surfacing a long held desire for exciting textures in colors we could never have.
  • We are living in an age where many identify cars with “tech” - which makes them desirable in sleek tech-like colors, with white being the most popular
  • Following the depression a lot of individuals wanted a safer choice for resale - this aligns with the opposite effect seen after world war 1 and world war 2 with an increase in more vibrant colors during economic boom periods
  • In the 70s and 80s Japanese auto makers change the way we buy cars in America, previously you were more likely to custom order from a catalogue and the big 3 would build your car in a matter of weeks. As Japanese cars increased in popularity, it took too long to have one ordered, so they shipped high volumes of the most common and popular color and trim combinations and created the “buy it off the lot” mentality. Safer colors sold faster - and American manufacturers followed suit
  • Car colors are frequently designed years in advance, which makes them more likely to follow common large scale trends without room for extraneous other colors or less popular trends that may go away too quickly.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Interesting analysis especially when comparing to the converted orders reported on this forum. Appears enthusiasts agree with you that they want a colorful 6g bronc

I almost ordered a white but my SO put a stop to that. Went with a51 which is the most popular color. Honestly I would have been happy either way. I think the white bronco with black wildtrak accents looks SEXY.
But the a51 imbues adventure and is an iconic 6g Bronco color

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Interesting analysis especially when comparing to the converted orders reported on this forum. Appears enthusiasts agree with you that they want a colorful 6g bronc

I almost ordered a white but my SO put a stop to that. Went with a51 which is the most popular color. Honestly I would have been happy either way. I think the white bronco with black wildtrak accents looks SEXY.
But the a51 imbues adventure and is an iconic 6g Bronco color
Yeah I think the enthusiast group typically is more open towards unique colors. One of the articles does highlight yellow being a desirable color on the used market for enthusiast cars, which makes sense for cyber orange.

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I wonder what the data would look like without fleet/rental vehicle data included. I suspect that fleet vehicles account for the majority of white vehicles and rentals boost the black/gray/silver vehicle numbers.
I also think if what people order (i.e 2021 bronco) probably has a greater variance of colors vs what people buy just because it's available on the lot.

And the OJ connection is probably suppressing more than a few white bronco orders. I really like how the 2021 looks in white, but my better half nixed that color due to not wanting to deal with the OJ jokes.

Sponsored

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A few articles below for anyone interested. I
personally find it remarkable how many white, gray, silver, and black cars are on the roads. I’ve summarized some of the article points at the bottom of this post.

This article is from a few years ago but has a ton of really interesting history and information.
https://www.consumerreports.org/con...y-of-car-colors-and-why-are-we-so-boring-now/

This one is more recent and a bit more speculative
https://jalopnik.com/i-asked-a-real-car-color-professional-hard-hitting-ques-1842885985

I definitely have a “responsible” side telling me to get carbonized gray; but there’s also a part of me that wants to say “f*ck it, it’s a bronco so I should get a fun color... velocity blue isn’t too bad....”

On base I don’t have as many color options as I’d like which is unfortunate. I’m hoping for a nice green in my22 like many others.

Some data and information

(I’m don’t think the data includes fleet and commercial vehicles, which obviously would likely skew the data towards white - but I’m not positive)

BASF 2020 Global Color Report
https://www.basf.com/global/documen...21/01/BASF_Color_Report_2020_Press_Kit_EN.pdf

2020 GLOBAL COLOR POPULARITY OF NEW CAR COLORS
Ford Bronco Top Car Colors of 2020 (78% White, Black, Gray, or Silver) vs Bronco6G Member Ordered Colors 1613321003564

2020 NORTH AMERICA POPULARITY OF NEW CAR COLORS
Ford Bronco Top Car Colors of 2020 (78% White, Black, Gray, or Silver) vs Bronco6G Member Ordered Colors 1613321003564
B6G Order Stats “enthusiast color choices” - as of 2/14/21

Some reasons as to why colors may be more boring:
  • Leases make up a larger percentage of new vehicles and require dealers to sell them twice, so manufacturers build more safe colors
  • In the past before the advent of metallic flake alignment and quality clear coats, grays and silvers tended to be more “flat” and boring, but now these colors can have a lot of depth and dimension, perhaps surfacing a long held desire for exciting textures in colors we could never have.
  • We are living in an age where many identify cars with “tech” - which makes them desirable in sleek tech-like colors, with white being the most popular
  • Following the depression a lot of individuals wanted a safer choice for resale - this aligns with the opposite effect seen after world war 1 and world war 2 with an increase in more vibrant colors during economic boom periods
  • In the 70s and 80s Japanese auto makers change the way we buy cars in America, previously you were more likely to custom order from a catalogue and the big 3 would build your car in a matter of weeks. As Japanese cars increased in popularity, it took too long to have one ordered, so they shipped high volumes of the most common and popular color and trim combinations and created the “buy it off the lot” mentality. Safer colors sold faster - and American manufacturers followed suit
  • Car colors are frequently designed years in advance, which makes them more likely to follow common large scale trends without room for extraneous other colors or less popular trends that may go away too quickly.
Ford may have some bright "high impact" colors on high end Mustangs....but Dodge would be one to look at for an example. They often have high impact colors on the Charger and Challenger line; yellow, real orange, sub-lime, sassy grass, Go-Mango (copper-orange), purple, etc. Also with metal flake and pearl effects like the Cyber Orange. The First Edition, IMO, should have also had numbered dash plates (just like Dodge did on limited Daytona Models).

ChargerFront.jpg

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wonder what the data would look like without fleet/rental vehicle data included. I suspect that fleet vehicles account for the majority of white vehicles and rentals boost the black/gray/silver vehicle numbers.
I also think if what people order (i.e 2021 bronco) probably has a greater variance of colors vs what people buy just because it's available on the lot.

And the OJ connection is probably suppressing more than a few white bronco orders. I really like how the 2021 looks in white, but my better half nixed that color due to not wanting to deal with the OJ jokes.
yeah I just dove back into the basf report and it says it’s calculating for “passenger cars” - soI think that wouldn’t included commercials or fleets. Rentals I’m not sure though.

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sponsored

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

yeah I just dove back into the basf report and it says it’s calculating for “passenger cars” - soI think that wouldn’t included commercials or fleets. Rentals I’m not sure though.
Passenger cars (vehicles) in auto industry talk just means non-commercial. It includes all cars, trucks, and SUVs. No buses, heavy duty (semi) trucks, etc.

ehssey

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport, Harley-Davidson Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t dismiss the fact that a lot of people are inherently lazy and choose lighter colored cars because they don’t require as much upkeep from a cleanliness perspective, as do darker colored vehicles.

Crimpcap

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y, Honda G1 Insight
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Don’t dismiss the fact that a lot of people are inherently lazy and choose lighter colored cars because they don’t require as much upkeep from a cleanliness perspective, as do darker colored vehicles.
Hey now..... I represent your comment. :LOL:

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
People are boring. Personally, I needed something that made my heart beat faster. Cyber!
The metallic flakes in the cyber paint look like they’re gonna be really nice in the sun.
Sponsored