Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
A few articles below for anyone interested. I
personally find it remarkable how many white, gray, silver, and black cars are on the roads. I’ve summarized some of the article points at the bottom of this post.

This article is from a few years ago but has a ton of really interesting history and information.
https://www.consumerreports.org/con...y-of-car-colors-and-why-are-we-so-boring-now/

This one is more recent and a bit more speculative
https://jalopnik.com/i-asked-a-real-car-color-professional-hard-hitting-ques-1842885985

I definitely have a “responsible” side telling me to get carbonized gray; but there’s also a part of me that wants to say “f*ck it, it’s a bronco so I should get a fun color... velocity blue isn’t too bad....”

On base I don’t have as many color options as I’d like which is unfortunate. I’m hoping for a nice green in my22 like many others.

Some data and information

(I’m don’t think the data includes fleet and commercial vehicles, which obviously would likely skew the data towards white - but I’m not positive)

BASF 2020 Global Color Report
https://www.basf.com/global/documen...21/01/BASF_Color_Report_2020_Press_Kit_EN.pdf

2020 GLOBAL COLOR POPULARITY OF NEW CAR COLORS
BC64C1A3-1272-4F0B-BDE5-42D9CA9C38F2.jpeg

2020 NORTH AMERICA POPULARITY OF NEW CAR COLORS
E267447E-4BF4-4374-A52C-DECDE3857AC3.jpeg

Bronco6G Order Stats “enthusiast color choices” - as of 2/14/21
via
Submitted Bronco Orders Tracking List & Stats

E4D27908-5764-444D-9776-E6358A47BEDF.jpeg

Some reasons as to why colors may be more boring:
  • Leases make up a larger percentage of new vehicles and require dealers to sell them twice, so manufacturers build more safe colors
  • In the past before the advent of metallic flake alignment and quality clear coats, grays and silvers tended to be more “flat” and boring, but now these colors can have a lot of depth and dimension, perhaps surfacing a long held desire for exciting textures in colors we could never have.
  • We are living in an age where many identify cars with “tech” - which makes them desirable in sleek tech-like colors, with white being the most popular
  • Following the depression a lot of individuals wanted a safer choice for resale - this aligns with the opposite effect seen after world war 1 and world war 2 with an increase in more vibrant colors during economic boom periods
  • In the 70s and 80s Japanese auto makers change the way we buy cars in America, previously you were more likely to custom order from a catalogue and the big 3 would build your car in a matter of weeks. As Japanese cars increased in popularity, it took too long to have one ordered, so they shipped high volumes of the most common and popular color and trim combinations and created the “buy it off the lot” mentality. Safer colors sold faster - and American manufacturers followed suit
  • Car colors are frequently designed years in advance, which makes them more likely to follow common large scale trends without room for extraneous other colors or less popular trends that may go away too quickly.
This just reaffirms my decision to go with Oxford White. I don’t plan on selling. But if I do, white has the highest demand, and the best resale value. Also, white Broncos are iconic (for obvious reasons). And white makes the vehicle look bigger (as opposed to Black which makes the vehicle look smaller). Thanks for the info!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sampsonrustic

Sampsonrustic

Base
First Name
Sampson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
This just reaffirms my decision to go with Oxford White. I don’t plan on selling. But if I do, white has the highest demand, and the best resale value. Also, white Broncos are iconic (for obvious reasons). And white makes the vehicle look bigger (as opposed to Black which makes the vehicle look smaller). Thanks for the info!
whatever makes you happy! As someone who drools over all the restored early Broncos in SoCal I just wish we had more fun colors... a tangerine orange or boxwood green would make me a happy camper

ColbyFromBama

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
whatever makes you happy! As someone who drools over all the restored early Broncos in SoCal I just wish we had more fun colors... a tangerine orange or boxwood green would make me a happy camper
If I could have gotten an Army Green/Forrest Green I would have. But since that’s not available, Oxford White it is!

Free Pizza

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I expected way more iconic silver and race red.

Sponsored

I3RONCO

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyotas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd get Lightning Blue in a heartbeat but I'm not getting a FE. I've never really liked Velocity Blue on any vehicle I've seen. Maybe if I could see more pics of it on a Bronco I could be convinced. But as soon as they started building some the stig got outed and I haven't seen it since. Going with Carbonized Gray for now. I actually like how the paint pops in the sun. I wanted to like Cyber Yellow but it looks like a taxi cab on the 4 door. I'm going to own this thing for 10+ years so I don't want to get tired of a loud color after the first few years.

This is the picture that sold me on Carbonized:

carbonized.png
I do love it in this photo. Drove to the Ford dealership to confirm and I was disappointed. At first I thought it was the one I wanted when I rolled up to a gray F150, but when I got out it was “metallic” gray, I eventually found the carbonized gray and it looked really flat next to the metallic and not as dark. Make sure you see it in the sun.

B Wants A Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X; 2002 BMW 530i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm hoping to get my CO 2-door BL summer or fall this year. I'm being transferred to Bremerton, WA in July. I feel like in the small 'community' of a military base, my Bronco is going to stick out like a glowing lighting bug in the night wherever it goes. I look forward to people asking me about it :).

Norsman

Badlands
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been thinking rapid red with white top... glad this color is less popular.

Vigor

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
For those "Bold" buyers of Cyber Orange, you may want to do a little research into tricoat metallic paints and the nightmare of repairing even simple scratches. The 3 coat process, plus the top coat makes it nearly impossible to fix even the smallest scratch. If your Bronco is going to be used hard and put away dirty then these scratches will add character to your Bronco, but if you don't plan on doing much off-roading, I hope the occasional scratch in the paint will still make you feel like your bold choice was the right one. I'm by no means a paint expert but maybe Lab00Rat, who did a phenomenal job with the CG paint debate, could weigh in.
Ya gotta tag him to get his attention @Lab00Rat

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here is a graph that was posted on a similar thread a while back:
cautofotocar-color-graph.jpg
Notice how easy this graph is to understand with 20+ years of data v. the 3-D Pie/Donut Chart with only ONE.

Please express data this way and drop the pie charts. It is much easier to understand.

[Steps down from soap box...]

Sponsored

camnut

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sorry I skipped all the comments so I just have to say ... me loving white No way this is true. I've always seen people put down white 😠

Happytown

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 Eco SCREW 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is one of those things that I think is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.

Most people do not order their vehicle, they buy it off the lot. Ever look at the new cars on a lot? Probably 3/4 of them are some shade of white/gray/silver/black. Throw in a couple versions of blue or red and you've covered more than 90% of the cars on the lot.

The dealer wants to sell you what's on the lot so he points out that these colors have high resale and shows you these stats that most people buy these colors. Since it works, the dealer continues to order more of the same.

In other words, of course everyone buys these colors. That's what's available.
"90% of shark attacks occur near the shore"

Mustang Mike

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fact, The greatest car paint colour in history (also a ford colour) is Grabber Blue!

DCBB1816-8DA3-44EC-83A8-7E39EEEFD558.jpeg

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most people follow the herd. Safe hair styles, safe clothes, safe car colors...most people would rather not separate themselves from the herd. Most people are not peacocks.

Manufacturers and retailers want to sell products, so they play it safe.
Sponsored