First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Question for the group: how stable are the windows when you have the top down/off and windows up? I’ve searched but haven’t found any threads specific to this topic (yet).

I’m still some time away from my Bronco being built and currently driving a Wrangler. I’m not necessarily a fan of the full door frame design when I have the top off. Although, it does give good structure/stability for the windows when I want to keep them up while the top is off. The frameless window design of the Bronco is much preferred but I’m wondering if anyone has experienced issues in this configuration. My assumption is it‘s no big deal as every convertible car out there has the same basic function, but want to see if there’s anything I’m missing.

Of the many features that I prefer with the Bronco is the standard 1/2 doors. While I do enjoy pulling the doors off for a full nekkid ride, it can become a bit of a bear for extended periods. I usually take the top off for weeks/months at a time, but the doors might come off for a day or two here and there. Having a mesh top helps with wind and sun (esp in Dallas) as well. Depending on situation, my wife sometimes prefers to have windows up when the top is off as she actually has enough hair to mess up so I suspect I’ll be driving the Bronco top removed a LOT…and if I’m alone, windows down.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Bonnie6G

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands LuxSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The windows seal against the roll cage, so pretty secure when fully up. I have heard of some folks having some window wobble when half down, but I have not experienced that.

ILoveTacos

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've had no issues with the windows up and the top off. If you have the windows partially down that's another story, as they do "wobble" a little over rough surfaces.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The only issue that I've had - other than the driver side window motor being dead when delivered - has been in strong cross winds. At freeway speeds, if you have a 25+ mph wind from the side, the down-wind window can pop out of the edges that hold it in place. I had to stop three times the last time that happened to get the window seated properly, then it was good from there on. But rolling it down would have resulted once again in a window that doesn't seal.

The rubber areas that the window seals against don't come off with the roof panels or with the top, so there should be no other issues.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The only issue that I've had - other than the driver side window motor being dead when delivered - has been in strong cross winds. At freeway speeds, if you have a 25+ mph wind from the side, the down-wind window can pop out of the edges that hold it in place. I had to stop three times the last time that happened to get the window seated properly, then it was good from there on. But rolling it down would have resulted once again in a window that doesn't seal.

The rubber areas that the window seals against don't come off with the roof panels or with the top, so there should be no other issues.
I experienced about 6 hours of that window being sucked out on the downwind side. It sucks. Loud as crap right by your ear. If you drive along side an 18 wheeler to block the crosswind, you can reset it, but it doesn’t last long.
I’m actually planning to put a suction cup on my window so I can pull it back in next time I drive through South Dakota.

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No issues either!

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep. In fact, with a mesh top like Gear Shade ot J-Top, running with the top down and windows up is actually fairly serene and peaceful driving around town. Freeway speeds aren’t bad - unless, as it’s been pointed out, you have serious cross-winds…

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.

Sponsored

bronco0311

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No issues at all. I have the top down 75% of the time and I routinely drive over a big bridge to work and it gets really windy. I roll up my windows when I go over the bridge and chill, then roll them down after I come down. Easy as pie. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We drive in that config all the time, due to wife hair, just like you. No issues at all, and as someone else mentioned the windows get some support from the roll bar.

Also, Geaux Tigers.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
I don't consider it to be a problem. And now that I'm aware that freeway speeds in strong cross winds can cause the window to not close properly, I'll just make sure that I don't open the window in those conditions.

Dealer: Kendal Ford in Meridian. They've been excellent for everything.

j_4260

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3, Ducati M620, BMW GSA 1200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't have issues with the windows when the top is up or down. I do have some rattle when the window is down part-way, but I recall there is a TSB out to adjust for that and it's not related to the soft-top position.

dukegsd13

Badlands
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019-MustangPP2 2005-Superduty 2022-Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Question for the group: how stable are the windows when you have the top down/off and windows up? I’ve searched but haven’t found any threads specific to this topic (yet).

I’m still some time away from my Bronco being built and currently driving a Wrangler. I’m not necessarily a fan of the full door frame design when I have the top off. Although, it does give good structure/stability for the windows when I want to keep them up while the top is off. The frameless window design of the Bronco is much preferred but I’m wondering if anyone has experienced issues in this configuration. My assumption is it‘s no big deal as every convertible car out there has the same basic function, but want to see if there’s anything I’m missing.

Of the many features that I prefer with the Bronco is the standard 1/2 doors. While I do enjoy pulling the doors off for a full nekkid ride, it can become a bit of a bear for extended periods. I usually take the top off for weeks/months at a time, but the doors might come off for a day or two here and there. Having a mesh top helps with wind and sun (esp in Dallas) as well. Depending on situation, my wife sometimes prefers to have windows up when the top is off as she actually has enough hair to mess up so I suspect I’ll be driving the Bronco top removed a LOT…and if I’m alone, windows down.

Thanks in advance.
I have driven the Bronco with all the combos:

All tops off: Windows up. I can hear my passenger next to me. The wind is really, really calm at 70. I was shocked how comfortable everything was. Even at 90 I was surprised how quiet. Hats no issues. Windows down well a little windy LOL. The rear passengers don't like this as much they do sit up higher. All girls need hats I have 4 of them in my Bronco. I did have one wind gust that almost took my hat. No window issues with them all the way up.

Fronts off only: No issues obviously

Fronts and middle top off: This is interesting. I thought this would be my least desired option but I seem to run this the most. It is not bad at all on the highway at 70. I thought that I would get a waffling affect with the back on but no. It's not as smooth as all tops off and windows up but it a close second. The center of the rear top does wobble a tad in the middle. I'm not sure is this combination is good for the rear roof or not. I was a little nervous at first but I don't see any issues.

If my windows are partially down at all any combo they rattle. Need to take to dealer it sounds like they are going to break by rattling so hard. Not sure if the rears rattle.
Sponsored