Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lambofeeties
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have been a Jeep owner since 2011. That being said - my Unlimited JK hardtop spends 6 months out of the year doorless and topless. On and off road, 60 mile + trips, you name it.

The weather finally permitted me to drop the top and pull the doors off my 4 door Badlands this last weekend and I drove the $#!t out of it.

The ease of door removal - both are very straight forward, the Jeep is a little easier with exposed hinges. The Bronco wasn't difficult , just restricted by the door. Still a quick transition and the Bronco doors are lighter and easier to carry. Ford also provides tools for removal - Jeep does not.

I can't compare tops, Badlands is a soft top and Jeep is a hardtop (I use a hoist).

Driving the completely open Jeep you experience a lot of turbulence from the almost 90 degree windshield. It's strong enough that at moderate speeds it's impossible to keep a hat on(cowboy or trucker). Conversation levels also have to be louder due to this issue. The Bronco has a much more aerodynamic windshield compared to the Jeep. The wind turbulence is minimal (even at 90MPH) - no losing trucker hat at all. Conversations can also be maintained at a normal level. My Jeep has an upgraded stereo so music at any speed is clear with full range of tones- Bronco however is not. At low speeds the Bronco (non lux) is okay - but road and tire noise does overwhelm it. The mirror situation is quite obvious - Jeep bring your own, Bronco has you covered.

The Wrangler does have a security option that I hope the Bronco adopts. A few companies offer an under front seat security drawer large enough for two handguns, $10,000 cash, and two extra handgun magazines. Unfortunately, the under seat vents in the Bronco might impede this type of security option.

I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend of open vehicle driving in the Bronco and to be honest- everything is still off!!

tempImage2j1qCJ.png
The bronco offers 2 safes. One in the center console. And one in the back of the truck where a spare tire is kept on a car. In the trunk. Lift up carpet scenario

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I need to reassess my life if yall are cruising strapped up with 10 bands.

My arm rest holds like $8 bucks of change pretty solidly, haven't really given much thought to leaving more cash than that in my vehicle but if I'm honest that's pretty much a result of availability rather than desire.
Hey don't sell your self short, you're just ballin on a budget! That's about $7.64 more than I have in my whip. Oh and I have a Toonie from when I was at our cottage last Fall, does that count?

HeatherJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am so happy you posted this. Current JL driver and have been driving Jeeps since 2015. I have steering issues with my wrangler which is why I ordered the bronco in the first place. With the doors and top off, it’s almost impossible to drive. So happy to hear it’s better than Jeeps
I have wondered about the stereo on the broncos being topless. I don’t have an upgraded system in the Jeep but did get the lux package on the Bronco.
I currently have a spider shade on my wrangler. I LOVE that thing. I reached out to them and they are working on producing Bronco spider shades. I will be purchasing one once they become available. I think others would enjoy them as well.

Sponsored

Broncojy

Big Bend
First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Neon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Taking the soft top completely off is a pain In the ass. It’s pretty heavy. 2 grown men should be able to remove it easily, HOWEVER…… putting it back on is where it gets tricky.

it’s very difficult to get it exactly in place and while you’re trying to maneuver it in place you WILL get scratches…very silly design imo. Took mine offf once and won’t be doing it again because of the scratches

Southern Boi NOLA

Base
First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good thing about living in the deep south is that we already have had plenty days warm enough to go doorless. My doors haven't been on for about the past 4 days.

One issue I have been running into as I re-install the doors is that the top pin has a square end so the only way to get the bottom guide pin back out after you put the door back is that you have to have it at the perfect angle. I have found that if you put it on at the wrong angle, I tighten the top down first and that always aligns it so that I can take out the guide pin and put the bottom bolt back in

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am so happy you posted this. Current JL driver and have been driving Jeeps since 2015. I have steering issues with my wrangler which is why I ordered the bronco in the first place. With the doors and top off, it’s almost impossible to drive. So happy to hear it’s better than Jeeps
I have wondered about the stereo on the broncos being topless. I don’t have an upgraded system in the Jeep but did get the lux package on the Bronco.
I currently have a spider shade on my wrangler. I LOVE that thing. I reached out to them and they are working on producing Bronco spider shades. I will be purchasing one once they become available. I think others would enjoy them as well.
Spiderwebshade is tired of hearing from me by now :)

crazynova

Black Diamond
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I need to reassess my life if yall are cruising strapped up with 10 bands.

My arm rest holds like $8 bucks of change pretty solidly, haven't really given much thought to leaving more cash than that in my vehicle but if I'm honest that's pretty much a result of availability rather than desire.
Honestly you’re the smarter one here. The cop in me cringes when I see someone say they keep a gun and $10k in their open vehicle, safe or not.

Destroyer

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Chevy SWB NBS, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The ease of door removal - both are very straight forward, the Jeep is a little easier with exposed hinges. The Bronco wasn't difficult , just restricted by the door. Still a quick transition and the Bronco doors are lighter and easier to carry. Ford also provides tools for removal - Jeep does not.

I can't compare tops, Badlands is a soft top and Jeep is a hardtop (I use a hoist).

Driving the completely open Jeep you experience a lot of turbulence from the almost 90 degree windshield. It's strong enough that at moderate speeds it's impossible to keep a hat on(cowboy or trucker). Conversation levels also have to be louder due to this issue. The Bronco has a much more aerodynamic windshield compared to the Jeep. The wind turbulence is minimal (even at 90MPH) - no losing trucker hat at all. Conversations can also be maintained at a normal level. My Jeep has an upgraded stereo so music at any speed is clear with full range of tones- Bronco however is not. At low speeds the Bronco (non lux) is okay - but road and tire noise does overwhelm it. The mirror situation is quite obvious - Jeep bring your own, Bronco has you covered.
tempImage2j1qCJ.png
Surprising to see this sticky'd to the front page being that we are comparing a 10+ year old JK to a brand new Bronco. Regardless a few notes...I have a 2015 JK and it had the tool kit to remove doors and hardtop and I'm confident the new JL's have one as well. The JL's have aluminum doors compared to the JK, and I believe it saves 14lb in comparison. Without the window frame, I would still say the Bronco doors are probably still a bit lighter, but probably only give or take 5lb. Not as significant. And finally the windshield angle is significantly more raked on the JLs and the effects you're describing are significantly reduced in comparison to a JK.

Overall great writeup and comparison. Just wanted to bring light to a few talking points

Sponsored

HeatherJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Heather
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Surprising to see this sticky'd to the front page being that we are comparing a 10+ year old JK to a brand new Bronco. Regardless a few notes...I have a 2015 JK and it had the tool kit to remove doors and hardtop and I'm confident the new JL's have one as well. The JL's have aluminum doors compared to the JK, and I believe it saves 14lb in comparison. Without the window frame, I would still say the Bronco doors are probably still a bit lighter, but probably only give or take 5lb. Not as significant. And finally the windshield angle is significantly more raked on the JLs and the effects you're describing are significantly reduced in comparison to a JK.

Overall great writeup and comparison. Just wanted to bring light to a few talking points
One of the things I noticed right away was the weight of the door for the Bronco compared to my JL door.

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been wondering...what happens when there's a flash rainstorm? Just pull over and get the top on as quickly as possible? Does a lot of water make it into the car with no doors (with roof on)?
Saw that happen to a someone in a jeep a few years back. Son's baseball game, beautiful clear day, not cloud in the sky except one. Just started downpouring for 15 minutes. Left standing water on the field and this poor bastard soaked to the bone.

Its for that reason I initially wanted dual tops and then settled for the soft top. Told the wife I'm never going anywhere that I can't at least put a top up in a hurry.

adrencg

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Saw that happen to a someone in a jeep a few years back. Son's baseball game, beautiful clear day, not cloud in the sky except one. Just started downpouring for 15 minutes. Left standing water on the field and this poor bastard soaked to the bone.

Its for that reason I initially wanted dual tops and then settled for the soft top. Told the wife I'm never going anywhere that I can't at least put a top up in a hurry.
Probably depends on where you are also. I'm visiting Florida this summer and I know the weather can change within the span of a minute.

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's it I'M OUT!!!!

I need $15K of storage under the seat AND a room for few more clips. Dammit! Mines just a few weeks away from delivey.
I need room for my RPG and anti-aircraft gun too.
Sponsored