Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been wondering...what happens when there's a flash rainstorm? Just pull over and get the top on as quickly as possible? Does a lot of water make it into the car with no doors (with roof on)?
If you are driving on an open road with no traffic and can maintain speed, you don't really get wet. You will get wet when you have to slow dow down or stop.
Sponsored

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I've been wondering...what happens when there's a flash rainstorm? Just pull over and get the top on as quickly as possible? Does a lot of water make it into the car with no doors (with roof on)?
Haven't seen it mentioned yet, but have you ever seen those pictures of vehicles and airplanes doing wind tunnel testing?

Those streaks of air you see act like a poor mans deflector shield, keeping the rain out until you can find a nice bridge to pullover under. Have had to do that a couple times over the years in my droptop camaro.

fschael

Base
First Name
Federico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 Supercrew FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have been a Jeep owner since 2011. That being said - my Unlimited JK hardtop spends 6 months out of the year doorless and topless. On and off road, 60 mile + trips, you name it.

The weather finally permitted me to drop the top and pull the doors off my 4 door Badlands this last weekend and I drove the $#!t out of it.

The ease of door removal - both are very straight forward, the Jeep is a little easier with exposed hinges. The Bronco wasn't difficult , just restricted by the door. Still a quick transition and the Bronco doors are lighter and easier to carry. Ford also provides tools for removal - Jeep does not.

I can't compare tops, Badlands is a soft top and Jeep is a hardtop (I use a hoist).

Driving the completely open Jeep you experience a lot of turbulence from the almost 90 degree windshield. It's strong enough that at moderate speeds it's impossible to keep a hat on(cowboy or trucker). Conversation levels also have to be louder due to this issue. The Bronco has a much more aerodynamic windshield compared to the Jeep. The wind turbulence is minimal (even at 90MPH) - no losing trucker hat at all. Conversations can also be maintained at a normal level. My Jeep has an upgraded stereo so music at any speed is clear with full range of tones- Bronco however is not. At low speeds the Bronco (non lux) is okay - but road and tire noise does overwhelm it. The mirror situation is quite obvious - Jeep bring your own, Bronco has you covered.

The Wrangler does have a security option that I hope the Bronco adopts. A few companies offer an under front seat security drawer large enough for two handguns, $10,000 cash, and two extra handgun magazines. Unfortunately, the under seat vents in the Bronco might impede this type of security option.

I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend of open vehicle driving in the Bronco and to be honest- everything is still off!!

tempImage2j1qCJ.png
I have read that JL doors are lighter than the Bronco but the Bronco doors are easier to grab them, hold them and better balanced which made them seem lighter. I think the difference is something around 10 pounds for rear doors and 5 pounds for front doors.

Sponsored

FastAndLight

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, BMW M5, BMW 325iX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you want the open air experience I think there's two necessities. One is a washout floor. Two is a Bimini top. Then you can go completely naked, er, topless and doorless and then whip on the Bimini if you get rain.
I have zero experience in removable top vehicles, but will something like the GearShade top (https://www.gearshade.com/products/bronco-gearshade-tops/) actually keep out water? Or do you mean a top more substantial than that mesh?

Luterdan

Raptor
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Arcadia, VW Tiguan, Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have zero experience in removable top vehicles, but will something like the GearShade top (https://www.gearshade.com/products/bronco-gearshade-tops/) actually keep out water? Or do you mean a top more substantial than that mesh?
That is a mesh top, while it will keep "some" water off of you, it's not waterproof. It will probably keep you pretty dry while driving, and may keep you less wet when stopped, water will get in. Also without doors or back, water will get into vehicle.

BigGarnet

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed. The number one way criminals get guns is by stealing them from vehicles. Plus, if you think you have time to unlock a safe and retrieve your firearm, you don’t actually need it.
Just a little clarification, vehicle theft of firearms is not even close to the number one way criminals get firearms. A 2019 DOJ study found about 6% of firearms used in a crime were stolen..it doesn't discern from where, but obviously it's less than 6% from vehicles.

Secondly, gun safes are used in a vehicle for when you can't carry legally...such as a situation where you have to go into a federal building, but are carrying. You secure the weapon in the vehicle and leave it behind. Then when back, you can resume your normal legal carry.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

555-RGNE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Basequatch 2dr 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've had two JKUs (2012 and 2016) and a JLU (2020). Both iterations were windy as hell with the top off and worse with the doors off, obviously. The JL was a little better, but only slightly. The main issue was the swirling winds for the back seat passengers - my kids hated riding with me when the top was off because the wind made them feel like they were in a washing machine. Like someone above said, you could really tell how much the wind swirled by the amount of moisture that accumulated on the inside of the windshield.

I took the top off on my 2 door Bronco this weekend and was pleasantly surprised at how calm it was. It was still windy, but it didn't beat the crap out of you like the Jeeps. My wife has long hair and was constantly fighting to keep it out of her face in the Jeeps, even while in a pony tail with a cap on. In the Bronco, she never had to pull it out of her face. It's a remarkable improvement. Once we get out of the "surprise rain" season, I'll take the doors off for a few days and see how it does.

Sponsored

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Wrangler does have a security option that I hope the Bronco adopts. A few companies offer an under front seat security drawer large enough for two handguns, $10,000 cash, and two extra handgun magazines. Unfortunately, the under seat vents in the Bronco might impede this type of security option.
Well what a relief, I might have been concerned about those pesky under-seat vents, but I don’t have two handguns, extra magazines or $10,000 of cash to keep in my Bronco, so no worries.

wyobronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond 2 DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My top is off whenever the weather is decent, so twice in Wyoming lol. I almost took the doors off but will wait a couple weeks.

I love having the top off. I think the radio is fine but I did upgrade the speakers. I can still do hands free most of the time on phone calls, and have normal conversations. The back seat is louder and windier but who cares about them 😂

I will have the top and doors off as much as possible.

Ford Bronco Topless Doorless Experience Comparison Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler (by owner of both) 8CE4BC5E-1E23-4C7D-8B79-112F26B09507

Wolfie272

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wrangler, 19 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
yeah., well...... my BB has carpet.
Then you get wet. BUT.. my Wrangler has a fold up cover. Bring it when I go out with threat of weather. In a pinch you could pull over and throw the cover on. A tarp could work, but you’d need to tie it pretty strategically. You’re probably still wet, but maybe you can save the carpet.
I’ll be interested to see if my Jeep cover fits the Bronco. Haven’t seen an aftermarket one specifically for Bronco yet, haven’t looked either.

BMcCJ

Black Diamond
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, 56TBird, Atlas, Miata
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

thats where ready cash comes in handy to tip the valet. 🤠
Sponsored