Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After my "warmup" trip through Labrador and Newfoundland in July, it was time to really see what the The Hulk and I can really handle. Had some butt puckering moments along the way but 16 days, 14671Km later, we both survived and got back in one piece.
Beautiful scenery and photos! Thanks for sharing. :love:

What were the "butt puckering moments along the way"? 😲
Sponsored

SurfsUp85

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 door Outer Banks, Kia soul 4u
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

After my "warmup" trip through Labrador and Newfoundland in July, it was time to really see what the The Hulk and I can really handle. Had some butt puckering moments along the way but 16 days, 14671Km later, we both survived and got back in one piece.

Trip counter rolled over:
dash1.jpg

Banff area:
banff1.jpg
banff4.jpg

banff3.jpg

Spray Lakes area(Highway 742)
spray_lakes2.jpg

spray_lakes3.jpg

I'm happy to say, this was really the only damage I suffered through out the whole trip (so far as I can tell so far). I was also expecting these to cause me some trouble. I had noticed that these M&R fog lights had come loose from some previous high speed off-roading. I was going to fix this issue before I left on the trip but didn't have the time. I did come prepared and quickly fixed it with some zip ties and tape. Two of the other lights were loose as well.
spray_lakes_damage.jpg

spray_lakes5.jpg
spray_lakes6.jpg

Canmore:
canmore1.jpg

Cline River:
cline_river1.jpg

Ice Fields Parkway:
icefields1.jpg
icefields2.jpg

icefields3.jpg

icefields4.jpg

At the Athabasca Glacier viewing area all by my self (around 7 am). Not a single person showed up till about 30-40 mins after I got here. I had the whole place to my self. It was a little eerie but peaceful.
athabasca1.jpg

Bear Glacier:
bear_glacier1.jpg

Stewart, BC:
stewart1.jpg

stewart2.jpg

Salmon Glacier:
salmon_glacier1.jpg

salmon_glacier2.jpg

salmon_glacier3.jpg

salmon_glacier4.jpg

salmon_glacier5.jpg

salmon_glacier6.jpg
salmon_glacier9.jpg

Yellowhead Highway:
yellowhead1.jpg

Dempster Highway/Tombstone Territorial Park
This place was simply gorgeous. I don't know what it looks like during summer but I feel like I picked the perfect time to visit. I didn't want to leave...
dempster1.jpg

tombstone1.jpg

tombstone2.jpg
tombstone3.jpg
tombstone4.jpg
tombstone5.jpg
tombstone6.jpg
tombstone8.jpg
tombstone9.jpg

This is as far as I went. I wish I had 3-4 more days of vacation so I can drive all the way up to Tuktoyaktuk and dip my feet in the Arctic ocean.
tombstone10.jpg

A reminder that this highway is not to be taken lightly.
tombstone11.jpg
tombstone12.jpg

tombstone13.jpg
tombstone14.jpg

Thankfully Jasper opened up on my way back. The Chetamon wildfires had caused power outages and I had to avoid staying here on my way to the Yukon.
jasper3.jpg

I have a large amount of videos/drone footage to go through. Hopefully ill update this thread with a video.
This is insane!!!

Please YouTube your adventure. I live in Windsor and would do a similar trip with my Bronco.

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What a cool trip with miles of open road!!
The story of the sourtoe is just too good, too!
On my Bucket List as of right now.
:cool:(y)

OP
OP
thehulk

thehulk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E63S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Damn, that looks amazing. I’ve been wanting to drive up to the Yukon for a couple years now. I’d like to make it to Dawson City.
Curious as to how much planning you did before you hit the road? The biggest concern I have is with the smaller tank on the 2 door, just needing to be proactive with fuel stops up north. How much capacity does your Rotopax setup carry?
Some people are going to think I'm crazy but I did very little planning for where exactly I was going to go and stay. I had been as far west as Stewart/Hyder/Salmon glacier and far north as Watson Lake in the past. I had ideas about where I wanted to go and stay but I was planning as I traveled and booking hotels/B&Bs a day or two during the trip when I had wifi or cell reception. Some of the spots that I camped at I had remembered from previous trips, so I knew some of the places ahead of time. This actually turned out of be good thing since I had to change plans during the trip due to the Chetamon wildfire. I did however prepare for a scenario where something went wrong and I had to survive until help came. I brought along enough food, water and warm clothing to get me through for couple of weeks or more (if rationed).

Yes, the small tank is a pain but it really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I was taking breaks every 2h or so and I would just fuel up during those times. The problem people might run into is if you are driving at night. In most places the gas stations are closed and don't open till like 8am. Up in the Yukon, I had no issues since there were places to put in gas 24/7 using credit card. The only time I actually HAD to use my spare tanks was on the way back. I began the final leg of the trip leaving Thunder Bay at aound 4:30 am to Toronto. The fog was so bad I was more concerned about not killing my self and didn't pay attention to the route Google was sending me. It ended up sending me through northern Ontario and I only realized it when I needed gas. The spare tanks definitely saved me from being stranded. The FuelPax are 2 x 2 gallon. I would have preferred to get larger ones but this was all I could find at the time. I'm also not sure I want to attach bigger tanks to the spare tire even with the tailgate reinforcement.

OP
OP
thehulk

thehulk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E63S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

looks like a good trip a lot of nice pictures … seems your also in Canada where did you get your gas can mount that you have strapped around your spare tire
The jerry can mount is an EZ Rack from Rock slide Engineering (https://rockslideengineering.com/product/ez-rack-kit/) with 2x RotopaX 2 gallon FulepaX + 2x DLX fuel mounts.

[/QUOTE]
This is insane!!!

Please YouTube your adventure. I live in Windsor and would do a similar trip with my Bronco.
I'm trying to put something together but I'm a complete noob when it comes to video editing. It will take a bit of time.

Sponsored
OP
OP
thehulk

thehulk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E63S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Beautiful scenery and photos! Thanks for sharing. :love:

What were the "butt puckering moments along the way"? 😲
Well lets see, animals running in front of car/chillin on the highway, falling asleep a couple of times (just for a split second but scary as hell when you could end up going over the edge of a mountain), having to reverse on the side of a mountain with about a meter of clearance and a vertical drop on the passenger side, engine feeling like it was about to stall when off roading near salmon glacier (the thought of a fuel pump failure crossed my mind), hitting some potholes that I think would have absolutely destroyed the tire/wheel/suspension of a normal vehicle There were others but I'm just very glad that nothing actually did go wrong. I think the only animal I killed was what appeared to be a bat flying into my car at dawn one morning.

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for sharing the adventure. Can I ask what mud flaps you got?

OP
OP
thehulk

thehulk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E63S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for sharing the adventure. Can I ask what mud flaps you got?
They are the WeatherTech mud flaps. The rears fit and look great IMO but most people (including myself) had doubts about the front ones offering good protection. The gap between the fender flare and the flap seemed like it would allow debris through. Surprisingly, nothing seem to get through that but there is still a lot that get thrown up by the tire and make it past the fronts. I suspect that is an issue with most of the mud flaps unless they hung very low. For around $150 Canadian though, it's very good. Only thing I do wish is that it was quick release.

Ford Bronco Toronto to Tombstone Territorial Park, Yukon and Back in The Hulk Badlands Bronco mud_flaps

Sponsored

Scopebit

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Some people are going to think I'm crazy but I did very little planning for where exactly I was going to go and stay.
I find this kind of planning usually leads to the most memorable trips, instead of going along with a laid out plan.

My first trip to Anchorage in the winter solo, all I had was a flight in, a hotel for 10 days, and a flight back.
Everything in between was planned the night before.
Ended up flying to Fairbanks for an overnighter, drove to Alyeska and went skiing once, drove to Seward for glaciers, and went dog sledding for an overnight trip. Also found some ice fishers so I asked them to drill me a hole and joined them as a bald eagle sat a few meters away waiting for my(his) catch. Too bad for it though, my feet got too cold I had to leave!

It was so great that I tried to recreate this trip a few years later with others, but it wasn't close to the same experience.

The FuelPax are 2 x 2 gallon.
I got the Hammerbuilt reinforcement and threw on a 3 gal Rotopax, but now you've got me thinking. 3 gal is roughly 45 miles for my 2 door.

Overall, awesome pics, in an awesome rig, during an obviously even more awesome trip. I'm in total envy right now and starting to feel the stir crazy sinking in.
Hope to enjoy some of your vids soon!

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Is it just the lighting, or did you paint your MIC Top? And fender flares for that matter.
Looks really good in this picture.

OP
OP
thehulk

thehulk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E63S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I find this kind of planning usually leads to the most memorable trips, instead of going along with a laid out plan.

My first trip to Anchorage in the winter solo, all I had was a flight in, a hotel for 10 days, and a flight back.
Everything in between was planned the night before.
Ended up flying to Fairbanks for an overnighter, drove to Alyeska and went skiing once, drove to Seward for glaciers, and went dog sledding for an overnight trip. Also found some ice fishers so I asked them to drill me a hole and joined them as a bald eagle sat a few meters away waiting for my(his) catch. Too bad for it though, my feet got too cold I had to leave!

It was so great that I tried to recreate this trip a few years later with others, but it wasn't close to the same experience.

I got the Hammerbuilt reinforcement and threw on a 3 gal Rotopax, but now you've got me thinking. 3 gal is roughly 45 miles for my 2 door.

Overall, awesome pics, in an awesome rig, during an obviously even more awesome trip. I'm in total envy right now and starting to feel the stir crazy sinking in.
Hope to enjoy some of your vids soon!
Exactly how I feel! There were so many cools things that happened unexpectedly on this trip starting from the first day. It was early in the morning September 4th about 2-3 hours from Thunder Bay and I actually saw the Northern Lights for the first time in my life! It was a bucket list item that I thought I would have to travel somewhere far north to see. I do have a very shitty video of it that I managed to capture with cell phone. I'm not going to bother posting because of the crappy quality. There are videos of it on YouTube though.

As for the fuel, I feel that even the 4 gal isn't enough.

OP
OP
thehulk

thehulk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E63S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it just the lighting, or did you paint your MIC Top? And fender flares for that matter.
Looks really good in this picture.
Hah! This was taken early morning around 6-6:30 am I believe. It's just the condensation making it look like that.
Sponsored