First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco 4d 2.7 MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Had a similar situation years ago with a truck. Was on a toll road and a truck in front of me started losing his load of plastic bags of paper trash. Thought I swerved enough to avoid them but apparently one caught underneath and was stuck at the catalytic converter. Someone pulled up next to and pointed for me to pull over. No sooner then I got out of the truck, the undercarriage and engine bay were ablaze.
Sponsored

Axle Roads

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 2 Door, 2017 Nissan Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Super scary! I’m so sorry to see that, and I’m very glad no one was hurt. I hope insurance treats you well. At the very least this gives a you a chance to change any model/trim/color options you may have wished you had went with the first time. Best of luck to you.

CaptMorgan

Base
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Been a certified fire investigator 20yrs. I'm pretty sure.
Then you should know that, without examining it, you can’t make a blanket statement like that.

ADK23

Outer Banks
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2 Dr
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Please update if or when a cause is determined. Glad nobody got hurt
So this happened yesterday. Had just hit 25k miles on my '22 Badlands Bronco. Pulled into a rest area. Shut the vehicle off. Was gone at most 5 minutes and walked out to see black smoke pouring out of the hood. Fire was contained to the engine bay until the flames were so high the hard top caught fire, and the rest is history. Fire department was unable to determine cause. Up until this point, I have had zero issues with the vehicle. Sad day...

Update: it's a 2.7 Auto

20230502_164301.jpg

20230502_171329.jpg

20230502_171658.jpg

20230502_172029.jpg

20230502_171910.jpg
Happy to see that you were not hurt. Of course, very sad to see your beautiful bronco go up in flames. I’m curious if you had any sort of aftermarket electrical lighting or anything like that or was this purely a stock vehicle? Please keep us in the loop when you find the cause. Hope you get a new bronco soon.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So this happened yesterday. Had just hit 25k miles on my '22 Badlands Bronco. Pulled into a rest area. Shut the vehicle off. Was gone at most 5 minutes and walked out to see black smoke pouring out of the hood. Fire was contained to the engine bay until the flames were so high the hard top caught fire, and the rest is history. Fire department was unable to determine cause. Up until this point, I have had zero issues with the vehicle. Sad day...

20230502_164301.jpg

20230502_171329.jpg

20230502_171658.jpg

20230502_172029.jpg

20230502_171910.jpg
How sad! Gives new meaning to the word "total loss!" I hope you find out "why?"!

Sponsored

c_hack

Black Diamond
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford F-150 FX2
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ugh well I guess I will be parking at the end of the driveway until further notice.
Two new fears unlocked today.

Avoid parking in garage to prevent spontaneously combusting Bronco fires burning the house down, or park in garage to avoid bird nest Bronco fires. Pick your poison? 🔥💥🦅

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are they fine staying in the vehicle year round, even in summer heat? Asking from Texas where temps regularly stay above 100F and the vehicle temps are somewhere between hell and death (but not quite as hot as OP’s ☹)
Yes, most fire extinguishers are going to be rated for extreme temps. Make sure you check out the ratings. There are also other options like Element 50 extinguishers.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.7 auto... yeah, not sure how anyone could pinpoint the cause in that mess.
Damn that bites!

Hey man, in one of your pics I can see a rats nest of wires that are all crossed up and bundled. I am sure it’s your lights.

I also have Baja Design lights as you do that I installed.

Who did your installation? Also, what wiring harness is that?

I fear what the adjuster is going to do to you in this case, so it’ll likely be a battle.

Lesson for all readers; wires should be folded, not jumbled, as it can create magnetic issues which concentrate energy. Also, if your wires are near a heat source, things like this can happen like under extreme heat during a long road trip or in the summer. Finally, if you did your own wiring, check it from time to time.

Wires should be zip tied to secure somewhat tightly when you have excess and of course keep away from the heat and always ground your connections.

Did you connect to Upfitter switches and did you use heat shrinks or weather connection covers? I’d say that’s likely the source.

If this were Ford‘s fault, we’d see a lot of them and we don’t. Modern car inspection and QC processes are far too robust for things like this to squeeze through.

Let’s all just learn the lesson from wiring and connecting things to our batteries to be as cautious as possible.

Wish you the best man.

CatMonkey

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2012 Shelby GT500, 2021 Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
OP, was the engine running or was it off? If it was off, I doubt it was electrical. Pavement on fire would seem to indicate some flammable liquid, unless it's molten plastic or other composite materials.

Sponsored
OP
OP

KRoyal080

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP, was the engine running or was it off? If it was off, I doubt it was electrical. Pavement on fire would seem to indicate some flammable liquid, unless it's molten plastic or other composite materials.
Engine was shutoff. Everything that was burning on the ground were molten parts of the vehicle.

sjudas

Big Bend
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

20230502_164301.jpg

20230502_171329.jpg

20230502_171658.jpg

20230502_172029.jpg

20230502_171910.jpg
Wow. That is crazy. Sorry.

tokyo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
siennavenzasparkXDfit
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So sorry OP for your loss and echo the sentiment that glad no one was hurt.
Sponsored

Last edited: