Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wasn’t a dig at Baja quality. I’m under no delusion he turned his truck off and the Baja wire harness turned flame thrower. Everyone knows Baja makes the highest quality lights, it’s not even debatable (quality). Unless someone hard wires a big ass fuse on a tiny ass wire because they seen on a forum a secret wire goes from here to there. Well then, YouTube happens. That’s just a example on how anything can catch fire, I know nothing about the op’s wiring or blaming him in anyway. .

I think that was a whole lot of something that was hot for a minute. Burning hot enough to ignite but to windy to catch fire. That’s how I read it from the info provided.

I figured when he said anyway possible he was talking free lights for the next rig. You know? Like hey man, we’re sorry your truck burnt up. We saw our lights were on it. If you ever get a replacement shoot us a email. We’ll send ya out a bronco starter kit. Figured you supported us, we could support ya back. Maybe some others will pitch in and make the loss not so painful.
Gotcha, yeah that'd be a great way for BD to give back to their customers.

BS, I’ve seen four 3516 Caterpillar engines burn up because of coolant leaks spraying on hot exhaust manifolds and one 3612 cat And they were a 50/50 mix.
So tell me, what part of this did you not read?

"It would have to be a rather large heat source with a direct path to the leak, such as a leak spraying directly onto a turbo or manifold, but again, with as rapidly as coolant will quench those components, they would have to be running (relatively hard, at that) in order to maintain that autoignition temperature long enough for it to develop a fire. It's certainly possible for a coolant leak to start a fire when you're driving, but I'm not so certain that would be the case with a vehicle that was actively cooling off"

Cats aren't small engines that cool off quickly either, they would certainly qualify as a rather large heat source, running or otherwise. A little turbo on a 2.7L engine that wasn't running, no, not so much. Seems like whoever you were working with needed a better maintenance program or more competent fire prevention measures too, hopefully you've moved on to greener pastures. I was a lease operator for a field that had a lot of Ajax compressors, and seeing how they maintained their equipment, I wasn't there for very long.
Sponsored

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ouch, that sort of thing is scary. My bet is on a software glitch.

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So this happened yesterday. Had just hit 25k miles on my '22 Badlands Bronco. Pulled into a rest area. Shut the vehicle off. Was gone at most 5 minutes and walked out to see black smoke pouring out of the hood. Fire was contained to the engine bay until the flames were so high the hard top caught fire, and the rest is history. Fire department was unable to determine cause. Up until this point, I have had zero issues with the vehicle. Sad day...

Update: it's a 2.7 Auto

20230502_164301.jpg

20230502_171329.jpg

20230502_171658.jpg

20230502_172029.jpg

20230502_171910.jpg
looks like your from Michigan what rest area were you at. Sorry to see you loss :(

4Fords

Outer Banks
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, OuterBanks, Bigbend, Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So this happened yesterday. Had just hit 25k miles on my '22 Badlands Bronco. Pulled into a rest area. Shut the vehicle off. Was gone at most 5 minutes and walked out to see black smoke pouring out of the hood. Fire was contained to the engine bay until the flames were so high the hard top caught fire, and the rest is history. Fire department was unable to determine cause. Up until this point, I have had zero issues with the vehicle. Sad day...

Update: it's a 2.7 Auto

20230502_164301.jpg

20230502_171329.jpg

20230502_171658.jpg

20230502_172029.jpg

20230502_171910.jpg
Wow, glad you’re ok! Just like most chimneys and foundations-looks like fire department saved your spare tire!

OP
OP

KRoyal080

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
looks like your from Michigan what rest area were you at. Sorry to see you loss :(
Ohio actually... 75 south between mile markers 151 and 152

OP
OP

KRoyal080

Badlands
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wow, glad you’re ok! Just like most chimneys and foundations-looks like fire department saved your spare tire!
Lol yes they did

Sponsored

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Everyone modifies these vehicles so we can’t blame ford just yet. Please update with a new thread if you do find the cause so we can all learn from it.
If this is a systemic problem with the Bronco we would have heard about it by now, and NHTSA would be all over it. These fires are rare but they do happen, I saw one a few weeks ago it was a sedan. And yes they often can determine a probable cause even with this kind of damage.

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can't rule out the possibility of echo terroism. I had a guy on a bicycle have a melt down when I was at a stoplight. I didn't do anything to set him off, he just started screaming insults and f-bombs because I was driving a Bronco. Unfortunately its the world we live in, there isn't anything these whackos won't do.
Sponsored

• Sad
Reactions: jon