First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Several weeks ago I nailed a deer. For the last three weeks USAA and the body shop have gone back and forth. USAA originally said $7500 for repairs and deposited it before I even woke up the next morning. The body shop is saying just shy of $18,000. The body shop has a new intercooler, radiator, trans cooler, oil cooler, a/c stuff, headlights, skid plate etc. whereas USAA had none of those. I fear the body shop may be more accurate. The car is 300 miles away. No continued rental, just a one way half day. 107k on the clock.

Ford Bronco Totaled? 0E945240-BC32-4CC3-9A68-33480B074741
Ford Bronco Totaled? 275A03CF-A830-475A-8E1D-282D9E5F5442
Ford Bronco Totaled? C42D1CEF-2B36-4E56-A219-D1239E4B0AE2
Ford Bronco Totaled? 34930B58-74D7-4B11-9F2E-A9C762EEB1D2
Ford Bronco Totaled? B69AE8CC-BFC4-4EA2-B606-1C12B01BBBDB
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can it be fixed? Yes. Is it totaled? You'll have to wait and see.

It depends on your insurance coverage... but typically if the cost to repair is less than the value of the vehicle (minus your deductible), they'll repair it. If not... they'll total it. It's a numbers game and insurance is going to do whatever they can to ensure they spend the least amount of money.

Nowadays with all of the component shortages and the value of junked vehicles it is not uncommon for vehicles to get totaled when they normally wouldn't have say... 2-3 years ago.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Usually the body shop and insurance company work together. I hope you didn't sign off anything with usaa.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Just call USAA, their inspectors can't catch all the damage so they'll just do an adjustment, not a big deal.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The adjuster writes an initial estimate based on visible damages
Then the vehicle is torn down for repairs and then supplements are written

not uncommon at all

actually it’s standard in all 50 states

in Louisiana damage at 75% value and it’s totaled by LAW

You don’t have rental on your policy? Also most companies here have 30 days max. Pre covid that was plenty now it’s not enough 50% of the time

if like to add I do this every single day personally. Not something I read about or experienced one time

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can’t believe they haven’t flat out totaled the vehicle with 107K on the odometer. Regardless, the insurance estimate and the body shop estimate is all part of the “ dance”. They eventually reach an agreeable amount. Good luck.

OP
OP
PrepVet

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The adjuster writes an initial estimate based on visible damages
Then the vehicle is torn down for repairs and then supplements are written

not uncommon at all

actually it’s standard in all 50 states

in Louisiana damage at 75% value and it’s totaled by LAW

You don’t have rental on your policy? Also most companies here have 30 days max. Pre covid that was plenty now it’s not enough 50% of the time

if like to add I do this every single day personally. Not something I read about or experienced one time
In WI it’s 70% but I do not think it is a requirement.

The car is still sitting where the tow truck dropped it 3+ weeks ago. No tear down. Just two separate estimates. I thought the online report for USAA was easy and made sense. Now that it is turning into a long drug out process I am not at all impressed with it.

Why would I need a rental?

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In WI it’s 70% but I do not think it is a requirement.

The car is still sitting where the tow truck dropped it 3+ weeks ago. No tear down. Just two separate estimates. I thought the online report for USAA was easy and made sense. Now that it is turning into a long drug out process I am not at all impressed with it.

Why would I need a rental?
No continued rental, just a one way half day. 107k on the clock.

it didn’t make sense and I still don’t understand that.

well I have no idea how two people that look at the car in person can write that disparaging if an estimate without any disassembly.

good luck

Sponsored
OP
OP
PrepVet

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
No continued rental, just a one way half day. 107k on the clock.

it didn’t make sense and I still don’t understand that.

well I have no idea how two people that look at the car in person can write that disparaging if an estimate without any disassembly.

good luck
No rental is needed for a long time. I just needed a rental for a one way half day trip home. There is 107k miles on the car.

And only one appraiser looked at the car in person. USAA was all done on their app. And they had the smaller payout for repairs in my bank account before I even woke up the next morning.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No rental is needed for a long time. I just needed a rental for a one way half day trip home. There is 107k miles on the car.

And only one appraiser looked at the car in person. USAA was all done on their app. And they had the smaller payout for repairs in my bank account before I even woke up the next morning.
It won’t matter in the end. Supplemental appraisal paperwork may be submitted two or three times before it’s all said and done. I had one through USAA that was initially paid at $11k, was $21k before all was said and done. USAA paid without any issue.

OP
OP
PrepVet

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m not worried about them not paying out of it is totaled. I am hoping it isn’t. Additionally it is a real pain that is nearly a month on and they still haven’t made a decision.

Jim Walter

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
USAA is usually very very good about assessing damages and determining whether a vehicle is repairable or totaled. Surprised to hear the gap in "estimates" for repair

OP
OP
PrepVet

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well, USAA finally talked to me with more than... we are waiting for documents. The body shop sent there portion to the wrong damn email. Now USAA said they will have a decision by Wednesday. The total cost from the body shop is actually $19,500. I was taking out the $1,000 deductible before. Not sure if that matters to their adjusters. What is a 2015 Expedition EL XLT with 107k on the clock even worth right now? It looks like $21,500? Damn; for sure totaled then, and tough to find a newer one I want. She was paid off with a warranty that goes until 31DEC2099 and unlimited miles. I was going to drive it into the ground.
Sponsored