Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Towing newb. I've seen some posts saying you can always add a tow hitch part onto vehicles from Amazon etc. or have a shop do it for under $500.

But is there a chance that welding would be required for base to add it? Or is it always self-installable add on once aftermarket catches up?
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Towing newb. I've seen some posts saying you can always add a tow hitch part onto vehicles from Amazon etc. or have a shop do it for under $500.

But is there a chance that welding would be required for base to add it? Or is it always self-installable add on once aftermarket catches up?
Highly doubt welding will be required. OEM reciever bolts through cross member of the frame... basically all modern aftermarket receivers use the same mounting style.

Last edited:

Beef78

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus and 71 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

There’s a chance, but unlikely. The one from the factory appears to install through holes that are probably pre-drilled into the frame. So, it is likely after market options will just be bolt on.

wavydave

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G8 GXP, 04 F150 FX4, Wildtrak 2DR, Badlands 4DR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Highly doubt welding will be required. OEM reciever bolts through cross member of the frame... basically all modern aftermarket receivers use the same mounting points.
Offered by Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch, Curt, Reese...

and can be installed from minutes to an afternoon. It all depending if any trim needs to be moved around.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks all, one more reason to save money and stick with base!
Except that nobody knows if it will be available by the time we get our trucks. MY 2022 has a better chance but no way to know.

OP
OP
aplm7

aplm7

Black Diamond
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Except that nobody knows if it will be available by the time we get our trucks. MY 2022 has a better chance but no way to know.
True I can wait, not towing often I'll just rent till then. Squatch yes

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Highly doubt welding will be required. OEM reciever bolts through cross member of the frame... basically all modern aftermarket receivers use the same mounting style.
Adding picture for reference
bronco_parts_03-jpg.jpg

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hell, when I put a hitch on my 14 fusion it took the place I had put it on about 15 minutes (I only did the hitch & no wiring) to put on. I believe the bronco will be just as easy for the actual hitch mounting.

Sponsored

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Towing newb myself: if I understand the comments in this thread correctly, it shouldn't be an issue to install a hitch to the base aftermarket?

Follow up question: an aftermarket hitch won't stick down farther than the factory installed one will it? I'm mostly thinking about departure angles

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Follow up question: an aftermarket hitch won't stick down farther than the factory installed one will it? I'm mostly thinking about departure angles
A WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch) will more than likely stick down further that the factory installed one.

With that said..... several Aftermarket Bumpers have the receiver incorporated within them and "might" even offer a better departure angle than the factory installed hitch.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The receiver hitch itself should be easy peasy. The thing I would be worried about is wiring for the lights. Hopefully there will be a pigtail on a harness that would allow a simple plug n play. Many manufacturers do this to streamline production. One master harness across the board and different models use specific pieces of it. My Wrangler didn't have towing but I added it myself for $50 and about an hour of my time. Used receiver hitch off of Craigslist and a plug n play wiring harness from Quadratec. If there is no such harness or pigtail from the factory, it will require running wires to the battery and some creative cutting and splicing.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The receiver hitch itself should be easy peasy. The thing I would be worried about is wiring for the lights. Hopefully there will be a pigtail on a harness that would allow a simple plug n play. Many manufacturers do this to streamline production. One master harness across the board and different models use specific pieces of it. My Wrangler didn't have towing but I added it myself for $50 and about an hour of my time. Used receiver hitch off of Craigslist and a plug n play wiring harness from Quadratec. If there is no such harness or pigtail from the factory, it will require running wires to the battery and some creative cutting and splicing.
How much do you see it costing in both scenarios?

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands