Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks to info from posters and others in other threads, seems as though hitch is easy, 4 pin is easy, 7 pin a little more in depth. My hang up is I need 7 pin to power my trailer brakes. Ill also need a trailer brake controller.

Came across this the Autowbrake www.getautowbrake.com From the video and info it seems this controller mounts directly to the trailer- no wiring a controller into the vehicle- great. Also need more info, but there is a 4 pin workaround where you take power from the taillights to power this and the brakes. Could allow for simple 4 pin wiring and solve my needs. Anyone have experience with this device?
Now this could be a game changer for BaseSAS buyers who are feeling the need to move up to Big Bend or Black Diamond, simply to get tow package for trailer brake capability. I happen to be one of these Bronco buyers. Thank you for sharing this, it's my first time seeing this product. Time to do some digging on this product.
Sponsored

cbrownabq

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge 2500 diesel
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wow good find! This should work with Curt 4- pin wiring and 4-pin to 7-pin adapter. No 7pin wiring needed. Interesting

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So, I've dug in and watched some of the video reviews. One review mentioned he wouldn't tap into the power at the taillights.

Guy from etrailer. I'm attaching the review. I believe it was in this one where he wouldn't recommend doing that and instead run direct 12v power from the battery. 🤷‍♂️ I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's in this video. I've watched a few, so if it's not accurate, I'm sorry.

etrailer review

edit: I'll add I can't find too many negative reviews outside of normal complaints of overly critical people. For the most part buyers are happy with the product. I do have an email out to my dealer to see what their thoughts are on this product and the potential to put it on a BaseSas model.

OP
OP
Tripodbruno

Tripodbruno

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma(no more) F-250, Hiker Trailer, Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, agree, looks like this gets pretty positive reviews. Im going to do some testing to see if I can deal without power from the vehicle to my trailer. Right now power charges my trailer as I drive. But I have it on a battery maintainer in my garage and a solar system for when its parked. Dont know if I really need power from the vehicle. If not this will work perfectly and I will just do a 4 pin. I still may do this instead of a regular trailer brake if I end up waiting for the factory tow package. I hate how most of them install right above your knees.

Sponsored

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ok, I will apologize if I have missed it. Most of us are aware of the tow package constraint. I cannot do without it long term. I’m nervous to drop it and face the future cost of wiring it in (I’m not super confident doing it myself.) as well I have not seen any plug and play 7pin options only 4 pin. My trailer has brakes, I’ll need a brake controller too. The hitch part is easy. If I’m missing an easy option or anyone or a sponsor has one in the works please post a reply. Thanks.

Don’t do it! You cannot replicate the factory tow package at this point. You can add a 4 pin through a variety of ways but you are far better off waiting for factory if you need 7pin.

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you need a 7-pin plug with electric brakes... quite honestly I would just do the factory tow package.

The Bronco when loaded with other gear can only tow around 3000-3100 lbs. In terms of towing that's basically nothing—the Bronco is absolutely not a towing vehicle and is actually worse than most SUVs on the market. The Explorer, for example, tows up to 5300 lbs in most configurations.

In most states, you don't even legally need brakes unless you are towing over 3000 lbs, which is why it makes a TON of sense to skip the tow package and just get the hitch and 4-pin wiring harness from the accessories website for the vast majority of Bronco owners. It also makes a ton of sense if you are towing a boat/jet ski trailer over 3000 lbs, as marine trailers tend to have passive surge brakes instead of electric brakes.

BUT, for you... the person who does need a trailer brake controller. The tow package is the right answer. Keep in mind that the tow package itself doesn't not come with the brake controller, so you'll still have to buy and install that separately. You can do it yourself but it requires you to rip out your center console, so if you aren't confident just get your dealer to do it.

To be clear, it is possible to install a 7-pin plug and a trailer brake controller without the factory tow package. But if you aren't doing it yourself, it will be somewhat pricey. You have to run 10-12 gauge wires from the fuse box all the way back to the rear of the vehicle to support the 30 Amp aux power circuit that a 7-pin requires, and you'll be splicing into your tail lights and whatnot for everything else.
Wait! A well written, informative response without judgement or sarcasm???
Are you new here?
Thanks @RagnarKon

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, agree, looks like this gets pretty positive reviews. Im going to do some testing to see if I can deal without power from the vehicle to my trailer. Right now power charges my trailer as I drive. But I have it on a battery maintainer in my garage and a solar system for when its parked. Dont know if I really need power from the vehicle. If not this will work perfectly and I will just do a 4 pin. I still may do this instead of a regular trailer brake if I end up waiting for the factory tow package. I hate how most of them install right above your knees.
We’re just getting into camping as a family (3 and 6 yr old boys), so we hit campgrounds that typically have power. Then I’m planning to adventure during the day in the Bronco. All I need is the ability to have trailer brakes with 4 pin and this seems to solve the issue. I can save $5k-$10k on the Bronco going BaseSas, which would be phenomenal.

If I end up getting factory tow package, I’m with you in thinking this will be my trailer brake controller purchase.

Last edited:

Sponsored

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the info, well aware of the Bronco towing weight limits- run a ‘Hiker Off-Road’ trailer which is ~1600lbs dry and ~2100lbs loaded. Ran the first year I had it w/o brakes then added electric brakes and made a world of difference. Have a utility trailer too but just 4pin no brakes. I plan to order a brake controller once it arrives. Splicing is what I’m nervous about- so I probably will just wait it out. Unless a plug and play solution comes out. Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Happy waiting.
From looking at installing directions it’s drill one hole in the center arm rest run wires plug in and your all set not much to it.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you need a 7-pin plug with electric brakes... quite honestly I would just do the factory tow package.

The Bronco when loaded with other gear can only tow around 3000-3100 lbs. In terms of towing that's basically nothing—the Bronco is absolutely not a towing vehicle and is actually worse than most SUVs on the market. The Explorer, for example, tows up to 5300 lbs in most configurations.

In most states, you don't even legally need brakes unless you are towing over 3000 lbs, which is why it makes a TON of sense to skip the tow package and just get the hitch and 4-pin wiring harness from the accessories website for the vast majority of Bronco owners. It also makes a ton of sense if you are towing a boat/jet ski trailer over 3000 lbs, as marine trailers tend to have passive surge brakes instead of electric brakes.

BUT, for you... the person who does need a trailer brake controller. The tow package is the right answer. Keep in mind that the tow package itself doesn't not come with the brake controller, so you'll still have to buy and install that separately. You can do it yourself but it requires you to rip out your center console, so if you aren't confident just get your dealer to do it.

To be clear, it is possible to install a 7-pin plug and a trailer brake controller without the factory tow package. But if you aren't doing it yourself, it will be somewhat pricey. You have to run 10-12 gauge wires from the fuse box all the way back to the rear of the vehicle to support the 30 Amp aux power circuit that a 7-pin requires, and you'll be splicing into your tail lights and whatnot for everything else.
Why would you have to rip out the center console? There is a blank space next to my headlight switch. Or is the wiring in the console for some reason? I have not test any instructions yet but will be adding a controller sometime. I like the idea of the Curt one but I would have to tether it to the vehicle. Roads are rough and I see that bouncing down the road.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why would you have to rip out the center console? There is a blank space next to my headlight switch. Or is the wiring in the console for some reason? I have not test any instructions yet but will be adding a controller sometime. I like the idea of the Curt one but I would have to tether it to the vehicle. Roads are rough and I see that bouncing down the road.
I was referring to the installation instructions for the Ford-approved brake controller. They have you tearing open the center console and drilling a hole to install the brake gain knob. The knob would be right next to the window/side mirror switches in the center console, and there is a wiring harness under the dash that you can access from the passenger side where the controller itself plugs into.

Obviously if you do the installation yourself (with either the Ford-approved controller or a 3rd party controller) you can do whatever the heck you want. But if you follow Ford's instructions or get the dealer to install it... that's where they'll put the gain knob.

EDIT-- Photo for reference. Red circle is roughly where the gain knob would go.

Ford Bronco Tow options if I drop tow package? 1645296221382
Sponsored

Last edited: