Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma(no more) F-250, Hiker Trailer, Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, I will apologize if I have missed it. Most of us are aware of the tow package constraint. I cannot do without it long term. I’m nervous to drop it and face the future cost of wiring it in (I’m not super confident doing it myself.) as well I have not seen any plug and play 7pin options only 4 pin. My trailer has brakes, I’ll need a brake controller too. The hitch part is easy. If I’m missing an easy option or anyone or a sponsor has one in the works please post a reply. Thanks.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you need a 7-pin plug with electric brakes... quite honestly I would just do the factory tow package.

The Bronco when loaded with other gear can only tow around 3000-3100 lbs. In terms of towing that's basically nothing—the Bronco is absolutely not a towing vehicle and is actually worse than most SUVs on the market. The Explorer, for example, tows up to 5300 lbs in most configurations.

In most states, you don't even legally need brakes unless you are towing over 3000 lbs, which is why it makes a TON of sense to skip the tow package and just get the hitch and 4-pin wiring harness from the accessories website for the vast majority of Bronco owners. It also makes a ton of sense if you are towing a boat/jet ski trailer over 3000 lbs, as marine trailers tend to have passive surge brakes instead of electric brakes.

BUT, for you... the person who does need a trailer brake controller. The tow package is the right answer. Keep in mind that the tow package itself doesn't not come with the brake controller, so you'll still have to buy and install that separately. You can do it yourself but it requires you to rip out your center console, so if you aren't confident just get your dealer to do it.

To be clear, it is possible to install a 7-pin plug and a trailer brake controller without the factory tow package. But if you aren't doing it yourself, it will be somewhat pricey. You have to run 10-12 gauge wires from the fuse box all the way back to the rear of the vehicle to support the 30 Amp aux power circuit that a 7-pin requires, and you'll be splicing into your tail lights and whatnot for everything else.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok, I will apologize if I have missed it. Most of us are aware of the tow package constraint. I cannot do without it long term. I’m nervous to drop it and face the future cost of wiring it in (I’m not super confident doing it myself.) as well I have not seen any plug and play 7pin options only 4 pin. My trailer has brakes, I’ll need a brake controller too. The hitch part is easy. If I’m missing an easy option or anyone or a sponsor has one in the works please post a reply. Thanks.
Order the factor hitch...
Ford Bronco Tow options if I drop tow package? 1642824439442

OP
OP
Tripodbruno

Tripodbruno

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the info, well aware of the Bronco towing weight limits- run a ‘Hiker Off-Road’ trailer which is ~1600lbs dry and ~2100lbs loaded. Ran the first year I had it w/o brakes then added electric brakes and made a world of difference. Have a utility trailer too but just 4pin no brakes. I plan to order a brake controller once it arrives. Splicing is what I’m nervous about- so I probably will just wait it out. Unless a plug and play solution comes out. Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Happy waiting.

Midlife Crisis

Badlands
First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing my 86 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm still researching but I believe the Curt Echo Smart Wireless Brake Controller should be a viable solution.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tripodbruno

Tripodbruno

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome, stuff like this is what I was looking for. Thank you. Specific to this I would want to investigate a lot of reviews on it before buying but may be a good solution for the brake controller.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm still researching but I believe the Curt Echo Smart Wireless Brake Controller should be a viable solution.

So one of the first things he says is you plug it into your seven wire... Which is the whole issue. Wiring in a brake controller isn't that difficult if you already have the 7 pin harness installed.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

There is a 4 pin plug and play (more or less) available for signature type lights. Just need to run 12v to the transition box. No splicing required. But, no 7 pin which means no electric brakes.

Midlife Crisis

Badlands
First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing my 86 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sponsored

Midlife Crisis

Badlands
First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Missing my 86 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wtf...so you need to buy 2 different wiring harnesses for $200, on top of $215 hitch and then do all that labor?

I mean I guess if it works, it's cheaper than the $695 factory option but damn!
It is an option for those wanting to get around the constraint. For those that don't want to get involved with the labor, just wait for Ford to build it the way it was ordered.

OP
OP
Tripodbruno

Tripodbruno

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Suggest to confirm, going the e-trailer route, the 4-pin wiring harness is specific to the Bronco with LED tail lights. However the 7-pin harness is just universal, and not necessarily designed to be used with the Ford brake controller, correct?

I was thinking about getting the P3 anyway instead, but just trying to make sure I understand the alternative.

And how does that compare to the Ford wiring harness (The ones we can order after the fact)? We can only get their 4-pin right? And it sounds like it may be tougher to install.

OP
OP
Tripodbruno

Tripodbruno

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks to info from posters and others in other threads, seems as though hitch is easy, 4 pin is easy, 7 pin a little more in depth. My hang up is I need 7 pin to power my trailer brakes. Ill also need a trailer brake controller.

Came across this the Autowbrake www.getautowbrake.com From the video and info it seems this controller mounts directly to the trailer- no wiring a controller into the vehicle- great. Also need more info, but there is a 4 pin workaround where you take power from the taillights to power this and the brakes. Could allow for simple 4 pin wiring and solve my needs. Anyone have experience with this device?
Sponsored