David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Some of us also weren't allowed to order 53Q. I would have if it was allowed on my trim but for some asinine reason it wasn't (GVWR blah blah blah...).
And some of us need a vehicle to replace an '05 Xterra with 220,000 miles sooner rather than later, and won't need a brake controller for the immediate future.
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Availability means nothing to those who aren't going to get one in the next 6 months anyway.

So why is it not well engineered?

It's engineered well because it does the job it's intended to do with a high level of nice integration with zero additional work required.

If you want to complain about towing capacity that's irrelevant to it being designed the intended specification.
Is it though? To date we've had absolutely zero straight talk from Ford on what they wanted vs. got.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The complexity associated with installing post-production is precisely why there's significant value in just ordering the package from the factory.

As someone perfectly capable of doing this installation, it just doesn't make any sense to spend my time doing it when there's a well-engineered factory option available.
Except, there is NO option on the First Edition for factory tow package. I would like to have at least the 4 pin and a hitch to tow my utility trailer.

LagoCJ

Raptor
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BRaptor and GMC Canyon AT4X
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hey folks...BIG thanks for all the input and research on tow parts and wiring installs. I have been struggling with the 'zero instructions' tow kit wiring harness as well and have been trying to figure out the best and least destructive way to get the wiring harness installed in my brand new Bronco.

So...a question (don't throw anything...legit question)....since the Bronco is built on the Ranger platform, in the same factory, is there any possibility that the rear wiring harness is the same? The reason is Curt Mfg has a T connector for the Ranger to make trailer wiring SIMPLE.

https://www.curtmfg.com/part/56431

Any of you insiders think this might work??? (I hope, I hope, I hope)

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Played around with tow this weekend and have some good, bad and ugly to report.

Good: The wiring is what I thought it was and in the location the wiring diagram said it was.
Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside Trailer1

Even better, the "deadhead" side of these is the correct mating connector. This means we can install a male terminal on a wire and use the connector instead of running additional wires from somewhere else. This should help reduce some time and overall cost.

Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside Trailer3

Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside Trailer5

The interior tail light connector is very accessible and standard Molex MX150.

Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside Trailer4

Bad: I wouldn't say bad as much as some decisions need to be made on how to make the connections.

Option 1: Pull the female terminals needed for the lights, clip the factory end, use a pre crimped wire with a lead solders and insulated to it then reattach to factory wire. Will require at least butt connectors and crimper or soldering gun with some heat shrink and knowledge of what you are doing. Terminal will need to be removed which is not a big deal.

Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside option1

Option 2: Make up something like this for both sides that is a simple plug-unplug deal. A pigtail will still have to be added to the correct circuit and be run back to the trailer light converter. This will be expensive and time consuming. Have not found a Molex MX150 20 pin "T" commercially, would be a huge pita for someone not well versed in installing loose terminals not to mention time consuming, special crimper and connector housings. You would still have to add the pigtail like option #1.

Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside 1627913192720

Option 3: 🤬 These are my least two favorite but the most user friendly and simple. The drawback is these are prone to installation error which leads to connection problems and potential unintended damage to the wires.
Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside 1627913464230

or

Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside 1627913595164

The ugly: I'm not going to say ugly as in unexpected but ugly as in how to approach these.
First: The two 12V+ feeds coming back are hot all the time with key off. This means if you want a dedicated 12V+ for breakaway battery charging or power for accessory lights you might run into a battery draw problem with the trailer attached and vehicle not running. Probably won't impact most folks, especially those that don't need or want this. The only thing you would need to do is remember to unplug the trailer if it's going to sit, attached, for an extended time without running.
Second: There isn't a factory drain plug in a good area to take the 4 or 7 wires out to the hitch. There is a body plug located along the quarter time panel and where the floor meets. To use this it would require the trim to be notched slightly as well as the bottom of the floor panel. The trimming, if done correctly, would not be visible once all the trim is reinstalled. Also, you would need to protect the wires where they pass through the grommet. I wouldn't be comfortable using convoluted tubing.

There is a plastic filler panel below the tail light wiring that would be a perfect spot to take it out but looks like it will require a hole to drilled from the bottom with a step bit and install a grommet that will take it out in a very good location relative to the hitch.

I didn't get into it very deep at home since it was raining. Have a bunch of test drives going so put it back together and waiting to get it up on a lift.

Bottom line, this is very doable weather you want just a 4 pin or 7 pin. Obviously, this doesn't address trailer braking.

Sponsored

RPF

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Raptor 15 Q70S/5.6 19 F-450 21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Are all the wires in place in the connectors for the factory TRM? If so, what happens if you plug the one you ordered in? I wonder if one of those plus the plus a tow-equipped rear bumper harness would end up working after all like on other Ford SUV's seeing as the TRM connectors are in place on a non-tow unit.

Also, is the connector in place under the dash for an aftermarket TBC?

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are all the wires in place in the connectors for the factory TRM? If so, what happens if you plug the one you ordered in? I wonder if one of those plus the plus a tow-equipped rear bumper harness would end up working after all like on other Ford SUV's seeing as the TRM connectors are in place on a non-tow unit.

Also, is the connector in place under the dash for an aftermarket TBC?
I have not seen the wiring that should be run back if it had TT. It come out from under dash to the module, back up front out through the firewall then all the way back. Too many modules involved I can’t “force” to work. Even if I could, the harness isn’t there and would be $$$$ to put the correct one in and hope it all jives.
The TT module uses a network signal to generate the trailer signal independent from the vehicle lights. I’m also assuming it somehow works in conjunction with the add on brake controls.

How bout this?
Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside 9F2D8E34-CDEC-4212-8AA6-75CD1D8E7087

RPF

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Raptor 15 Q70S/5.6 19 F-450 21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
That doesn't look like the usual 6-pin ford TBC plug (see below)

Plug:
Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside rid612120_r3_800

Adapter pigtail "standard" Ford TBC plug to Tekonsha TBC
Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside rid612120_r2_800

Given the Bronco seems to be wired like the Ranger, you won't be able to use the brake switch input from this plug anyway. You have to use the translator box that comes with the Ranger/Bronco TBC kit and tap the 3rd brake light. Another reason why I'm not bothering with a hardwired TBC on the Bronco and using the Curt BT one. But I was interested in if the connector was present without having TT ordered and it appears it is.

The question then becomes what wires are present in the harness pigtails that would connect to the TRM if so equipped. The pictures of the empty TRM plugs that you posted weren't at an angle where I couldn't see all the attached wires to see if all the wires were present that were on the "with Trailer Tow" wiring diagram that you posted.

So here's the big question...were all the wires present on those plugs at the missing TRM module per the "with Trailer Tow" wiring diagram? In particular, the CAN wires.

TRM modules are usually pretty "dumb", not much is configurable on them, usually just VIN. The Forscan team is already working on adding Bronco functionality and it probably wouldn't take too much for them to add any configurable parameters for this module if someone can send them the logs for it. There are people who have figured out how to add SYNC 3 and FordPass modems to vehicles that they were not available on. And work is under way on retrofitting SYNC 4. This module should be a piece of cake in comparison to those projects.

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

CAN wires are there but don’t know if there is signal from the SCM or BCM.

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is the diagram for the last pic I posted for the trailer brake customer access. Wires go over to left side bulkhead connector then out, non-interrupted (no connectors in between C201 and factory trailer plug). Since I can't find any wiring running back on this non TT vehicle along with the parts list showing multiple combinations of this harness with or without tow, I going to assume wires aren't in the C201 side of the circuit.

Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside 1627992968462

Sponsored

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wow, it’s 2021 and that’s how they designed base bronco’s to get tow hitch wiring! 🤯
Here ya go, no waiting if you want to do it this way.

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow, it’s 2021 and that’s how they designed base bronco’s to get tow hitch wiring!
Yea, not sure why they aren't picking up power at the connector factory TT plug here. Just a matter of crimping on one blade terminal and sticking in the plug. I planned on picking up the the turn wires inside. Also mounting the converter on the outside and running wires back in?

Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside 1628100403622

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do they also show the wire crossing from right to left side running along a crack on the floor with tape?

Yea, not sure why they aren't picking up power at the connector factory TT plug here. Just a matter of crimping on one blade terminal and sticking in the plug. I planned on picking up the the turn wires inside. Also mounting the converter on the outside and running wires back in?

Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside 1628100403622

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do they also show the wire crossing from right to left side running along a crack on the floor with tape?
Yes, I'm going to pull the floor which involves removing the tie downs. The harness crosses over behind the rear seat fold down trim. Zip tie the wires to that harness so its protected. Running them like in the pic is OK but not as clean as my way. The quarter trim panels have to come off which means the floor too so why not just piggy back the factory harness?
Sponsored