John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element. 2 Civics and a Kawasaki ZRX1200R
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

How much did that cost? You can pick up those parts (without the ford name and number) at a U-Haul.
Sponsored

Sponsored

mtu_bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don’t get it - there’s nothing really special about a hitch. Bolt it in just like the factory and get a $40 Curt wiring harness. Done.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anyone know if the Tow Package is "dealer installed"?

I guess my question is...if it's installed at MAP - assuming it would be less intrusive because the wiring would be done before the interior is buttoned up.

So, the biggest difference right now is the factory harness + installation is what you get for $595 as opposed to $460 ($350 + $110). So, that being said - $595 is actually a good deal assuming dealer labor rates...it seems the harness/plugs shown in the B&P aren't even available as an accessory at the moment.

The last thing I want is some sloppy 4-pin dangling out the back of my Bronco like it is on the Transit. It gets stashed in the side storage compartment in the cargo area - but, still...

Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 8.25.56 AM

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Anyone know if the Tow Package is "dealer installed"?

I guess my question is...if it's installed at MAP - assuming it would be less intrusive because the wiring would be done before the interior is buttoned up.

So, the biggest difference right now is the factory harness + installation is what you get for $595 as opposed to $460 ($350 + $110). So, that being said - $595 is actually a good deal assuming dealer labor rates...it seems the harness/plugs shown in the B&P aren't even available as an accessory at the moment.

The last thing I want is some sloppy 4-pin dangling out the back of my Bronco like it is on the Transit. It gets stashed in the side storage compartment in the cargo area - but, still...

Ford Bronco Tow Package arrived - contents inside Screen Shot 2021-06-14 at 8.25.56 AM
Tow is factory not dealer. Yeah if it was dealer installed, then we would know it can be done, with wiring and add on parts with reasonable effort. (Meaning you don't have to tear the entire truck apart to get stuff).

But since it's factory, who knows at what point in the build process they do it.

And wiring up a 4-pin after the fact is doable because they sell a wire harness with the appropriate LED adapter box. But for the 7 pin, after the fact, that just seems a severe challenge. Now maybe there's some Wi-Fi solution for seven wires... After all it's just three extra right? :)

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Eye on the prize! Not changing my build. Thanks for the intel @da_jokker

Sponsored

RPF

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Raptor 15 Q70S/5.6 19 F-450 21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
What is the difference between the hitch shown here (MB3Z-17D826-A) and the one listed before (MB3Z-19D520-A). Cost? Differences in what's included (bolts/directions/etc.)?

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What is the difference between the hitch shown here (MB3Z-17D826-A) and the one listed before (MB3Z-19D520-A). Cost? Differences in what's included (bolts/directions/etc.)?
From what I can see it contains the hitch, 4 long mounting bolts, the 4/7 pin plug with bracket and bolts. This would be great if that's all you needed but it's only about half. If you want trailer braking you still need to add the dash controller and figure out what to do for turn and stop for both. If you have factory trailer tow you get the module that generates the turn and stop lights, if not, one would need to get the Ford trailer light accessory and tie into the rear lights.

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For lights you need this.

For trailer braking this.

You will also need the MB3Z-19D520-A kit which looks like a better deal $$ than trying to buy the hitch parts individually.

If the factory connector is on all of the harnesses regardless of tow package there is a good possibility you will have your ground, may be able to install a fuse for charge power to the trailer, possibly brake lights (depending on BCM configuration) but you will still need to tap in the turn and park lamps. A lot of this will be module dependent. If this is too much trouble you can still tap into the rear lights for the trailer light module and drop one of these down to plug into the OEM trailer plug.

The big unknowns right now are if there is any existing wiring there for non-tow vehicles. Either way, it's not going to be too bad to at least get lights. Trailer brake may be a little more difficult but won't be impossible.

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
it's not going to be too bad to at least get lights. Trailer brake may be a little more difficult but won't be impossible.
I've been saying this for weeks, I don't understand why people are freaking out about the trailer tow kits. This lighting technology already has solutions for trailer tow, and Ford sells it. The only circuits that are left for someone wanting trailer brakes is 1: Optional Reverse wire, 2: Breakaway battery charge wire, and 3: Braking wire. The worst case wiring requirements will be tapping the brake pedal switch for braking signal (relay req'd if ground triggering) Run a 12V+, Brake circuit (post controller) to the rear, and a reverse tap if you need one.

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been saying this for weeks, I don't understand why people are freaking out about the trailer tow kits. This lighting technology already has solutions for trailer tow, and Ford sells it. The only circuits that are left for someone wanting trailer brakes is 1: Optional Reverse wire, 2: Breakaway battery charge wire, and 3: Braking wire. The worst case wiring requirements will be tapping the brake pedal switch for braking signal (relay req'd if ground triggering) Run a 12V+, Brake circuit (post controller) to the rear, and a reverse tap if you need one.
A lot has to do with the lack of info from Ford on what is and isn't included with factory TT. If you have TT, the signal leaves the BCM under the dash, goes back to the t railer module on the left rear wheel housing, all the way back up front, out, then under the vehicle all the way to the trailer plug.

Until these start hitting the ground to figure out what is or isn't there on non-TT rigs, it's just a whole lot of unknown. Like you said, at worst, buy the Ford accessory trailer light module and tap into your rear lights to get signals for the module. Flat 4 but better than nothing.
Sponsored