RPF

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 Raptor 15 Q70S/5.6 19 F-450 21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If the wiring plugs for the OEM Trailer Tow Module are present, couldn't one just install the module and enable it with FDRS or Forscan? Then it would be an exact functional match to the OEM package.
Sponsored

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the wiring plugs for the OEM Trailer Tow Module are present, couldn't one just install the module and enable it with FDRS or Forscan? Then it would be an exact functional match to the OEM package.
That was a route I looked at but think it may be a no-go because the parts catalogue shows many different rear harness configurations with or without tow. The other big obstacle is the workshop manual shows BCM and BCM-C have no user configurable settings. We had a customer put larger tires on a '21 F150 and were going to use FDRS to change tire diameter but no function was available. One of the techs has Forscan and it didn't have the ability either. Then, you still have to deal with the SCCM that sends signal from the turn signal switch to the BCM. The smartest thing Ford could have done was build 2 harnesses, one for 2d and one for 4d. It would have reduced part numbers and made everything more upgradable in the future.

Just assume all of the wiring is there you would need to buy the module for $250 which has to be programmed VIN specific for a vehicle with tow. That will probably create a problem with the network communication system and cause other problems. If you could overcome, you still need to buy the hitch, hardware and 4/7 plug which will run $350-$400. This doesn't include any labor IF configuration was dealer only.

It's a real head shaker but I guess that's why I'm not an engineer or accountant. Very easy to look at after the hard part is done and criticize. It's times like these where constructive criticism is justified when you consider it from an end user perspective.

If you need right now is the light function, not brake energizing, the setup I'm working on is probably going to be the least complex, invasive and cheapest until aftermarket comes out.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good job fellas! Keep it up!
Agreed! Watching knowledgeable members collaborate on the forum to solve technical problems is truly awesome! 🤩

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agreed! Watching knowledgeable members collaborate on the forum to solve technical problems is truly awesome! 🤩
Stow that knowledgeable stuff sailor. Someone bet me $1.00 it couldn't be easily done. Challenge accepted.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stow that knowledgeable stuff sailor. Someone bet me $1.00 it couldn't be easily done. Challenge accepted.
Funny how that works. A friend of mine bet me $1.00 that I couldn't buy a Bronco with X-Plan pricing. 😁

Sponsored

fronc

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition | 4 Door | Cactus Grey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sorry for the n00b question, but if I only want the hitch for the purposes of carrying a bike rack, what options are available to me? My dealer doesn't seem to have a way to order the tow hitch for my FE...

(Same question about the roof rails, too, fwiw)

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry for the n00b question, but if I only want the hitch for the purposes of carrying a bike rack, what options are available to me? My dealer doesn't seem to have a way to order the tow hitch for my FE...

(Same question about the roof rails, too, fwiw)
If all you need is a receiver for a bike rack, it will certainly be cheaper to get it from the aftermarket once you pick your bronco up from the dealer. Down side is we don't know how soon the aftermarket will have something available, but I can't imagine it will be very long.... just know there may be a wait.

As far as the roof rails, you will be able to order them from the parts counter at some point and just install them yourself. In fact, they are designed for the vehicle owner to easily attach and remove them easily. Your FE will be able to accept it, it's just that Ford can't sell you one with them already installed (GVWR stuff).

fronc

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition | 4 Door | Cactus Grey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If all you need is a receiver for a bike rack, it will certainly be cheaper to get it from the aftermarket once you pick your bronco up from the dealer. Down side is we don't know how soon the aftermarket will have something available, but I can't imagine it will be very long.... just know there may be a wait.

As far as the roof rails, you will be able to order them from the parts counter at some point and just install them yourself. In fact, they are designed for the vehicle owner to easily attach and remove them easily. Your FE will be able to accept it, it's just that Ford can't sell you one with them already installed (GVWR stuff).
Thank you for this info. I'll probably bite the bullet for sake of time and get the Ford receiver from the dealer "parts counter" as well, assuming that's an option.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sponsored
OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My guy at Ford got back with me last night and apologized for the delayed response. He is dealing with 300+ backordered wiring harnesses that the supplier, "walked away from". I'm not going to read anything into this but is a good example of the issues Ford is dealing with all over the place both as a customer and supplier.

OP
OP
flip

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's s all you'll need.

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

That's s all you'll need.
Flip any way to get just the bracket that the 4/7 receptacle clips into? The bracket that bolts to the hitch. Thanks
Sponsored