Sponsored

Tow Package: difference between factory -installed and dealer-installed?

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Depending on state, some require brakes at as little as 2500#, mine the threshold is 3000# and with a rated capacity of 3500 to avail of that full capacity requires trailer brakes. You can use the impulse systems built into the trailer (rent a Uhaul and you will see) or add a controller to your vehicle. In Alaska trailer brakes are not required until 5000#

In any event a brake controller is not included in the factory tow pack, just the hitch and wiring for lights
The wiring needed for the brake controller to hook into the system is in the factory package.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, but even when I drove and towed with an F-250, none of the trailers I pulled had brakes.

Small boat trailer - 4-pin
Small (2 horse) horse trailer - 4-pin
Car dolly with an F-150 on it - 4-pin.
Car trailer with a Mustang on it - 4-pin
12-ft cargo trailer - 4-pin

If I am towing something heavy enough to need brakes like a 4-horse trailer or one of those really big ski boats they run on the reservoirs, I'd feel a lot better with an F-250 than a 150. But I have never actually owned a trailer heavy enough to have brakes.
Many offroad camper trailers have electric brakes. Mine weighs less than 3500lbs loaded and you would not want to be on some of the trails I tow it through without a brake controller (let alone being pushed down the Ike Gauntlet here in CO without a brake controller) and sometimes towing with my f150 makes it difficult to navigate through tight trails & turns. This is where the Bronco will come into play that has the Redarc tow pro brake controller installed.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just did the same thing today on my Black Diamond order. While not making any promises, Hunter at Granger said that "its a much better deal to take off the towing for sure."
At this point I would consider taking off my left nut if it would get my Bronco built and delivered any faster.
Hunter has been great, but he's dead wrong on this one.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The big question is what do you need? Just brake, turn, park lights or trailer brake functionality?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah, but even when I drove and towed with an F-250, none of the trailers I pulled had brakes.

Small boat trailer - 4-pin
Small (2 horse) horse trailer - 4-pin
Car dolly with an F-150 on it - 4-pin.
Car trailer with a Mustang on it - 4-pin
12-ft cargo trailer - 4-pin

If I am towing something heavy enough to need brakes like a 4-horse trailer or one of those really big ski boats they run on the reservoirs, I'd feel a lot better with an F-250 than a 150. But I have never actually owned a trailer heavy enough to have brakes.
Here in BC any trailer over 3000lbs or over half the tow vehicle's GVWR needs brakes, although they can be surge and not electric. Even worse, IIRC the Bronco's user manual suggests that anything over 1500lbs have brakes! A trailer doesn't need to be super heavy for brakes to be in the picture, and modern 3/4 ton pickups are rated for absolutely obscene towing.

Rayder

Big Bend
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Legalities aside I've towed our 3,000lb Minnie Drop with my 2015 2.7 F150 that didn't have a brake controller, and my 2019 2.7 that does and it makes a world of difference. Greatly reduces stopping distance and much more stable while coming to a quick stop. Also I used to have some noticable brake fade in the mountains even on an F150 without the brake controller. If you are towing your bass boat down to the local lake I don't think it's nessesary, but anything above 2,000lbs on the freeway I'd be leary about towing without.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Everyone that ever thinks about towing something needs to watch the Lucy and Desi movie The Long Long Trailer from 1953, the best 1hr36min you can spend

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Everyone that ever thinks about towing something needs to watch the Lucy and Desi movie The Long Long Trailer from 1953, the best 1hr36min you can spend
She's a legend that one

clarkT

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Surge Breaks satisfy all states requirements. And need no electronics. We keep getting tunnel vision on the 7 pin and brake controller (which there is a thread on here to make work aftermarket).

But for 100% of BRONCO towable trailers, surge breaks are safe, legal and simple. I’d say 95% of cases a bronco could tow brakes are unnecessary. (If you have any experience and willing to stay 5 under the speed limit).

Bullet42

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RangeRoverSport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The dealer price is $360 for the trailer package but doesn’t include wiring. Is it just the hitch? I have seen after market hitches for around $100. What is the difference.
thank you

Jim98

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I also deleted the towing and navigation from my order. Order went in and accepted 10/11/22. Ford scheduled my build for the week of 01/09/23. My dealer told me they would install towing with 4 pin connector only for the $595. Only problem I have doing install myself is wiring. I can get parts cheaper but that dam wiring scares me to death!

PhillySpecial18

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco / 2017 Mustang / 2012 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Depending on state, some require brakes at as little as 2500#, mine the threshold is 3000# and with a rated capacity of 3500 to avail of that full capacity requires trailer brakes. You can use the impulse systems built into the trailer (rent a Uhaul and you will see) or add a controller to your vehicle. In Alaska trailer brakes are not required until 5000#

In any event a brake controller is not included in the factory tow pack, just the hitch and wiring for lights
Is the factory tow a 7 pin? Will a dealer installed 4 pin still be fine for small trailers like carrying a few kayaks or a small uHaul?
Sponsored