Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Not too sure on using the Jeep Gladiator as a reference :)

2021 Jeep Gladiator Pros and Cons Review: One Huge Flaw (motortrend.com)

" I experienced more trailer anti-sway stability control intervention in a one-hour freeway drive behind the wheel of the Gladiator than I have in the entirety of my 12-year vehicle testing career. Every judge who trailered with a Gladiator experienced at least one near miss with an 18-wheeler when the trailer nearly jumped out of its lane and the Gladiator did nothing to stop it. Not a single judge ever wanted to trailer with a Gladiator again. "
This review was specifically for the Mojave trim, and in another part of it he says that he had liked towing with other trims of the MY2020 Gladiator when first reviewing them.

This is highly unfortunate, since a Mojave was my backup to the Bronco. Perhaps with a lighter trailer (under 4500lb manual transmission tow limit) it will be better. I am worried though that whatever they did to fix the death wobble softened things too much.
Sponsored

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This review was specifically for the Mojave trim, and in another part of it he says that he had liked towing with other trims of the MY2020 Gladiator when first reviewing them.

This is highly unfortunate, since a Mojave was my backup to the Bronco. Perhaps with a lighter trailer (under 4500lb manual transmission tow limit) it will be better. I am worried though that whatever they did to fix the death wobble softened things too much.
Read the towing review in the latest Motor Trend. The writers used a 2021 Gladiator for towing and were scared to death with the towing results.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jee...0342494787E592E39377C1D9156F2B6D4D96C4E2EBF65

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Read the towing review in the latest Motor Trend. The writers used a 2021 Gladiator for towing and were scared to death with the towing results.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/jee...0342494787E592E39377C1D9156F2B6D4D96C4E2EBF65
That's kinda of a BS review- they tested it without using the trailer brakes and they didn't have any weight distribution hitch. Even an F150 says use a WD over 5k pounds which that airstream was. They also were using the airstreams UNDER 10% tongue weight... I am positive if the upper the tongue weight to something above 10% by using a scale, installed a WD hitch, it would have been a much better ride.

I hate gladiators and I think Jeep makes a crappy product. I just don't think that is a fair test

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's kinda of a BS review- they tested it without using the trailer brakes and they didn't have any weight distribution hitch. Even an F150 says use a WD over 5k pounds which that airstream was. They also were using the airstreams UNDER 10% tongue weight... I am positive if the upper the tongue weight to something above 10% by using a scale, installed a WD hitch, it would have been a much better ride.

I hate gladiators and I think Jeep makes a crappy product. I just don't think that is a fair test
The diesel did have trailer brakes .

"The Gladiators simply could not control the trailer over bumpy pavement, in windy conditions, or in the wash of other large vehicles. Neither the trailer-brake-equipped diesel nor the wide-track (but sans trailer brake) Mojave. "

I was looking at the Mojave Gladiator when the news of the Bronco broke so I am still keeping up with them somewhat . A co-worker just purchased a Rubicon a few weeks ago and when I asked him how well he liked it he said it wasn't his best decision . I haven't had the chance to chat with him in detail but a mutual friend said it wasn't towing well for him .

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

"The Gladiators simply could not control the trailer over bumpy pavement, in windy conditions, or in the wash of other large vehicles. Neither the trailer-brake-equipped diesel nor the wide-track (but sans trailer brake) Mojave. "

I was looking at the Mojave Gladiator when the news of the Bronco broke so I am still keeping up with them somewhat . A co-worker just purchased a Rubicon a few weeks ago and when I asked him how well he liked it he said it wasn't his best decision . I haven't had the chance to chat with him in detail but a mutual friend said it wasn't towing well for him .
For sure, but the biggest issue is not having the required weight distribution hitch. Brakes only help control sway after it starts, A weight distribution set up would have avoided it. I also take issue with them "trusting" the Airstream tongue weight. Before I published an article like that, I would have been sure to weigh it myself.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Do you mind asking if it is the manual or auto and how much weight he's pulled? I'd be going manual so max 4500lbs and that would be a big difference over something pushing the max tow package limit, especially if i have a WDH.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't quite understand how the tow package works on the Bronco. It has the 7 pin plug, but it specifically says there's no trailer brake controller. Does that mean it has the 12v and the reverse light wire on at the 7 pin plug? How about the brake controller wire on the 7 pin connector? Is there a harness near the dash for a controller to plug into, and make that 7th wire work at the connector?
Hopefully the Bronco is pre-wired for a brake controller even without the factory tow pkg. So yeah, a harness under the dash for aftermarket controller. That would simplify going aftermarket adding a ClassIII hitch. We'll find out when Ford rolls some out to customers.

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hopefully the Bronco is pre-wired for a brake controller even without the factory tow pkg. So yeah, a harness under the dash for aftermarket controller. That would simplify going aftermarket adding a ClassIII hitch. We'll find out when Ford rolls some out to customers.
The 7 pin plug is designed to hold the electric brake controller wiring. On my 2013 Honda Pilot 4WD, it came std with a trailering package that included the 7 pin connector and trans and power steering coolers. It also had a pigtail wired into the 7 pin plug to connect the optional brake controller wiring that goes to an underdash location next to the kick panel. To finish off the connection to the wiring and brake controller, etrailer.com sells the connection pigtail to make the final connection between the controller and the factory wire which has a plug in the end of it. Honda does an excellent job of pre-engineering their vehicles for optional equipment. I hope Ford does the same.

Sponsored

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
For sure, but the biggest issue is not having the required weight distribution hitch. Brakes only help control sway after it starts, A weight distribution set up would have avoided it. I also take issue with them "trusting" the Airstream tongue weight. Before I published an article like that, I would have been sure to weigh it myself.
True. It's facepalm-worthy to hook up a 23ft 9ft tall travel trailer to a mid-size truck without a WDH/sway control and expect a pleasant Interstate towing experience. And then loudly complain to the world that the truck is at fault, yeesh.

My several 19'-21' travel trailers towed by a Tundra and 4Runners I don't use a WDH but I'm at max concentration on Interstates and in gusty crosswinds prepared to correct the inevitable trailer twitch. I also beef up the rear suspension with stronger coils, leafsprings, airbags.

1DWN5UP

Black Diamond
First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CyberSaucer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How much weight do you suppose a Bronco can carry on a hitch like that or an aftermarket one? I'm hoping to get a motorcycle carrier rack (carrying bikes occasionally is the only reason I'm still slightly considering a pickup with a bed). For my uses it'd typically be bikes weighing around 300lbs and no more than 420lbs

RyanP

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much weight do you suppose a Bronco can carry on a hitch like that or an aftermarket one? I'm hoping to get a motorcycle carrier rack (carrying bikes occasionally is the only reason I'm still slightly considering a pickup with a bed). For my uses it'd typically be bikes weighing around 300lbs and no more than 420lbs
I’m also concerned about this and the spacing being adequate with the spare tire. If I use an extender that might solve the spacing issue, but it could cause an issue with the tongue weight. Any thoughts from those with more experience?

1DWN5UP

Black Diamond
First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CyberSaucer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m also concerned about this and the spacing being adequate with the spare tire. If I use an extender that might solve the spacing issue, but it could cause an issue with the tongue weight. Any thoughts from those with more experience?
A quick youtube search shows quite a few examples of people carrying dirt bikes on their Wranglers this way and the rear tire doesn't seem to be an issue. But yeah I'd like to hear from those with experience

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Posting here as well, since it fits this thread better than the “does it come with a controller” thread—assessment from the dealer event last Saturday:

Went and looked real close at the hitch receiver at the Crossroads Apex dealer event today: I am pretty underwhelmed - and think even 3500lbs is questionable with the thin thing they have on there.

So my JK receiver rated for 3500 bolts 1-1/2” up into a 3” thick frame, with four bolts across 10”. It is ” thick.

The Bronco one bolts 1” up into a 2-1/2” frame with four bolts across 8”. It is 1/8” thick. It literally looks like a whimpy 3/4 scale version of the JKs; not something designed to tow off road.

The bare frame demo pictures looks ok: the frame even looked reinforced. But after seeing it in person, I am seriously second guessing. This may not work at all for me, and definitely needs a more rugged option.

A15864AB-80EC-4B5A-ADA7-579C5E22D0E4.jpeg
F0E8306F-12FA-4114-803E-E049C06D78E6.jpeg
Sponsored