First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agree it is buts its sad that my wife’s GC trailhawk is just as capable offroad, has no issue running 98% of the trails that any Bronco will ever run.

its not so much the tow rating for me at this point as Im still under but its now the GCWR and Fords calculations making zero sense.
Your tow rating is based on the lightest model with the least amount of options. Options and a trailer take away from payload. This vehicle is meant to compete against a wrangler. A grand Cherokee gains tow rating from its roof member adding rigidity to the rear of the vehicle. Pretty impressive for a unibody but meant more for an on road lifestyle no matter the package. It is more of the occasional off-roader as it compares to a wrangler or a bronco. More civilized and universal. There’s an ass for every seat. You just have to pick which one fits yours.
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Your tow rating is based on the lightest model with the least amount of options. Options and a trailer take away from payload. This vehicle is meant to compete against a wrangler. A grand Cherokee gains tow rating from its roof member adding rigidity to the rear of the vehicle. Pretty impressive for a unibody but meant more for an on road lifestyle no matter the package. It is more of the occasional off-roader as it compares to a wrangler or a bronco. More civilized and universal. There’s an ass for every seat. You just have to pick which one fits yours.
You know that the successful outcome of competing against someone is to beat them right? Not to tie them? Especially when it comes to one of the things that they do egregiously poorly at?

nminus1

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Duramax, Trailblazer, and Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just for shits n giggles I built an OB model (10 k more than my Base model choice) and it WAS STILL A $600 ADD-ON for the tow hitch!! SO what am I getting for 10K !!!!!!???
NO V-6, no 10 speed tranny, no rock rails, no good stereo, no 12" screen, no sound deadening roof, no aux switches, no power seats (butt heater is included) no floor liners, no wheel locks, no block heater, no modular front bumper, brush guard. SO WHAT am I paying 10k for? I haven't figured it out because I really want an excuse to buy the better model, but even 4 models up with ugly seats also the only option I can't figure why I should do it? Sorry if I digressed a little off the topic...
The base model is such a better deal than any of the the others!!
The hitch looks nice but I'm guessing either Uhaul or Ford accessories will sell me one for no more than $500....

TurkeyRun

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, '02 F-350, 21 Expy, 4 Harleys and a BMW GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your argument requires the assumption that tow ratings, requirements and safety regulations were identical in both the 1960's and today.

As somebody who actually owns and drives cars from the 50's and 60's, I would like to tell you that you have grossly over-estimated the safety environment of the 60's. For example: My 1961 Thunderbird has a movable steering column to better allow pregnant women to get behind the wheel comfortably. Where they can then be impaled upon a solid steering column in the event of an accident as seatbelts weren't mandatory in certain states until 1964 and nationally until after 1966.

on September 9, 1966, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act and the Highway Safety Act into law. These laws created the National Highway Safety Bureau, the precursor to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Towing rating in the 60's were: "Whatever the F you could tow with your vehicle before it broke". And that's a technical classification by the NHTSA.

1970's: Same

1980's: Same

1990's: Mostly the same

2000's: America becomes woke behind the veil of safety. GM changes to killing people through faulty ignitions instead of lost loads.
Ford Bronco Tow package hitch and plugs pics (2021 Bronco) IMG_1329.JPG

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What trims are the 4.46 ratio offered in? It states 3500 rating for all ratios. If the 4.46 isnt offered for the base (lightest less optioned vehicle) then why would it state max tow of 3500 for the 4.46?

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well the gladiator doesnt add roof rigidity for its 7650 tow rating its just on a different frame than the wrangler. If the bronco is on the ranger frame then what is it? See where Im going with this?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well the gladiator doesnt add roof rigidity for its 7650 tow rating its just on a different frame than the wrangler. If the bronco is on the ranger frame then what is it? See where Im going with this?
I feel like the site administrators should have posted a Readme to this forum that forces users to pass a simple knowledge quiz before posting.

Jpeyer

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A manual can only tow 4000 pounds. An automatic can tow more do to oil cooling for the gladiator. The frame is longer on the ranger vs Bronco. On the bronco it has a lot to do with the suspension for the tow rating. I’m done with this do your own research and come up with your own conclusions.

sanford

Black Diamond
First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Subaru Crosstrek, BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This point makes the logical fallacy that everyone who buys a Bronco wants optimum off roading ability. (Or we’re towing while we’re off roading)

The truth is that some people aren’t just willing, but would actually prefer trading off road ability, for increased tow capacity.

It’s no different than being able to spec a max tow package on a pickup or SUV that trades tow rating for ride comfort. (Stiffer springs, higher tire rating, etc).

My Bronco will be my daily, and we literally don’t have capacity for a second vehicle just to tow. If the 4-door Bronco could have been pushed to 5000lbs, it would make a *huge* difference for our lifestyle. It would have allowed us to tow an enclosed trailer with our race bikes and sleeping quarters... but at 3500 (like with our current Wrangler) we’re limited to an open trailer for the bikes and sleeping in a tent or the back of the Jeep.

But allllll that said: I get why Ford prioritized what they did. I’m disappointed a max tow isn’t offered, but I understand why it isn’t.
Check this trailer out: https://www.intechrv.com/models/flyer/explore/

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

peta8368

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Polaris Slingshot
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't quite understand how the tow package works on the Bronco. It has the 7 pin plug, but it specifically says there's no trailer brake controller. Does that mean it has the 12v and the reverse light wire on at the 7 pin plug? How about the brake controller wire on the 7 pin connector? Is there a harness near the dash for a controller to plug into, and make that 7th wire work at the connector?

Fireman Dave

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This entire thread could be a cut and paste from the Wrangler Forum I used to be part of. All the complaints about capacity and opinions on what they mean are identical. LOL.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not too sure on using the Jeep Gladiator as a reference :)

2021 Jeep Gladiator Pros and Cons Review: One Huge Flaw (motortrend.com)

" I experienced more trailer anti-sway stability control intervention in a one-hour freeway drive behind the wheel of the Gladiator than I have in the entirety of my 12-year vehicle testing career. Every judge who trailered with a Gladiator experienced at least one near miss with an 18-wheeler when the trailer nearly jumped out of its lane and the Gladiator did nothing to stop it. Not a single judge ever wanted to trailer with a Gladiator again. "

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A manual can only tow 4000 pounds. An automatic can tow more do to oil cooling for the gladiator. The frame is longer on the ranger vs Bronco. On the bronco it has a lot to do with the suspension for the tow rating. I’m done with this do your own research and come up with your own conclusions.
I'm confused what this is supposed to mean, or why it is relevant that the tow rating of the manual without the crazy cooling system is less than the automatic when the rest of your post is about how the wheelbase and suspension are the limiting factors.

Oh yeah and BTW the Mojave and Rubicon trims of the Galdiator with the manual transmission are rated to tow 4500lbs, not 4000lbs. In case you missed it, this means that the ones with the off-road suspension are rated to tow 500lbs more than the ones with the base suspension. I learned that when I did my own research
Sponsored