The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is this tow package going to be available for the Base or what?? I don't see it in the Build and Price.
Sponsored

Pharmdude

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Bronco Sasquatch Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does the "Towing Capability" option provide anything other than the hitch receiver and trailer wiring plugs?

Higher alternator output? Enhanced engine/trans cooling capacity?
I reached out to Long McArthur Ford in one of the youtube videos and his response was that he did not see anything other than hitch and wiring. Granted this is still preproduction era. It appears that you get the plugs and hitch receiver. Other than convenience of having it preinstalled I don't see the value from Ford. I think that a place like etrailers.com will have something within a year or two that is similar for just a hitch. After that I am inclined to see what kind of steel bumpers with an incorporated hitch will be available aftermarket.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The hell truck are you thinking about? The little Rangers could tow more than that. Hell, trucks from the 60's could tow more than that.

The rating restriction on the new Bronco is based on suspension and wheel base and how the two interact under load. It's not limited by how the hitch is attached

I definitely agree that 3500lbs is pathetic, no argument there though. I have no qualms that this hitch is fine, just with your statement about trucks.

*calmly steps off soapbox and accepts his lashings*
Not much more . My '91 ranger with the 4.0 list 4900lb but I wouldn't go near that ,lol
Ford Bronco Tow package hitch and plugs pics (2021 Bronco) Screenshot (111)

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Slightly off topic, but not really.....

In regards to the 7 Pin connection.....

-How many trailers that when loaded within their max rated limit fall under the 3500lbs Max Tow limit currently set for the Bronco?

7 Pin is used primarily for Trailer Electrical Brakes, so why is it being installed From The Factory when (to my knowledge) more than 90% of the trailers that have Electric Brakes fall in the category that is Too Heavy/Large to be towed by a Bronco....... :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Not to mention..... when there's a 7 Pin connection, there's "normally" some sort of Controller for the Electric Breaks as well......

Sponsored

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
<snip>..... (to my knowledge) more than 90% of the trailers that have Electric Brakes fall in the category that is Too Heavy/Large to be towed by a Bronco.......<snip>
MANY of the lightweight campers (sub 2000 lb dry weight) these days have electric brakes. An effective trailer braking system, electric or surge) is even more important on a tow vehicle with limited capacity.

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nope. Not available for FE four door version either.
I’m in Base Camp and I’m going to see if I can use my Ford Points to have my dealer install the tow package. Might not cover it all, but should take the sting away from dealer’s pricing.

Java9

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 2.7L, 93 Bronco 5.8L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Slightly off topic, but not really.....

In regards to the 7 Pin connection.....

-How many trailers that when loaded within their max rated limit fall under the 3500lbs Max Tow limit currently set for the Bronco?

7 Pin is used primarily for Trailer Electrical Brakes, so why is it being installed From The Factory when (to my knowledge) more than 90% of the trailers that have Electric Brakes fall in the category that is Too Heavy/Large to be towed by a Bronco....... :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Not to mention..... when there's a 7 Pin connection, there's "normally" some sort of Controller for the Electric Breaks as well......
Some states require e-brakes now for any towing. For $600 it's the least ford could do to include both lol.

Uwdawg631

Wildtrak
First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) Ford Fusion's, yes 2, his and hers, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have never towed with an SUV, just my F-350, that I no longer have, so it was never a concern. My question is, if I don't get a tow package and opt for after market, is there any way to increase the towing capacity of the Bronco? Not looking for some crazy amount of weight, just enough to create a few more options.

Rustytuna

Base
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your Bronco Model
Base
So no aftermarket brake controller needed with this 7 pin?

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does the "Towing Capability" option provide anything other than the hitch receiver and trailer wiring plugs?

Higher alternator output? Enhanced engine/trans cooling capacity?
Towing has been heavily discussed in the forum. Someone brought this question for Ford during one of the CEL events.

Ford’s answer was that it does *not* add any additional components other than hitch and wiring, and there are no plans to increase the 3500 lb rating by the time units start rolling off the line.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have never towed with an SUV, just my F-350, that I no longer have, so it was never a concern. My question is, if I don't get a tow package and opt for after market, is there any way to increase the towing capacity of the Bronco? Not looking for some crazy amount of weight, just enough to create a few more options.
There are hundreds of pages on the forum discussing exactly this... short answer is:

Yes and no.

reidski29

Wildtrak
First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Expedition, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Still don't understand why they couldn't increase
the towing to more than the explorer
Well with a hitch like that I can see why.......C'mon Ford you could beat Jeep at their own game and if it was up'd to 5,000 it would be great!

I have discussed this too much, but I find it interesting that the 2 door with it's short wheelbase has such a high tow rating at 3,500. However the 4 door is stuck at the 3,500 limit as well (I know I know the suspension is soft, it needs to articulate, etc but really?). The low low tow rating is my biggest beef with the Bronco, I was expecting 5,000 since it was built on the Ranger platform.

DrewL

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 2020 Fusion Hybrid, 2009 Rubicon 2D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They need to make sure the Bronco has a brake controller option available from the factory on day one. It should also be ready to have it added easily by the dealerships if it wasn’t originally optioned. This wasn’t the case on the new Ranger when it came out and it was very difficult to add. Not having a brake controller severely limits safe tow capacity.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Really the question we all want answered is a YouTube installation video of an aftermarket hitch/plugs to see how easy it would be to DIY this thing and save $500.

If it doesn’t fit or you have to have a special tool or make cuts/drill then the $600 seems like it might not be as outrageous.

If it’s just bolt it on and a few wire nuts then let’s see it.
Sponsored