First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 International Scout 2
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I have a Big Bend 2.3 4 door manual transmission and an wondering if it has a trans cooler or if I need to worry about towing a small camper down the road or if I can. Can I add a brake controller? The big issue is I added the hitch and wiring (factory) and it is only a 4 pin.

Trailer hitch assembly, Wiring harness 4-pin, and a hitch extension I paid $494.80.
I installed hitch assembly and am having ford dealer install wiring harness. They said it would be about $400-$450 for install. My 2 Bronco order hasn't been scheduled and I came across this one so I bought it for MSAP. I just wish it had the tow package already. Just a little worried.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I have a Big Bend 2.3 4 door manual transmission and an wondering if it has a trans cooler or if I need to worry about towing a small camper down the road or if I can. Can I add a brake controller? The big issue is I added the hitch and wiring (factory) and it is only a 4 pin.

Trailer hitch assembly, Wiring harness 4-pin, and a hitch extension I paid $494.80.
I installed hitch assembly and am having ford dealer install wiring harness. They said it would be about $400-$450 for install. My 2 Bronco order hasn't been scheduled and I came across this one so I bought it for MSAP. I just wish it had the tow package already. Just a little worried.

That is the one thing that hasn't been answered as of yet... I haven't seen anywhere that it has a trans cooler... It may, but I just don't know.

ilbastarge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla X
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I have never heard of a manual transmission having a trans cooler because manual gear oil is silly thick to begin with.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

There is zero indication so fsr that the tow package comes with an auxiliary transmission cooler, same as on an Explorer and Ranger. Plus you have a manual, so it would be even less likely.

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base

So at -
2021 Bronco Accessories | Customize Your Ford
You could have ordered the wiring and locked in an install price. The install pricing varies with dealers and I was told must be brought online at the time of purchase.
FT1Z-15A416-A 4-pin Purchase price & install at my dealer $290 ( Harness $ 110- Install $ 180 )

Sponsored
OP
OP
Drew5150

Drew5150

Black Diamond
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't see any type of external cooler for a manual nor any type of internal pump. Looks like splash lubrication only.
Also buying an automatic, if no factory tow will or dose it have trans cooler?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also buying an automatic, if no factory tow will or dose it have trans cooler?
The auto with either combo has an external cooler. The 2.3s is on the side of the trans, 2.7 is mounted below the radiator. Both are oil over water, meaning it uses engine coolant and thermostatic valves to regulate the trans temp.

In my previous life I was a driveline tech and did a good bit of trans work. I'm a huge fan of trans coolers twice as big as needed. Have yet to see a factory one I would consider adequate for heavy duty use.

OP
OP
Drew5150

Drew5150

Black Diamond
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The auto with either combo has an external cooler. The 2.3s is on the side of the trans, 2.7 is mounted below the radiator. Both are oil over water, meaning it uses engine coolant and thermostatic valves to regulate the trans temp.

In my previous life I was a driveline tech and did a good bit of trans work. I'm a huge fan of trans coolers twice as big as needed. Have yet to see a factory one I would consider adequate for heavy duty use.
so will it matter if tow package was from factory or if you install it after ? trans cooler installed no matter if tow was order or not.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Drew5150

Drew5150

Black Diamond
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Coolers on both regardless of factory TT or not.
cool thanks. one more question do you see any problems installing the ford 4pin wiring harness and how I would install a brake control for a small camper down the road.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

cool thanks. one more question do you see any problems installing the ford 4pin wiring harness and how I would install a brake control for a small camper down the road.
Ford doesn't sell a brake controller option for the Bronco, so it would be a custom job.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are going to do the 4 pin and the factory TT wiring is not behind the left trim in the cargo area you are going to have to wire according to the Ford Accessory trailer light module instructions. This will give you lights and such but won't provide brake control. If you are needing braking it will most likely be a matter of finding an add on controller, running wiring for both the brake controller and still do the trailer light module to get to a 7 pin.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you are in the slightest thinking about a brake controller and can get it, get the Towing Capability package. Then get the Ford brake controller and it is all plug and play.
Not saying it cannot be added but it will cost close to half the cost of the towing package and a lot of headaches. This is not your dad's truck, and the wiring can be tricky. Check out the TLF towing test video. If I remember right it cost them $800 for a hitch and a four pin setup.

OP
OP
Drew5150

Drew5150

Black Diamond
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model