Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey guys--sorry if this has been covered--if so I couldn't find it. The Bronco will be my first experience with serious off-roading and towing. I'm looking at non-squatch BL and I'm trying to decide between 2.3 or 2.7. I'll be towing a trailer weighing (fully loaded) 2000-2600 lbs. Any thoughts on 2.3.vs 2.7 for towing? Any difference in towing if you're driving automatic vs MT? Thanks.
Sponsored

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ford may make that decision for you, if you know what i mean...

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
More power will tow better, assuming they have the same gearing. Gearing multiplies torque, so in some cases, a 2.3L with lower gearing may tow better than a 2.7L . The best best is to get a 2.7L with 4.7 gearing. It will have the highest horsepower and torque numbers; although, the tow rating will be the same as the 2.3L. With those motors and transmissions I would not expect the Bronco to tow well, but I live in a mountainous area. YMMV.

OP
OP
Swatman

Swatman

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

More power will tow better, assuming they have the same gearing. Gearing multiplies torque, so in some cases, a 2.3L with lower gearing may tow better than a 2.7L . The best best is to get a 2.7L with 4.7 gearing. It will have the highest horsepower and torque numbers; although, the tow rating will be the same as the 2.3L. With those motors and transmissions I would not expect the Bronco to tow well, but I live in a mountainous area. YMMV.
Thanks for the info. I may be able to keep the trailer weight under 2000 lbs. I'm looking at the 2.3 MT geared at 4.7 vs the 2.7 geared at 4.46.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@Swatman - If you are truly concerned about the granular details of weight then I think that Ford, or B-N (same thing), just published a GVWR/GCWR chart. Two or three days ago.

You also might be well served to try and find the specific power curves for the stock engines. To a certain degree the max power of any given engine doesn't do you much good. You will need to know how you drive normally vs how the engine will need to be run in order for you to accomplish what you are trying to do.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Don't forget the 2.3L w/10A tows 7500lbs in the Ranger, so it's not like it would be underpowered. I don't know the stock gear ratio and tire size for the Ranger though and how that compares to the different Bronco configurations.

I second the recommendation to look up the thred with the GCWR tables that were released the other day. If you need an explanation of how to calculate your available payload at your known towed weight (or towable weight with your known payload) then check out my post in that thread. Compare the 2.3 and 2.7 because I'm not convinced that the 2.7 actually gains you much, if anything.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As said above, max GVRW Ranger + 7,500 = DRASTICALLY more than Bronco will ever be able to do.

I've driven a '19 Ranger over mountain passes with 750lbs in the bed, 5k trailer plus about 800 lbs in the cab with 2 guys and gear.
Couldn't tell the vehicle was loaded down at all.

The "need" for the 2.7 and those whopping extra 47 cubic inches is to fill out your slacks, specifically between your thighs, when you tell your buddies you have a "massive 2.7 ltr engine".... hey, isn't that about what people made fun of Honda for 30 years ago?.......

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey guys--sorry if this has been covered--if so I couldn't find it. The Bronco will be my first experience with serious off-roading and towing. I'm looking at non-squatch BL and I'm trying to decide between 2.3 or 2.7. I'll be towing a trailer weighing (fully loaded) 2000-2600 lbs. Any thoughts on 2.3.vs 2.7 for towing? Any difference in towing if you're driving automatic vs MT? Thanks.
I have never once heard anyone complain about having too much power when towing.

That said, 2600lbs is not much of a load, so it doesn't really matter which engine/trans you choose.

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't know the stock gear ratio and tire size for the Ranger though and how that compares to the different Bronco configurations.
The Ranger has 3.73 gears and tire sizes are comparable to the Bronco.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you are planning to do serious towing, buy an after market class III or IV hitch that will distribute weight to the frame as opposed to the single rear cross member offered by Ford... Should be able to go up to at least 5000 lbs with appropriate additional modifications...

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Our F-150 with 300hp/360 lb./ft and a 3.73 gear (and a 5-speed transmission) tows over 9,200 lbs. I've towed that much. It's hardly noticeable up to 5,000 lbs. I can't imagine even 3,500 lbs being a big deal for the 2.3. The 2.7 will be "overkill" in the Bronco. That said, I'm getting the 2.7 just because we always get the the more powerful engine. ?

Last edited:

KH_59

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is your trailer a fully “trail capable” rig that you plan to tow through gnarly off-road situations, or just to get supplies to the camp? If you’re going to “wheel” the trailer over really technical terrain, the automatic might simply things for you (“one pedal” feature and such).

OP
OP
Swatman

Swatman

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is your trailer a fully “trail capable” rig that you plan to tow through gnarly off-road situations, or just to get supplies to the camp? If you’re going to “wheel” the trailer over really technical terrain, the automatic might simply things for you (“one pedal” feature and such).
It will definitely be trail capable, although it remains to be seen how adventurous I get with it. Good point on the one pedal.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
When it comes down to pretending you're the most endowed guy in a group during these modern times, please remember this and only this:

Driving a manual transmission absolutely adds more length AND girth in your buddies eyes than having a 2.7 ltr engine but it's an automatic. And double that length for the ladies.

Okay, now we can return to the usual "My Bronco needs the 2.7 because it's a bigger motor" American diatribes.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

When it comes down to pretending you're the most endowed guy in a group during these modern times, please remember this and only this:

Driving a manual transmission absolutely adds more length AND girth in your buddies eyes than having a 2.7 ltr engine but it's an automatic. And double that length for the ladies.

Okay, now we can return to the usual "My Bronco needs the 2.7 because it's a bigger motor" American diatribes.
It's all about the girth
Sponsored