Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 King Ranch F150 Supercrew.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just got an email from Ford saying my dealer order consultation will be happening soon. I have a 7/15/20 reservation that was pushed to MY22. I’m now on the fence between ordering a 2dr vs 4dr due to towing considerations. I have an 18’ bass boat and a 2900 lb popup camper that I would like to be able to tow comfortably. Both models feature the same towing limit of 3500 lbs. Does anyone feel the 4 dr is the better choice for towing due to the longer wheel base or is it truly a wash just like the limit? Anybody have real first hand experience towing with a 2dr?
Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just a general statement of a longer wheelbase usually tows better/safer just like you stated.

P_Baff

Badlands
First Name
Pierre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 VW GTI & '21 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While this is true, the off-road suspension is the limiting factor when it comes to the tow rating on these vehicles.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Neither! These are not Tow Vehicles, buy a Truck, they are designed primarily for Off Road.

Just had to get that out of the way before someone else did.

Ok, yes, "in general", the longer the wheel base, the better the tow vehicle. With that said, there are several vehicles with equal or shorter wheel bases than the 2D Bronco that have Higher Tow Ratings than the Bronco.

So.... @luvtofish , it will depend A LOT on the Speed in which you tow.
So if you're the type to run +10 mph when towing something that near the Max Tow Rating, then the 4D is what you should get (in my opinion).

Questions to ask yourself....
-How often are you going to be towing at/near the Max Tow Rating vs. not Towing Anything or Well Below the Max Rating?
-Which "speaks" to you? 2d or 4D????

Towing with "common sense" , either 2D or 4D shouldn't be a problem.

AND If @Ford Motor Company would offer a TRUE HD Tow Package, we wouldn't be discussing this.........

Oh.... I personally wouldn't have a problem at all towing either of what you mentioned above with either the 2D or 4D.

Sponsored
OP
OP
luvtofish

luvtofish

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 King Ranch F150 Supercrew.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I currently have an F-150 I’ll be trading in on the Bronco so I need to be sure it can handle what I’m proposing. Would like to hear from others who have actually towed with their rig and can offer insight. Thanks for your input.