Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Guys,

I know that with the towing package, both the 2.3L and 2.7L are rated to tow 3500lbs. I am planning on ordering a 2D BL non-sas on Wednesday. I also want to buy a 3000lb pop-up trailer that goes up to 3500lbs max when loaded, and will have 1 person & luggage in the Bronco with me. I have picked out the trailer, but it is more of a someday type of thing so it might be a few years. Because the trailer is not 100%, I am thinking I will get the 2.3L engine and the towing package in the new Bronco.

Do you guys think the 2.3L will suffice for towing 3500lbs? I do not mind accelerating slower, but want to make sure that I can still make decent speeds when towing up Trail Ridge road in Rocky Mountain National Park, or whatever. If you guys think I might hit the wall with that weight/engine combo, let me know.

Thanks,

Dan
Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm no expert but the explorer with the 2.3 is rated for over 5,000lbs (i think), So I doubt the engine is the limiting factor on their tow rating
Yup and I think the ranger goes to 7500 lbs with the same motor

Sponsored

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yup and I think the ranger goes to 7500 lbs with the same motor
Which brings me to a question I've pondered: with some stiffer coils do you think the bronco would have issues towing over 3500? lets say for example a 4,500lb ski boat and trailer combo..

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Which brings me to a question I've pondered: with some stiffer coils do you think the bronco would have issues towing over 3500? lets say for example a 4,500lb ski boat and trailer combo..
I’ve never towed anything in my life so I’m no expert haha. But there are lots of posters on here who believe that is the case. Makes sense to me

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

To be perfectly honestly it should be fine... but there are legal ramifications to doing that.

Say... for example... you rear end someone and it wasn't necessarily your fault. If it was discovered that you were towing over the GCWR, they could argue that you were operating the vehicle outside of the design specifications... and that would be bad news for you.

Also... many states require a trailer brake controller when towing over a certain weight. For most states I believe it is 3000 lbs, but it obviously varies by state. The Bronco does not come equipped with a trailer brake controller unfortunately. There used to be a trailer brake controller available as an accessory on the Ford accessory site... but... it seems to have disappeared.

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

To be perfectly honestly it should be fine... but there are legal ramifications to doing that.

Say... for example... you rear end someone and it wasn't necessarily your fault. If it was discovered that you were towing over the GCWR, they could argue that you were operating the vehicle outside of the design specifications... and that would be bad news for you.

Also... many states require a trailer brake controller when towing over a certain weight. For most states I believe it is 3000 lbs, but it obviously varies by state. The Bronco does not come equipped with a trailer brake controller unfortunately. There used to be a trailer brake controller available as an accessory on the Ford accessory site... but... it seems to have disappeared.
So lets say I'm dumping this hypothetical ski boat in at a private landing, I'm probably not gonna damage the Bronco?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So lets say I'm dumping this hypothetical ski boat in at a private landing, I'm probably not gonna damage the Bronco?
Obviously guarantees cannot be made—you are driving above the designed weight rating after all. BUT... as long as you don't do anything crazy or stupid you should be fine. Just be aware that it is very much a "do at your own risk" sorta thing.

I'll say this... if I had a boat weighing 4500 lbs, it was balanced correctly on the trailer, and I needed to drive it a 5-10 miles down to road to the boat launch, I would feel perfectly comfortable doing that. If I had to drive it an hour or so on the interstate and then another 5-10 miles down a dirt forest road to the boat ramp at the lake... eh... probably not.

Sponsored
OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks guys - All of this feedback has helped me a lot and thinking I can probably go with the 2.3L to save some money and (1)MPG, and hopefully not have regrets

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Glad to hear that you're only planning on having one person and some luggage in if you're towing at the max. You only have ~550lbs of weight that you can put in the Bronco until you're hitting GCWR.

GVWR Details (with Wildtrack).jpg

OP
OP
VailDan

VailDan

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D Badlands(2023)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks - I had seen that before and forgotten about it. It looks like the BL 2D actually has a 40lb. lower tow rating with the 6 cylinder than the 4, but the 6 cylinder has a 60lbs higher GCWR than the 4. So I guess that is better if I pack more weight in the cab, which I probably would with generators, etc. Probably better if I have to come to a complete traffic stop, start again when hauling something up a pass, etc. I went ahead and ordered the 2.7L just because it actually shows better highway fuel economy than the 2.3L on the BL non-sas. Not sure if those numbers are correct, but it essentially shows that they have almost the same fuel economy so hard to pass on the 2.7L

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks - I had seen that before and forgotten about it. It looks like the BL 2D actually has a 40lb. lower tow rating with the 6 cylinder than the 4, but the 6 cylinder has a 60lbs higher GCWR than the 4. So I guess that is better if I pack more weight in the cab, which I probably would with generators, etc. Probably better if I have to come to a complete traffic stop, start again when hauling something up a pass, etc. I went ahead and ordered the 2.7L just because it actually shows better highway fuel economy than the 2.3L on the BL non-sas. Not sure if those numbers are correct, but it essentially shows that they have almost the same fuel economy so hard to pass on the 2.7L
Keep in mind though that the 2.7L has a 150lb higher curb weight than the 2.3L, so the 2.7L allows 90lb less of total trailer and cargo weight than the 2.3L does!
Sponsored