First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
j
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hey guys, I am an owner of 2015 Bonneville SE. I recently picked up motorcycling in the past year and love it. I have been fortunate to be able to use the bed of my dads pick up truck when I needed to transport my bike any long distance.
For the Bronco, I really want to be able to tow the 500lb bike but here's where the problem is. I live in a building with an under garage so I cant have a trailer. I have looked into getting a motorcycle carrier to place on the tail of the Bronco, but needed more help on the subject.

1.) Can the bronco support a 500lb tounge weight?
2.) What class receiver would I need?
3.) Does the optional tow package help with any of this.?

Ford Bronco Towing a motorcycle? 1598886591073
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Mrs and I ride a ton of bikes, and race our share of bikes... I know people who swear by the hitch mounted carrier like you’re asking about. That said, I’ve never felt comfortable with that set up.

Those people tend to use them for lighter bikes than your bonneville. The Class II hitch that comes with the Bronco is only rated for 300lbs tongue weight. Your 500lb bike cantilevered out there would make me reeeaaaaaly. nervous.

Not knowing exactly how much room you have available, but any chance a folding motorcycle trailer would be okay?

Something like this:
https://www.stingertrailer.com/product/trailer-in-a-bag/

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A 500lb. Motorcycle on a trailer hitch is probably not doable with the Bronco due to tongue weight issues. I have also never seen a hitch trailer rated for that much weight. It’s also a big lever, so the net weight is probably even higher. I have done 250lb dirt bikes on a tongue trailer, even that isn’t optimal, but with the right hitch it works. Others may have different experience or options.

OP
OP
kf9

kf9

Outer Banks
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
j
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I found a 600lb carrier on Amazon with good reviews, and I assume they must make a hitch to support it if they make the carrier, but I am trying to get a feel if the Bronco can even support that much weight. Thanks for your help

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found a 600lb carrier on Amazon with good reviews, and I assume they must make a hitch to support it if they make the carrier, but I am trying to get a feel if the Bronco can even support that much weight. Thanks for your help
600lbs is a Class III tongue weight limit.

Unfortunately, as it stands now the Bronco specs only list the Class II with 3,500lb capacity.

There’s a *very* vocal contingent of us on here that are hoping the Bronco will eventually announced to have a higher tow rating and could be optioned with a Class III... or the aftermarket will provide a solution eventually.
Until then, we’re “stuck” with the Class II.

Also, welcome to motorcycling!!!

Sponsored

cal jammer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have a 2013 bonneville I got last year and planning on hauling it around with my bronco. I would love a setup like this but I'm thinking a regular motorcycle trailer is going to be the way to go. I've seen fold up ones that don't take up much space that I plan on going with.

OP
OP
kf9

kf9

Outer Banks
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
j
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
600lbs is a Class III tongue weight limit.

Unfortunately, as it stands now the Bronco specs only list the Class II with 3,500lb capacity.

There’s a *very* vocal contingent of us on here that are hoping the Bronco will eventually announced to have a higher tow rating and could be optioned with a Class III... or the aftermarket will provide a solution eventually.
Until then, we’re “stuck” with the Class II.

Also, welcome to motorcycling!!!
Hey Zack thanks!

I see in your picture your riding on a thruxton? or is it a BMW? Either way looks awesome.

OP
OP
kf9

kf9

Outer Banks
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
j
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a 2013 bonneville I got last year and planning on hauling it around with my bronco. I would love a setup like this but I'm thinking a regular motorcycle trailer is going to be the way to go. I've seen fold up ones that don't take up much space that I plan on going with.
Could you possibly send a link to one that you have seen?

comfour

Big Bend
First Name
cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I thought that with the top off, I could probably get a motorcycle in the back, the cross member on the roll bar may get in the way if the handlebar is too high unless it can be removed
(4dr Bronco)

Reactions: kf9

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Harbor Freight makes a foldable/light trailer that can be modified into a pretty effective motorcycle hauler. Several examples on line in different forums. It folds flat and is pretty light. Sound like the situation is zero trailer options.

Sponsored

cal jammer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
OP
OP
kf9

kf9

Outer Banks
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
j
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Mrs and I ride a ton of bikes, and race our share of bikes... I know people who swear by the hitch mounted carrier like you’re asking about. That said, I’ve never felt comfortable with that set up.

Those people tend to use them for lighter bikes than your bonneville. The Class II hitch that comes with the Bronco is only rated for 300lbs tongue weight. Your 500lb bike cantilevered out there would make me reeeaaaaaly. nervous.

Not knowing exactly how much room you have available, but any chance a folding motorcycle trailer would be okay?

Something like this:
https://www.stingertrailer.com/product/trailer-in-a-bag/
I live in an apartment building with an underground garage. $150 per month for one spot! So if my building says I need another spot for a trailer I am screwed. Theyre nice enough to let me park my motorcycle and car in one spot right now.

cal jammer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
OP
OP
kf9

kf9

Outer Banks
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
j
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

deznut

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Frontier
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

kf9...something like this ( see below) ...IMO you would have to remove the drive chain when towing and re-install it when getting ready to ride ( greasy hands! and master links!?)...like Zack, I race a vintage bike and use my Frontier to get to the track and back, but a foldable trailer is in my future with the Bronco...hth:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/800lb-Motorcycle-Scooter-Carrier-2-Tow-Receiver-Trailer-Hauler-Hitch-Mount-Rack/224880619?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&adid=22222222222316530248&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=74835622736176&wl4=pla-4578435167592412:aud-807612879&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&+wl10=Walmart&wl12=224880619_10001021951&wl14=motorcycle towing&veh=sem
Sponsored