Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've never had the opportunity to buy a vehicle to hook a trailer to and tow my track car. Normally just drive my car to and from the tracks. (BMW M235i) (3500-3700lbs) I know there are many trucks out there, but I want a bronco as my second vehicle. I plan on purchasing the Wildtrack so 6cyl.. Now, I know towing is the same for either engine and that the Bronco is probably not the best tow vehicle, but can someone more experienced in towing tell me if the bronco will work for me towing my track car? Or its a no go to tow my car around from state to state or whatever? I'm sure I'm looking at 3500lbs for the car and then what ever the trailer weighs. So I'm already exceeding the limit, is that pushing it or the Bronco isn't ideal at all no matter what for towing? Thanks for the insight!
Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Thats is overloading the Bronco's towing limit of 3,500 lbs. This also opens you up to rejection of insurance claims and lawsuits by other parties if you are in a wreck. Not a good choice for a tow vehicle for that heavy of load, many more threads on the subject using the search box.

Deleted member 11056

Once you factor in a trailer that is big enough to safely flat-tow a car (and you’ll definitely want to do your research on this if you plan to trailer the car a lot), and tools, extra race tires, fuel, and such, your better off buying a good used 3/4 truck. I have several friends that do multiple track events per year, and while a 1/2 ton “can” do it, the 3/4 ton is the way to go if you plan to do it a lot.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it's above the 'legal' tow limit as set by ford for the current bronco variants in the US.

if you were in europe or australia, it's probably legal since
they set the tow ability criteria somewhat different.

there are other vehicles with virtually the same wheelbase, horsepower,
offroad suspension which are rated to tow at the your required load

but for some reason, ford set the tow rating much lower....

MNbronco

Wildtrak
First Name
RC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Tremor, 2021 Bronco sport
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bronco in all flavors is 3500#, you would need at minimum 5k (not including tools, cooler, extra tires etc). Not sure this is the right tow vehicle for you

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

You need to trade in your track car for a Miata and you'll be good!

OP
OP
RACERED-WT

RACERED-WT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you guys for all the responses. I wish I could have the best of both worlds, but its clear that Ill need to have a separate vehicle for towing. Thanks for putting it in perspective!

Pepin10

Base
First Name
Pepin10
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do some weight reduction and buy an aluminum trailer(850#'s), you might get closer to 4k #s... Atleast that's what I'm doing

OP
OP
RACERED-WT

RACERED-WT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do some weight reduction and buy an aluminum trailer(850#'s), you might get closer to 4k #s... Atleast that's what I'm doing
Thanks, ill have to go carbon hood and trunk and a passenger seat delete ;) ..How strained do you think the bronco will be at 4k lbs highway driving? Doable? I didnt think about the whole insurance thing until others mentioned it here, makes sense though how your screwed if you exceed the 3500 limit :rolleyes:. I'm also in SD, I'm headed to Button Willow at the end of the month :cool:

Bullseye

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Trailblazer, '09 Forester Limited
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's not only the capability of the engine pulling the trailer (which the v6 with it's gearing is probably more than capable), but the stopping power, the stability to keep the vehicle and trailer on the road, and one thing that no one else seems to think of that actually sets the towing capacity in the first place - cooling. Your engine and transmission will get significantly hotter under a heavier load. Add that you're forcing air into it with twin turbos, which increase pressure and heat, and put an intercooler in front of the radiator behind a grille and bumper, and you have the formula to 86 your engine real quick. And if you didn't follow Ford's recommendation to keep it below 3,500 lbs., bye bye warranty.
Just because you think you can, doesn't mean you should.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RACERED-WT

RACERED-WT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's not only the capability of the engine pulling the trailer (which the v6 with it's gearing is probably more than capable), but the stopping power, the stability to keep the vehicle and trailer on the road, and one thing that no one else seems to think of that actually sets the towing capacity in the first place - cooling. Your engine and transmission will get significantly hotter under a heavier load. Add that you're forcing air into it with twin turbos, which increase pressure and heat, and put an intercooler in front of the radiator behind a grille and bumper, and you have the formula to 86 your engine real quick. And if you didn't follow Ford's recommendation to keep it below 3,500 lbs., bye bye warranty.
This is 100% accurate. Thank you for the insight!

OP
OP
RACERED-WT

RACERED-WT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Series
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unfortunately, my car is AWD and I def don't feel comfortable putting it on a dolly for that reason alone. Also, I got to thinking, the dolly would probably be less ideal then just driving the car anyways, considering its road legal because if the car goes caaaploooie at the track, you may need a flat trailer to get her back home anyways..

Pepin10

Base
First Name
Pepin10
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer
Your Bronco Model
Base
These 2 engines can tow 7500+ pounds in the ranger and F150, so I doubt engine problems are something to worry bout. Also, ur not gona show to ford dealership and be like, ya I just towed 500# over, please void my warranty. Obviously not a good idea to go over and I'm still hopefull they increase capacity
Sponsored