Sponsored

Towing Capacity - Upgradable? Can it haul a car?

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've got this same dilemma, (gti that I'm hoping to make a dedicated track car eventually), and I figure I'll solve it by not bothering with a trailer, and just getting a tow dolly. The GTI is fwd anyways, and when stripped should come in around 2600-2700 lbs. That plus a tow dolly should be well under the 3500 limit
Sponsored

OP
OP
CrownCityMisfit

CrownCityMisfit

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus, Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've got this same dilemma, (gti that I'm hoping to make a dedicated track car eventually), and I figure I'll solve it by not bothering with a trailer, and just getting a tow dolly. The GTI is fwd anyways, and when stripped should come in around 2600-2700 lbs. That plus a tow dolly should be well under the 3500 limit
Yeah looks like the dollys come in around 500 pounds. Probably the best option for both of us.

BTW, the 2000 Focus I had was purchased used. But back in the actual year 2000, I bought a new VR6 GTI. Loved that little beast. But it had persistent issues. I drove it for about 3 years and sold it. Hope you've had better luck.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
What is the limiting factor in the tow rating? The Bronco shares a lot with the Ranger, right?
Suspension and short wheel base.

Anyway, a Mastertow Car Dolly weighs just under 500 lbs, so you could tow that Focus with a car dolly, no problem. (which you already figured out)

I think you can find a lightweight aluminum flatbed trailer at under 1500 lbs if you look hard as well.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Anyway, a Mastertow Car Dolly weighs just under 500 lbs, so you could tow that Focus with a car dolly, no problem. (which you already figured out)

I think you can find a lightweight aluminum flatbed trailer at under 1500 lbs if you look hard as well.
Stop throwing the “short wheelbase” thing in there. Damn 4dr wheelbase is longer than my grand cherokee. Its the more so the offroad suspension and I have another hunch that adds to it but I’ll keep it to myself.

and not to mention, but last time I checked the 2dr wheelbase was shorter than the 4dr but yet they have the same 3500max limit.

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So far the lightest car trailer I've found from some googling is 1300lb for a 16ft tandem axle. That means taking at least 300lb off a Focus. If you're OK with a single axle there's even lighter options (think UTV trailers).

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

What is the limiting factor in the tow rating? The Bronco shares a lot with the Ranger, right? And the ranger, with a 2.3L can tow 7500lbs. Is it the lack of extra cooling for the engine or transmission?
Stop throwing the “short wheelbase” thing in there. Damn 4dr wheelbase is longer than my grand cherokee. Its the more so the offroad suspension and I have another hunch that adds to it but I’ll keep it to myself.

and not to mention, but last time I checked the 2dr wheelbase was shorter than the 4dr but yet they have the same 3500max limit.
I concur, there are plenty of vehicles with short wheelbase that have much higher tow rating. Now it certainly can't help, especially when coupled with the coilover suspension, but there's no way it's a huge limiter.

As said, the tow cap is the same between the 2-door and 4-door (except for the few so heavy that they don't even make 3500) but so is the GCWR. So considering that the curb weight of the 2-doors is much lower than the curb weight of the 4-door, the Broncos with the shorter wheelbase are the ones that can tow more when loaded with payload. I repeat, the ones with shorter wheelbase can tow more than the ones with with longer wheelbase when they're both loaded.

Attachments

Last edited:

WonkyBronky

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Wildtrak, '20 Raptor, Porsches, track cars
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The new Bronco is not a tow vehicle.
Towing the rally car in a 24' enclosed trailer with my 2018 F350 diesel from Pasadena to Glen Helen, Ridgecrest, Gorman has been effortless. Wouldn't try it even with an open trailer on my Raptor, much less something with a little 2.3L or 2.7L engine.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The new Bronco is not a tow vehicle.
Towing the rally car in a 24' enclosed trailer with my 2018 F350 diesel from Pasadena to Glen Helen, Ridgecrest, Gorman has been effortless. Wouldn't try it even with an open trailer on my Raptor, much less something with a little 2.3L or 2.7L engine.
A. The Ford towing guide lists three vehicles in its lineup as not recommended for any towing. The Bronco is not one of them. So yes, the vehicle's manufacturer does consider it to be a towing vehicle.
B. The Ranger is rated for 7500lbs with that "little 2.3L". The engine is not the problem.
C. Your baseline for towing performance is an F-350? When people talk about fuel economy do you compare it to a Prius? When they talk about acceleration do you compare it to an F1 car?

Seriously can we be done with this unhelpful garbage?

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

A. The Ford towing guide lists three vehicles in its lineup as not recommended for any towing. The Bronco is not one of them. So yes, the vehicle's manufacturer does consider it to be a towing vehicle.
B. The Ranger is rated for 7500lbs with that "little 2.3L". The engine is not the problem.
C. Your baseline for towing performance is an F-350? When people talk about fuel economy do you compare it to a Prius? When they talk about acceleration do you compare it to an F1 car?

Seriously can we be done with this unhelpful garbage?
The Grapevine is a steep grade pass headed north out of LA, towing with a Bronco occasionally, fine, towing a car trailer a few times a month, with the high desert winds, not so great.

c-881f-9cc07d905392-large16x9_bigrigcrash14Jan2019.jpg

om%2F5d%2Fe3%2F89e563ec4042bb13a90bf636a5d5%2Fsnow.jpg

Sponsored

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Please also keep in mind, not all towing is created equal.

Where I drive there are a ton of extremely long 6% grades, several 7% grades, and by the Salt River I've even been up an 8% grade.

Bronco may say 3500lbs for towing capacity, but there is no way I am going to break my new baby dragging 3500 pounds up a 7% grade.

If you're towing your car to a drag strip and the entire trip is flat, paved roads with no hills and good weather, that's when up to the 3500 might be ok. But I still wouldn't go over that.😁

Camping with hundreds of pounds of water and gear up steep mountain roads against brutal wind... I'm thinking my trailer fully loaded should probably stay under 2k-2.5k.🤔

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

wind is not an issue with an open trailer lol. you prolly would be ok with an aluminum trailer with brakes and a WDH, but again how much over you go will determine how unsafe it will be and I wouldnt do it with the current hitch. I would prolly push to 5k, but again not out of the box tow setup. Every 100 lbs of trailer weight is 10lbs on the hitch if you use the 10-13% rule on tongue weight calculations.

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would only tow short distance at low speed if you have a 2 door and you're close to max capacity. The longer wheelbase of a 4 door would be a different game due to wheelbase. If towing often and over long grades, I'd also go with the 2.7. One important factor in towing is understanding hitch height, tongue weight and trailer loading. I see more trailer tow setups done so improperly.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Please also keep in mind, not all towing is created equal.

Where I drive there are a ton of extremely long 6% grades, several 7% grades, and by the Salt River I've even been up an 8% grade.

Bronco may say 3500lbs for towing capacity, but there is no way I am going to break my new baby dragging 3500 pounds up a 7% grade.

If you're towing your car to a drag strip and the entire trip is flat, paved roads with no hills and good weather, that's when up to the 3500 might be ok. But I still wouldn't go over that.😁

Camping with hundreds of pounds of water and gear up steep mountain roads against brutal wind... I'm thinking my trailer fully loaded should probably stay under 2k-2.5k.🤔
That's your decision not to run it, but that's exactly where the 3500lbs rating comes from.

SAE J2807 runs Davis Dam (7% grade) with minimum allowable ambient temperature is 100 °F at the base of the grade. Air conditioning system controls are to be set to maximum cold setting, outside air, and full blower setting.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That's your decision not to run it, but that's exactly where the 3500lbs rating comes from.

SAE J2807 runs Davis Dam (7% grade) with minimum allowable ambient temperature is 100 °F at the base of the grade. Air conditioning system controls are to be set to maximum cold setting, outside air, and full blower setting.
That's good to know.
THAT is EXACTLY what my trips entail.😁😁
Sponsored