Towing capacity??

BONESTOCK

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'94 Lightning w/TKO swap, '04 Procharged Mach 1, '13 F150 RCSB 5.0L, '61 Falcon
Lol it happens! If only we could go back to the days of expecting trucks to only weigh 3500lbs... hell, modern performance cars have trouble meeting that weight!
LOL!! It's all tha airbags, camera's, wiring that add all that freakin weight.

TeocaliMG

First Name
Matthew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 f-250 6.9 idi diesel, 2004 jeep liberty sport
I'm going to guess towing will be in-between 3500 and 4500. enough to edge out the wrangler but not compromise the soft suspension for good off road ride/handling/articulation. Ford probably assumes (rightfully so) that most customers who need to tow significantly more than that will get a truck anyway, or already have one. I know I certainly would prefer driving my truck if I needed to tow more than that.

3crows

First Name
J
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon, Toyota Tacoma
Lifted, high clearance vehicles with generally a more narrow track and shorter wheelbase needed for real off-road maneuverability and duty generally make poor tow vehicles. It is not a matter of horsepower strictly speaking but one of stability. If the Bronco is going to quote Ford go toe to toe with the Wrangler off-road then I doubt it could have a significantly higher tow capacity without severely compromising off-road capability. It is physics, not magic.

The Gladiator has a higher tow limit as I suspect maybe a Bronco PU would have, if it ever really come to fruition. Nothing but vaporware so far and big talk by the Blue Oval.

I think some of you guys just really want a big PU truck with Bronco decals on it. There are already plenty of good tow vehicles available, what there is not plenty of is truly off-road capable vehicle, the Wrangler being the only one left. Well, the Tacoma is pretty capable as is the 4Runner but last I checked, their tops do not come off nor do the doors.

My 14yo Tacoma does not break a sweat towing our BW Outrage, both truck and boat loaded to the gills. Made many long distance, cross country tows.

IMG-4206.jpg

Last edited:

Nickp

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER 4 DOOR MT
Lifted, high clearance vehicles with generally a more narrow track and shorter wheelbase needed for real off-road maneuverability and duty generally make poor tow vehicles. It is not a matter of horsepower strictly speaking but one of stability. If the Bronco is going to quote Ford go toe to toe with the Wrangler off-road then I doubt it could have a significantly higher tow capacity without severely compromising off-road capability. It is physics, not magic.

The Gladiator has a higher tow limit as I suspect maybe a Bronco PU would have, if it ever really come to fruition. Nothing but vaporware so far and big talk by the Blue Oval.

I think some of you guys just really want a big PU truck with Bronco decals on it. There are already plenty of good tow vehicles available, what there is not plenty of is truly off-road capable vehicle, the Wrangler being the only one left. Well, the Tacoma is pretty capable as is the 4Runner but last I checked, their tops do not come off nor do the doors.

My 14yo Tacoma does not break a sweat towing our BW Outrage, both truck and boat loaded to the gills. Made many long distance, cross country tows.

IMG-4206.jpg
BUT I WANT MAH V8 AND I WANNA TOW AND GO OFF ROAD.

^People who don’t understand towing wanting the “full size” bronco.

OP
Jake_zx2

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
the Tacoma is pretty capable as is the 4Runner but last I checked, their tops do not come off nor do the doors.
Exactly. If I wanted a pickup, I'd buy a pickup. I don't understand why that's so difficult to understand.

But really, Ford may SAY that the Bronco is going to be a direct jeep competitor, but we know it's going to be wider, will likely be longer, and ultimately will not be as off-road capable. Seriously, recent pictures are showing that there's a pretty good chance it's going to be IFS... that screams "compromise"

But really, the 4-runner is plenty off-road capable, and has a significantly higher tow rating than the Jeep (and will likely be closer in size and weight to the Bronco). There's no reason the Bronco can't be off-road capable AND have a fairly decent tow rating in base guise. For the guys who want a pure off-roader, maybe there'll be a package that is more off-road oriented and have a tow rating of 100lbs

BUT I WANT MAH V8 AND I WANNA TOW AND GO OFF ROAD.

^People who don’t understand towing wanting the “full size” bronco.
BUT I WANT MAH ESCAPE WITH A VERTICAL WINDSHIELD AND A LIFT KIT

Seriously, if you're going to say dumb shit that contributes absolutely nothing, leave it for your own threads

Stampede.Offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Exactly. If I wanted a pickup, I'd buy a pickup. I don't understand why that's so difficult to understand.

But really, Ford may SAY that the Bronco is going to be a direct jeep competitor, but we know it's going to be wider, will likely be longer, and ultimately will not be as off-road capable..
Ford has never said that. The dealer meeting in NV in Nov last year had a PowerPoint slide that just said "beat Jeep" -- we don't know if that means sales volume, off road capability, number of paint colors offered, road manners etc etc etc because _Ford_ has never told us what purpose or goal they have for the Bronco.

The 4-door will probably be shorter than the Wrangler-U by 6" in the wheelbase and 1" narrower track based on the dimensions of the Ranger/Everest and the mules we've seen. Only the body width is likely to be greater -- and that's no surprise, a small car has a wider body than the Wrangler, and the Wrangler itself has gotten wider and wider over the generations. Even the EB would be wider.

As for towing that will come down to the rigidness of the chassis, which Bronco may very well be superior in because it will be shared with a high payload pickup, and the suspension ... we don't know a **** thing about.

3crows

First Name
J
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon, Toyota Tacoma
Do y'all remember the Liberty. It was available with a common rail diesel for a short time. My wife had a gas one, my sister the CRD. Both had 5,000 pound tow ratings. My wife put 300,000 trouble free miles on it and yes, it got to tow the 4,000 pound BW a number of times. The boat would push it around pretty badly. It had the power but not enough wheelbase and width. But it had plenty of power. We had an original Ford Exploder, 5,000 pound tow rating and it exploded at 156,000 miles. But it was much more stable towing the boat. When you start lifting vehicles, expect to loose towing stability and braking (in general).

Ford has said that the Bronco would have capabilities and features similar to the Wrangler, but you are right, that leaves a huge gulf of empty space in which to interpret the meaning of such things as "beat" the Wrangler.

You know, for us Wrangler folks, it is top off season, doors off too. Bikini top on, air-conditioner blasting and the stereo going and mud and dirt flying. You can keep the Raptors and hulking V8s full size vehicles and all that and turn green with jealousy when a mud covered Wrangler, top down, lifted, loaded with bikes and kayaks across the roll cage pulls up beside you and you know he/she has been where you cannot go and had more fun going and coming topless and doorless than you would even if you could. That is what sells Wranglers so if Ford intends to "beat" the Wrangler they may want to consider the successful recipe.

Last edited:

Stampede.Offroad

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Ford has said that the Bronco would have capabilities and features similar to the Wrangler .... .
No, they haven't. Not even remotely. Ford has said absolutely nothing about what the intend the Bronco to compete with. Nothing about what it is supposed to be capable of, beyond meaningles marketing fluff (i.e. "way beyond the city").

I wish they would. It's ******* annoying to not know what their target is for capability or competition.

The public and many "journalists" have presumed Ford's intention is for the Bronco to compete with the Wrangler as it once did with the CJ. But Ford has never said that or anything even remotely resembling it. Unless you think "not wimpy" = "will compete with the most off road capable production vehicle currently available".

OP
Jake_zx2

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ford has never said that.
I didn't think so, but wasn't going to harp on some he-said-she-said. I'd rather just give him the benefit of the doubt and get my point across

BroncoMike

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
"For Jeep, it’s all about rock crawling in Moab, but our premise is completely different," - Jim Farley

Sounds like an anti-Wrangler.

What Ford has said officially and publicly is very little. Nothing about "capabilities". Nothing about "features".

"Beat the Wrangler"? Please show me where Ford said that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
General Bronco Topics 8