Dads_bronze_bronco

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

As I said over in the no manual 2.7 thread, I am kind of let down by auto only on the 2.7, and the towing capacity (at least of the four door).

I wanted to do this with a manual and some torque:
8ADE80E9-8A27-475C-B4F8-1D63DDFDCBBC.jpeg

But no 2.7 manual, and while it is inexpensive to add air spring helpers and larger brakes to a JKUR, not sure how you would modify the coil overs on a Bronco.

I don’t want the length or the open bed, but maybe a Gladiator best fits my SwissArmy knife needs. At least the eco diesel is coming out, but no manual and towing capacity drops to 6000lbs (which is enough).
Advertisement

Dads_bronze_bronco

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

I called the MT not being on the v6 so not surprised there.

I am pretty surprised its not at least 5000lb towing. Whats the point of getting the 2.7 if I cant tow my boat a few miles and put it in the water.

People keep saying its the suspension but a 4Runner TRD with a weak v6 can tow 5k.

Anyway... I woke up thinking ill just go with a 4cyl so I can get the manual.
I was hoping the GOAT thing included a towing setting that stiffened the rear coil overs, but I guess not.

Jeep is probably breathing a sigh of relief in the Gladiator side of things this morning.

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mariner, 2016 CMAX, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Bronco
Black Diamond
As I said over in the no manual 2.7 thread, I am kind of let down by auto only on the 2.7, and the towing capacity (at least of the four door).

I wanted to do this with a manual and some torque:
8ADE80E9-8A27-475C-B4F8-1D63DDFDCBBC.jpeg

But no 2.7 manual, and while it is inexpensive to add air spring helpers and larger brakes to a JKUR, not sure how you would modify the coil overs on a Bronco.

I don’t want the length or the open bed, but maybe a Gladiator best fits my SwissArmy knife needs. At least the eco diesel is coming out, but no manual and towing capacity drops to 6000lbs (which is enough).
If you know how to tow that boat, I would not have an issue hooking it up with a 2.3L manual. Most towing failures are human error/stupidity. Automakers add in plenty of cushion with their numbers. Again, it is all about Risk (warranty, insurance, etc).

Last edited:

Dmk08

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Bronco
Undecided
Clubs

I wouldn't have any issue pulling a 5K boat a couple of miles and dropping it in the water with a 2.7 auto. You could probably tow 7.5K pounds no problem. It all depends on how you drive and your level of risk.
Gotcha. Its actually closer to 4k. I have been towing it since I got it with an 08 v6 4runner without issue.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

If you know how to tow that boat, I would have not issue hooking it up with a 2.3L manual. Most towing failures are human error/stupidity.
I hear what you are saying. I’ve been towing 5200 GVWR with a modified Wrangler for years, including a few longer regional trips. I figured the Wrangler was rated for 7000 in Europe and Australia. It can be tricky on the highway with 18 wheelers, but it is doable.

Was hoping to go “legit” tho ...

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Black Diamond
I hear what you are saying. I’ve been towing 5200 GVWR with a modified Wrangler for years, including a few longer regional trips. I figured the Wrangler was rated for 7000 in Europe and Australia. It can be tricky on the highway with 18 wheelers, but it is doable.

I hear you, but the US is such a litigious country. I am glad we have 3500 pounds...so I would be fine with double that number as long as you drive conservatively. It would be nice to have a towing package that gets the 4D up to 5K.

scape

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Bronco
Undecided
Why is the towing capacity only 3500? That is a bit of a let down, I was expecting near 5000.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Bronco
Badlands
Legal Reason is all that we can think of.......

eBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Mr. C
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Black Diamond

Laminar

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Bronco
Black Diamond

I covered this more thoroughly earlier in this thread, but other countries have:
- Better driver training, and specific towing training
- Speed limits on vehicles that are towing
I'm sure a Wrangler is fine doing 60mph pulling 5000lbs, but in the US they have to assume you'll be doing 85 on the interstate, and that's less fine.

scape

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Bronco
Undecided
You'd think with all this safety stuff they pack in now that a Tow mode would become a new standard-- limiting top speed and maybe even angle. Anyways, maybe you can tow 5000lbs by pushing it occasionally but it seems like both tongue weight and transmission would be at risk here, no?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Bronco
Badlands
Clubs

You'd think with all this safety stuff they pack in now that a Tow mode would become a new standard-- limiting top speed and maybe even angle. Anyways, maybe you can tow 5000lbs by pushing it occasionally but it seems like both tongue weight and transmission would be at risk here, no?
on the Jeep at least, I figured if the European and Australian tongue weight and tow weight ratings were higher than what I was towing, with the same transmission and axle, then I am probably OK. What I did not know was if the rear frame was any different in those markets.

Would be interesting to see European or Australian spec sheets for the Bronco.

Also, the M/T specs were something like 10000 lb towing capacity, and the 10sp A/T is used on trucks with higher capacity, so the transmissions are capable.

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Bronco
Badlands
I read in the specs somewhere that there's an trailer anti-sway feature, like the Ranger; also, I think that there's a trailer-mode button in the middle of the G.O.A.T. dial; if this does what it does in the Ranger (adjusts shifting pattern/downhill engine-braking), I'd be happy, though a Class-II hitch is ridiculous - that's what wimpy Subies get, no? My car/trailer come in at just under 3,500 lbs., so am squeaking by... The turbo-4 is plenty powerful for my towing purposes, but the 2.7 will be smoother day-to-day.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 GC Trailhawk, ‘05 LJ, ‘17 F150 3.5 Screw
Bronco
Badlands
This whole towing capacity has me leaning towards the ecodiesel gladiator and potentially steering even the wife away from her 4dr badlands reservation. Just give us 5k tow rating and I’ll be happy and she’ll be happy. No manual for me and would be 2.7/10speed.

scape

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Bronco
Undecided
I read in the specs somewhere that there's an trailer anti-sway feature, like the Ranger;
Yes I saw an anti-sway feature as standard on Ford's Bronco site, which is kind of interesting because the towing package isn't standard.

Advertisement

BDS Suspension
Advertisement