Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 BMW M3, F80 BMW M3, E70 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a question on Towing:
It does state that Base model does not have an optional "Towing package". Is there something fundamentally different in the frame/body to other models or does it simply mean that the "tow hitch" itself is an option that you cant choose for Base right of the bat?
If that is the case, is Base prewired for a tow and can accept aftermarket or Ford hitch ordered separately?

So to sum it up, what does it take to have a Base model towing 3500lbs? Or can it out of the box?

Is there a chance for the "Towing Package" which is described as "TBD" to be able to handle over 3500lbs?

This is how my E70 X5 came - prewired, and I installed Curt hitch without any issues.
Therefore, just in case I have also reserved Black Diamond to cover the worst case scenario.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, FJ40, SLK300, Viper
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have a question on Towing:
It does state that Base model does not have an optional "Towing package". Is there something fundamentally different in the frame/body to other models or does it simply mean that the "tow hitch" itself is an option that you cant choose for Base right of the bat?
If that is the case, is Base prewired for a tow and can accept aftermarket or Ford hitch ordered separately?

So to sum it up, what does it take to have a Base model towing 3500lbs? Or can it out of the box?

Is there a chance for the "Towing Package" which is described as "TBD" to be able to handle over 3500lbs?

This is how my E70 X5 came - prewired, and I installed Curt hitch without any issues.
Therefore, just in case I have also reserved Black Diamond to cover the worst case scenario.
Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I'm looking at a first edition and it also lists towing package as an optional item, which is surprising. So don't feel left out on the base.

I'd say it's likely that you could add a hitch and wiring aftermarket without a problem. Uhaul for example offers towing hitches and install for vehicles.

Tow rating of #3500 is likely fixed, the tow package wouldn't increase that number.

For comparison sake, the Wrangler tow package includes the hitch, wiring, an extra interior switch cluster and upgraded alternator. But still you could add a hitch and wiring without the factory towing package.

Hope this helps and hope we find out more.

OP
OP

Gilveabn

Black Diamond
First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you, but I'm looking at a first edition and it also lists towing package as an optional item, which is surprising. So don't feel left out on the base.

I'd say it's likely that you could add a hitch and wiring aftermarket without a problem. Uhaul for example offers towing hitches and install for vehicles.

Tow rating of #3500 is likely fixed, the tow package wouldn't increase that number.

For comparison sake, the Wrangler tow package includes the hitch, wiring, an extra interior switch cluster and upgraded alternator. But still you could add a hitch and wiring without the factory towing package.

Hope this helps and hope we find out more.
Thank you for your input. Makes total sense.
I sure think it shouldnt be too hard to add a hitch later on like I did on my X5.
3500 rating being fixed would be a bit of a let down. Especially since 4runners are capable of 5000lbs. I will have to get creating with my 2700lbs track car + trailer setup.

SliderJack

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser, FJ40, SLK300, Viper
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thank you for your input. Makes total sense.
I sure think it shouldnt be too hard to add a hitch later on like I did on my X5.
3500 rating being fixed would be a bit of a let down. Especially since 4runners are capable of 5000lbs. I will have to get creating with my 2700lbs track car + trailer setup.
I'm in the same boat. I was hoping for 5000. But in comparison, the 4 door wrangler jlu is the same at 3500. 2 door wrangler JL is even less.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The ranger with the same 2.3l engine has a 3500lb tow capacity that increases to 7500lbs with the tow package. And being that the 3500lbs is exactly the same across the board for the bronco(regardless of engine/transmission, 2-door/4-door) I’m def hoping/thinking the tow package will increase that. I mean the engines and transmission can def handle it, the 2.3 tows 7500lbs in the ranger, the 2.7 tows 9000lbs in the f150. The tow package is actually my last hope for getting a bronco, if it doesn’t increase the tow cap I won’t be buying a bronco.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The ranger with the same 2.3l engine has a 3500lb tow capacity that increases to 7500lbs with the tow package. And being that the 3500lbs is exactly the same across the board for the bronco(regardless of engine/transmission, 2-door/4-door) I’m def hoping/thinking the tow package will increase that. I mean the engines and transmission can def handle it, the 2.3 tows 7500lbs in the ranger, the 2.7 tows 9000lbs in the f150. The tow package is actually my last hope for getting a bronco, if it doesn’t increase the tow cap I won’t be buying a bronco.
This is the same line of thought I have had.

3500 is the limit for a Class II hitch.... I wonder (hope) that they slapped a Class II on the Bronco so they could have a tow number for the reveal.

Granted, there's a lot that goes into a tow rating, but I'm wondering (hoping) that they could be working on a Class III hitch for the platform, a long with engineering and testing, to later reveal a higher tow rating to go along with an associated package, even if it's only for the 4-door with the longer wheelbase. .

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Ranger without the tow package has a bumper-mounted hitch and a 4-pin connector and is rated at 3500lbs. Adding the tow pack gives a frame-mounted class iv hitch and the 4/7 pin connector and bumps the rating to 7500lbs.

On other Ford models, the tow pack specifies a certain rear end gear ratio, adds extra engine or transmission cooling, and enables software features like trailer sway control into the stability control setup.

Adding an aftermarket class iv receiver (assuming they're made available) doesn't necessarily net you any of the other upgrades the tow pack may come with. But in general, if you're not doing the Ike Gauntlet in the middle of July, you'll probably be fine.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I will have to get creating with my 2700lbs track car + trailer setup.
Same boat. Current crossover can do 3500lbs so I'm limited to flat-towing or dolly-towing the race car. I've been considering a truck so I can actually put the car on a trailer, but when the Bronco became a possibility, plans changed. I'm still holding out hope that it'll be able to do at least 5000lbs.

gonyr

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm hoping the tow package gets a class III, a 7 pin connector, a slight increase in capacity (although 3500 is ok for me, I'd like a little more so I'm not so close to the max), and a built in brake controller.

Sponsored

Shane

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser and 2001 F250 SD 4WD 7.3l
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm hoping the tow package gets a class III, a 7 pin connector, a slight increase in capacity (although 3500 is ok for me, I'd like a little more so I'm not so close to the max), and a built in brake controller.
Yeah I’m VERY interested in an integrated brake controller. Like in my FJ, there’s not much room for mounting. Hoping for higher tow rating, but like you, 3500 lb rating will handle my pop-up and gear fine. Just.

OP
OP

Gilveabn

Black Diamond
First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Same boat. Current crossover can do 3500lbs so I'm limited to flat-towing or dolly-towing the race car. I've been considering a truck so I can actually put the car on a trailer, but when the Bronco became a possibility, plans changed. I'm still holding out hope that it'll be able to do at least 5000lbs.
I guess we will have to wait and see on the updated Towing Package specs from Ford. Hopefully not too long

DrewL

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150, 2020 Fusion Hybrid, 2009 Rubicon 2D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hope they have the integrated brake controller ready to go from the factory at the outset. The Ranger brake controller is only a dealer installed option. Installation is quite involved and requires removing the headliner to wire it. Many Ranger owners had problems with dealers doing it properly for a reasonable price. It is mind boggling that this happened on a pick-up truck.

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs