Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Do you need the towing package to attach a bike rack?
Not sure I understand... Yes., There is no way to mount a bike rack without adding a hitch (aka a Bronco does not come with anything Standard)

Do you need the whole package with the wiring and software for the Sync ... No, you could put on an aftermarket later and not wire up the 4 pin.
Sponsored

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The only thing I may need to tow is a couple of bikes. But the plan is to keep my F-150 and I can haul bikes with that. If I ever get rid of the truck, I'll throw a hitch on the Bronco.

LARELL

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do you need the towing package to attach a bike rack?
thats how i understood it based on the B&P and information i found when i was looking into it assuming you wanted it ready to go when you receive the vehicle with no work to do.
to add the hitch mount bike rack B&P automatically adds the tow package so it makes a bike rack $1,100.
I was thinking of getting an aftermarket bike rack that attaches through the spare tire. I really want a teardrop trailer but i know im never going to pay $15,000+ on one so theres no point in adding the tow package on my bronco.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I really want a teardrop trailer but i know im never going to pay $15,000+ on one so theres no point in adding the tow package on my bronco.
I expect within a year or two we'll see a flood of used "pandemic purchase" RVs at killer prices. (y)

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm not doing it myself.

I've looked at the UHaul version and they look like hell - plus you lose clearance.

I'd rather have and use it rarely than not have it and discover I needed it once.

$9 a month for 60 months just wasn't a big deal for me - and one less thing on the list to make an appointment / research on.
Also , Hypothetical. If the Bronco retains its value of say 50% after five years, Bronco sold the hitch retained $300. You did not lose a $600 hitch selling your Bronco.

Sponsored

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also , Hypothetical. If the Bronco retains its value of say 50% after five years, Bronco sold the hitch retained $300. You did not lose a $600 hitch selling your Bronco.
Even if it cost only $300 to get it put on aftermarket wise, once you add in research and wait time, and this assumes it is right the first time, I'm likely breaking even or close to it. I'd rather work an extra day and get it covered once and for all.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Even if it cost only $300 to get it put on aftermarket wise, once you add in research and wait time, and this assumes it is right the first time, I'm likely breaking even or close to it. I'd rather work an extra day and get it covered once and for all.
So..... you make $75/hr. after taxes.........
($600/8hrs.=$75)

If I made that kinda cheddar, I'd have no problem just getting the tow package AND a truck to tow anything heavier that the dismal 3500lbs. tow rating that the Bronco has.

Don't get me wrong, I'm truly happy for you, but there are those of us who bring home closer to half of what you have implied that you make.

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So..... you make $75/hr. after taxes.........
($600/8hrs.=$75)

If I made that kinda cheddar, I'd have no problem just getting the tow package AND a truck to tow anything heavier that the dismal 3500lbs. tow rating that the Bronco has.

Don't get me wrong, I'm truly happy for you, but there are those of us who bring home closer to half of what you have implied that you make.
Aftermarket guess is $300. Ford is $600. So the difference is about $300 that I am "overpaying".

That is like $35 an hour.

OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Since when is "wait time" equated in billable hours? (Or even research time, in my world.)

Some of you have a bizarre way of computing potential DIY savings.

Sponsored

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since when is "wait time" equated in billable hours? (Or even research time, in my world.)

Some of you have a bizarre way of computing potential DIY savings.
My time has value.

Dunno why that is a strange concept to you.

OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My time has value.

Dunno why that is a strange concept to you.
When you’re “waiting” for something you can be doing something else.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Getting a base, no tow package for me. If I just needed a bike rack, good to go with it. For me, just as well. The package offered by Ford is a POS, anybody who has done any towing knows it.

wigid

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Patrol
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The real question is are the LED tail lights (on some models) run on 12 volt triggers or Can-bus. If they are can-bus then you will need a control box to convert to 12v triggers for trailer lights. If they are simple 12 volt triggers than the wiring will be easy.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Fun fact: This is what a aftermarket hitch looks like after 10 years in Wisconsin. If one pays attention, rust starts forming on aftermarket hitches before they leave the box!

For those of you that are getting a base like I was with my XLS, you have no choice. Easy to install. If you add an aftermarket wiring to the lights, the box that converts from separate turn signals and brakes to a common signal, do not always last that long (ask me how I know). The Ford install wiring was not connected nor was the fuse box wired. (Ask me how I know). In any case, we do not know how the wiring is in the Bronco. Installing the hitch is a piece of cake. Just be careful, the road salt here likes cake!

Ford Bronco Towing Package: worth it or no? 6224A928-7756-46EC-AF18-957A10A3609F
Sponsored