RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Last question before I place my order (Black Diamond) this week: is the common consensus that the Towing Capability is not worth the $600 asking price as it is merely a hitch and a wiring harness? No transmission cooler/etc. that you may get with other vehicles' tow packages?
Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m not sure it matters as much what you get with other vehicles (the Bronco probably doesn’t need a trans cooler or larger radiator for the 3.5k rating). To me it’s just expensive for a basic hitch and harness. Hitch should be less than $150 aftermarket and a good plug in harness and factory “replica” mount and 5/7 pin connector about $100-$120. I can install it myself, if you can’t , figure $150 for labor. That’s about 40% off for aftermarket. I will also hopefully add a class III hitch as well for about the same $.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Last question before I place my order (Black Diamond) this week: is the common consensus that the Towing Capability is not worth the $600 asking price as it is merely a hitch and a wiring harness? No transmission cooler/etc. that you may get with other vehicles' tow packages?
It also adds another recovery point to the rear of the vehicle. So for me, that and the wiring make it worth it.

Sponsored

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just took mine off my order. Figured there's no point if the hitch is only rated for 3500lbs. I don't know if they will up the rating to a class3 or 5000lbs... But if they do I just wasted 600 to have to change it out again anyways... So I'll just wait a bit and see. Besides I'll get ford to install one at some point depending on what trailer I eventually buy, so that'll look after the whole package and wiring that may have been included originally.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Place to attach a winch to.

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m not sure it matters as much what you get with other vehicles (the Bronco probably doesn’t need a trans cooler or larger radiator for the 3.5k rating). To me it’s just expensive for a basic hitch and harness. Hitch should be less than $150 aftermarket and a good plug in harness and factory “replica” mount and 5/7 pin connector about $100-$120. I can install it myself, if you can’t , figure $150 for labor. That’s about 40% off for aftermarket. I will also hopefully add a class III hitch as well for about the same $.
The receiver with the factory hitch is already a 2” unit. I don’t know what more you’d get with an aftermarket class III hitch.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Right, I know the advantage of having a hitch receiver (which I plan to get regardless). The question is whether the factory option is worth the $600 or if an equivalent (or better) aftermarket solution will be available for significantly less.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would ask the winch manufacturer, but class II , 3500lb capacity receiver is maybe a bit light for even a 5k lb. winch. Adding a snatch block to pull the big Bronco would definitely stress the capacity.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Right, I know the advantage of having a hitch receiver (which I plan to get regardless). The question is whether the factory option is worth the $600 or if an equivalent (or better) aftermarket solution will be available for significantly less.
I think the trailer brake wiring was covered in one of the other trailering threads, my boat has surge brakes, so not an issue for me (this I don’t commit the answer to memory 🤔).

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was only answering about the additional recovery point... but yeah, I know what ya mean about capacity
Sponsored