Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is generally a relatively easy DYI but to be honest, I prefer going with OEM hitch setups from factory.

I installed a hitch on our Acura MDX and it was a relatively easy project, but wiring was a pain and it still didn't look as nice and integrated as when done by factory.

I'll be doing enough stuff further down the road with lighting and tops so this was an easy choice for me. Could it be cheaper for what you get, yes, but I'd rather not deal with this on my $55k rig.
Sponsored

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As it stands now.....We don't know what all is included within the current tow package.

1. Is the Vehicle Wiring Harness different between a Vehicle with/without the tow package? Unknown
2. Are there other components (brakes/radiator/etc...) that are different between a Vehicle with/without the tow package? Unknown, but I'll speculate that there are none, as the Bronco will be sharing the production line with the new Ranger. So whatever is being used in the Ranger will "more than likely" be the same as what's being used in the Bronco.

Bottom Line..... We don't know what all is included within the current tow package.

......and without this knowledge, we can't make an informed decision.

So..... FoMoCo..... PLEASE release details of what is actually in the current tow package! PLEASE!
... because if you don't, I'll guarantee that you're going to piss-off several customers after the buying public learns what's is/isn't in it after they've placed their order.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As it stands now.....We don't know what all is included within the current tow package.

1. Is the Vehicle Wiring Harness different between a Vehicle with/without the tow package? Unknown
2. Are there other components (brakes/radiator/etc...) that are different between a Vehicle with/without the tow package? Unknown, but I'll speculate that there are none, as the Bronco will be sharing the production line with the new Ranger. So whatever is being used in the Ranger will "more than likely" be the same as what's being used in the Bronco.

Bottom Line..... We don't know what all is included within the current tow package.

......and without this knowledge, we can't make an informed decision.

So..... FoMoCo..... PLEASE release details of what is actually in the current tow package! PLEASE!
... because if you don't, I'll guarantee that you're going to piss-off several customers after the buying public learns what's is/isn't in it after they've placed their order.
I thought I remember a Q&A where Ford confirmed that tow package is only receiver and harness. No extra coolers, brakes, etc.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you have something to tow now, get it from factory, otherwise it can wait, no big deal. There will be plenty hitches later to add. They don't even offer it on base, so all those will probably be adding one later.

600$, how much is having less stress worth to you to not worry about it later?

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

A vehicle’s tow rating depends on the manufacturer’s. GCWR. The hitch rating is only for the hardware. It is a maximum for a class. The actual tow rating for the vehicle can be a lot less.
In this case it's the opposite forcall but the highest trims though. Look up the GCWR, curb weight, and tow cap of a BB vs. BL and you'll see what I mean. It's weird.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

its St Patricks day, I might have a $600 bar bill today so theres that.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you have something to tow now, get it from factory, otherwise it can wait, no big deal. There will be plenty hitches later to add. They don't even offer it on base, so all those will probably be adding one later.

600$, how much is having less stress worth to you to not worry about it later?
This is my thought as well. Whether I get my rig in the beginning of Summer or the end, I'm gonna want to immediately throw on my hitch mounted bike rack and head for the shore, so to me it's worth the $600.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This explains everything. :unsure:
Your a little “fuzzy”. That was my comment in jest to a member from Colorado who stated he wasted time reading your question. Now go eat your free DIY sandwich.
My comment did not state that I "wasted time" reading the OP's question, rather it is a good question which received many different and valuable opinions. I added it to my original order.

I was just staying on theme with the time is money idea, and I spent a fair amount of time reading the thread and equated it to a dollar value.

Given how many states have legalized recreational marijuana now and those with legalized medical usage now, such as Louisiana,.........the whole Colorado = getting high joke has sort of played out. ;)

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Answers are simple IMO.

1. Is it WORTH it... Absolutely, no doubt. The need to be able to connect a trailer, bike rack, etc is practically a requirement... Especially since so many of us can't get a roof rack.
  2. Is it a great VALUE... Absolutely NOT. It is over priced for what you are getting.
  3. Would it be cheaper to go aftermarket...most likely but by how much once you factor in parts, wiring, computer tweaks, YOUR TIME, etc. Doubtful it would work out to be that much cheaper (especially if you are getting invoice or less), plus you will void warranties once you start splicing into factory wiring (going with the most likely reasoning that Ford will NOT be including the wiring just waiting for you to plug things in.)
  4. Bronco is a Class II towing rig, that is why Ford advertises as Class II but it is other factors that make it that like suspension. The Hitch itself has a 2" receiver AND is bolted directly to the Frame, which IMO makes it a Class III. I'm going to verify the bolts are Grade 8 and not spend another second worrying about the capacity of the Hitch...just the Bronco.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

To each his own, I can understand both arguments, but this hitch is of the same style as the factory hitch on the Bronco, has plug and play wiring (4 pin however) which could be installed in less time than I've spent reading this thread.

I'm sure Qtech or someone will have it for the Bronco by the time we get them.
Quadratec 12015 1020 Premium 2" Hitch with Wiring Kit & Quadratec Logo Plug for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK
quadratec_0.png

161519.jpg

The Quadratec® Difference
  • Includes Phone Tech SupportFor the life of the product
  • Satisfaction GuaranteedNo hassle return policy
  • Guaranteed Lowest PriceWe'll match or beat any price*
  • Free ShippingFree shipping on orders over $49**
Premium 2" Hitch with Wiring Kit & Quadratec Logo Plug

Quadratec Part #: 12015.1020
MSRP
$94.97
Discount
-$20.00
In Cart Price
$74.97
Guaranteed Best Price
$74.97
free-shipping.png

Sponsored

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
No

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure if increased resistance will be a problem... just piggybacking onto wires could cause the blinkers to flash really fast or not blink at all. Granted, I also don’t know if it’s an easy fix by simply replacing the flasher relay , like on an older vehicle. Just an added thought.

one more thought... and I guess it’s based on trim level... but, I wonder how/if it would affect the BLIS system.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you need the towing package to attach a bike rack?
Actually a great point. If all you ever want is receiver hitch accessories, DIY is probably the way to go.

srick76

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, 69 Bronco, Durango RT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought I remember a Q&A where Ford confirmed that tow package is only receiver and harness. No extra coolers, brakes, etc.
yes, I vaguely remember that as well.
Sponsored