Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm vacillating between the V6 and I4. I've ordered the 2.7, but with it being a sin, and its higher cost (and the perceived reliability issues), I'm thinking about going with the 2.3. Anyone have the 4 cylinder and using it to tow, particularly up grades? I'll be towing a pop up tent trailer (2K lbs.), going from 1,200' to 7,000' 3 to 4 times a year. Anyone with experience towing with a 2.3 up a hill?
Sponsored

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don’t have any first hand experience towing with it, but considering the Ranger is rated for 7500lbs with the same motor it shouldn’t be a problem with 2k. Being turbocharged will help with the altitude as well. TFL Truck has a video with the Ranger towing 5000lbs uphill, might be worth a watch to see what their comments are on the motor

OP
OP
RedDawg

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don’t have any first hand experience towing with it, but considering the Ranger is rated for 7500lbs with the same motor it shouldn’t be a problem with 2k. Being turbocharged will help with the altitude as well. TFL Truck has a video with the Ranger towing 5000lbs uphill, might be worth a watch to see what their comments are on the motor
Thanks, I'll take a look. That'll help. I know it's proven engine, and doing well in the Ranger.
And there was another thread about a 2.3 BD towing a 3K# boat, so I think it should be OK. Just nervous to call my dealer and change my order. Looking for confirmation that the Bronco's 2.3 will do the trick!

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm vacillating between the V6 and I4. I've ordered the 2.7, but with it being a sin, and its higher cost (and the perceived reliability issues), I'm thinking about going with the 2.3. Anyone have the 4 cylinder and using it to tow, particularly up grades? I'll be towing a pop up tent trailer (2K lbs.), going from 1,200' to 7,000' 3 to 4 times a year. Anyone with experience towing with a 2.3 up a hill?
With the build you have in your signature line, honestly I’m wondering why you didn’t order a Black Diamond and save some money?

That 2.3 won’t even know that pop up is back there.

OP
OP
RedDawg

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

With the build you have in your signature line, honestly I’m wondering why you didn’t order a Black Diamond and save some money?

That 2.3 won’t even know that pop up is back there.
Right?! BD is a little more expensive, but I really don’t want the vinyl seats. Living in Phoenix with the top off, vinyl seats are just asking for 2nd degree burns,

Sponsored

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Right?! BD is a little more expensive, but I really don’t want the vinyl seats. Living in Phoenix with the top off, vinyl seats are just asking for 2nd degree burns,
Maybe not as hot but I’m in Texas and got me some really cool microfiber seat throws. ;)

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.3L will be perfectly fine. I regularly drove the 2.3L Ranger with 4000 - 5000 lbs behind me on my way up to Flagstaff, AZ (7000 ft elevation), and it was great. There is a lot I absolutely hate about the Ranger but the engine is not one of them.

If you are really concerned about it... bump up to the one of the higher axle ratios. Either the 4.46 axle on the Black Diamond or 4.7 axle that's included with the Sasquatch package. If you stick with the automatic transmission, the 4.27 axle should also be fine--10 gears really extends the capability of a smaller engine while towing.

If you were towing multiple times a month, then yeah... sure it probably makes sense to go with the 2.7L just to have the extra breathing room. But if it is a handful of times a year, I wouldn't worry about it.

---

Also... its worth noting that the tow package is another one of the major sins, so switching to the 2.3L may ultimately not help that much unless you remove the tow package as well.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I see from your zip code that you're going to be heading up to the rim for camping, I wouldn't sweat it. as an analog to compare against, my wife's Subaru Ascent (270 hp, 280ish tq) has 5k lbs tow capacity, and hauled the absolute mail taking our popup up to Greer a couple months back. Other than the bronco having slightly spongy brakes, I'd suspect it'll do just fine on either the 87 or the 17 getting up north. Definitely make sure you've got a brake controller tho (of course)

Also, *waves hi to another arizona member*

OP
OP
RedDawg

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I see from your zip code that you're going to be heading up to the rim for camping, I wouldn't sweat it. as an analog to compare against, my wife's Subaru Ascent (270 hp, 280ish tq) has 5k lbs tow capacity, and hauled the absolute mail taking our popup up to Greer a couple months back. Other than the bronco having slightly spongy brakes, I'd suspect it'll do just fine on either the 87 or the 17 getting up north. Definitely make sure you've got a brake controller tho (of course)

Also, *waves hi to another arizona member*
That’s exactly the plan. Either the 17 or 87 up The Rim for camping. Just wondering if I can get around the big rigs going up the grade. And in 100 plus degree weather.

OP
OP
RedDawg

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The 2.3L will be perfectly fine. I regularly drove the 2.3L Ranger with 4000 - 5000 lbs behind me on my way up to Flagstaff, AZ (7000 ft elevation), and it was great. There is a lot I absolutely hate about the Ranger but the engine is not one of them.

If you are really concerned about it... bump up to the one of the higher axle ratios. Either the 4.46 axle on the Black Diamond or 4.7 axle that's included with the Sasquatch package. If you stick with the automatic transmission, the 4.27 axle should also be fine--10 gears really extends the capability of a smaller engine while towing.

If you were towing multiple times a month, then yeah... sure it probably makes sense to go with the 2.7L just to have the extra breathing room. But if it is a handful of times a year, I wouldn't worry about it.

---

Also... its worth noting that the tow package is another one of the major sins, so switching to the 2.3L may ultimately not help that much unless you remove the tow package as well.
Tow is a must, just like my ultimate sin 2dr MIC đź‘ą

Sponsored
OP
OP
RedDawg

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Maybe not as hot but I’m in Texas and got me some really cool terry cloth seat throws. ;)
We’re brutal for a long time; Easter to Halloween 90 to 100 full sun. I have leather now, and that’s uncomfortable when I have to park in the sun.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tow is a must, just like my ultimate sin 2dr MIC đź‘ą
Eh, I would just hang onto the 2.7L then unless you were switching for fuel/cost savings. If you are going to have a major issue with the 2.7L engine similar to the ones we have been seeing, chances are it'll happen well within the warranty period.

Also, I don't know what you are towing, but if it's a boat or a camper you probably have surge breaks on the trailer. In which case you don't need the trailer tow package. Just do this...

OP
OP
RedDawg

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Eh, I would just hang onto the 2.7L then unless you were switching for fuel/cost savings. If you are going to have a major issue with the 2.7L engine similar to the ones we have been seeing, chances are it'll happen well within the warranty period.

Also, I don't know what you are towing, but if it's a boat or a camper you probably have surge breaks on the trailer. In which case you don't need the trailer tow package. Just do this...
No brakes on the trailer, a little popup. I’m not concerned with braking, just looking for some real world experience pulling 2K# up a steep grade with the 2.3. I know the Ranger can do it. I’m hoping someone with a Bronco and the I4 has towed SOMETHING up a big hill.

69BroncoX302

First Edition
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 U15, 2021 First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Go with the 2.7, there hasn't been many that have actually failed, 5 Maybe out of tens of thousands. You will need it if you are towing, its like seeing those folks that wanted to save some money on 250(0)s or 350(0)s with gas motors. shite power, shite mpg compared to the diesels. LOL I get better MPG in my 3500 diesel then I do in my bronco LOL

I vote, 2.7!

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m in the “no replacement for displacement” party. We drive torque… Ford sells “horsepower”. Towing on grades, you will NOT regret the 27. I’m sure the 23’s are fine, but after 50k miles I’ll be glad I have the lower-rpm higher-torque 27. I plan on towing an 1800lb fishing rig regularly. The only way to truly know is to wait three years and post this thread again- haha
Sponsored