John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s interesting to see the complaints (and complain myself) about the lack of Bronco color choices and then see how few there are for the TRD Pro, which seems like the *closest* competitor to the Badlands. I’d still prefer the BL.
Sponsored

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am probably one of very few people in this situation as I own a 2021 4runner TRD Off Road and I have a Bronco on order.

They are for different purposes. One is a convertible off-road toy that can be driven on the street and take the doors off. The other is a capable SUV. I can't stress enough how EXTREMELY DIFFERENT they are. I don't know who compares them apples to apples. The 4runner is amazing. I love it to death. It's been on it's first off road trip a few weeks ago and it did great. It is not a rock crawler, it is not going to run 35s/37s on a reasonable budget and it would ruin a lot of what makes it so nice. It's a fantastic SUV. I am so glad we bought it, but it's not a bronco.

The ONLY vehicle having a conversation with the bronco is a wrangler.
Nope, I have a 2018 4Runner with a Bronco Badlands w/sasquatch on order as well. I have a 3" suspension lift and 34" tires. I've done Moab and Ouray both this year without any issues. Hell's revenge, Hell's gate, Top of the World, Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, Poughkeepsie Gulch, Yankee Boy Basin, Alpine loop, etc in my 4Runner and the 4Runner is more than capable to go almost as many places as the Bronco. I paid $38k for my TRD off road brand new and with the mods I have, I've still not paid as much as we will for the Badlands w/sasquatch. The people in this forum that are downplaying the 4Runner's abilities are just showing their ignorance. They are more than capable for the majority of people's needs. I'm getting the Bronco because I plan to challenge myself even more in the future. They key differences are departure/approach angles (not a factor until you are really going hardcore), front lockers (you can get those for 4Runners in the aftermarket), Sway bar disconnect, 35s from the factory (4Runners abound with 35s with 3"lifts, pinch weld mod, and BMC <$5k), removable roof, and 360 camera (Toyota is adding this to newer models).

If Toyota offers a TRD Pro in the upcoming 6th gen with a front locker option, 360 camera, and more accommodating wheel wells, I'd be willing to consider staying with them.

erics667

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2.3L MT A51, 1974 Ford Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nope, I have a 2018 4Runner with a Bronco Badlands w/sasquatch on order as well. I have a 3" suspension lift and 34" tires. I've done Moab and Ouray both this year without any issues. Hell's revenge, Hell's gate, Top of the World, Black Bear Pass, Imogene Pass, Poughkeepsie Gulch, Yankee Boy Basin, Alpine loop, etc in my 4Runner and the 4Runner is more than capable to go almost as many places as the Bronco. I paid $38k for my TRD off road brand new and with the mods I have, I've still not paid as much as we will for the Badlands w/sasquatch. The people in this forum that are downplaying the 4Runner's abilities are just showing their ignorance. They are more than capable for the majority of people's needs. I'm getting the Bronco because I plan to challenge myself even more in the future. They key differences are departure/approach angles (not a factor until you are really going hardcore), front lockers (you can get those for 4Runners in the aftermarket), Sway bar disconnect, 35s from the factory (4Runners abound with 35s with 3"lifts, pinch weld mod, and BMC <$5k), removable roof, and 360 camera (Toyota is adding this to newer models).

If Toyota offers a TRD Pro in the upcoming 6th gen with a front locker option, 360 camera, and more accommodating wheel wells, I'd be willing to consider staying with them.
Agreed....4Runner has been in the top 2 most capable off-road vehicles for years.

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What?!

The key difference is one has a roof and doors that come off. I mean that’s the foundational difference. One has a insulated and complete cabin the other has a removable plastic roof.

I see what you’re saying, but I’d go out on a limb and say they are catering to some very different audiences 80% of the time.

the 4Runner is an suv that is very capable. The bronco is a different thing.
A removable roof does nothing for off road capabilities. You can get removable roofs (convertibles) in Mustangs and many other cars.
Sponsored