AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Besides the front locker and the option for 35 inch tires from the factory, what off-road capability does a Bronco have that a 4Runner doesn’t have? Stock ground clearance on the Toyota is better that some Bronco trim levels. Not saying the Bronco doesn’t look great, but they’re not that different.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Besides the front locker and the option for 35 inch tires from the factory, what off-road capability does a Bronco have that a 4Runner doesn’t have? Stock ground clearance on the Toyota is better that some Bronco trim levels. Not saying the Bronco doesn’t look great, but they’re not that different.
I’m highest trim levels: a Bronco has: more ground clearance, higher water fording ability, way better approach angle, way better departure angle, better break over angle, a front locker, more articulation, bigger tires, better trail visibility…you can go on and on…they are not in the same ballpark.

elbroncodor

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Tacoma w/ long travel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man you did, like, zero research before making this statement. Angles, gearing, wheel travel, disconnecting sway bar, tire position cameras, trail turn assist, 1 pedal driving... the list is extensive.

AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Man you did, like, zero research before making this statement. Angles, gearing, wheel travel, disconnecting sway bar, tire position cameras, trail turn assist, 1 pedal driving... the list is extensive.
Correct, I did no research. And correct, the Bronco has a bunch of stuff (some significant, some not so much) that a 4Runner doesn’t. But a 4Runner, unlike “just another general use SUV,” can be modded without much difficulty to be well within the same ballpark as any Bronco. Anyway, don’t want to argue. It’s awesome what you can get on a Bronco from the factory, and I’m looking forward to seeing them in person.

Sponsored

Bronc-itis

Base
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50 (bronco soon)
Your Bronco Model
Base
The FJ is pretty sweet.
FJ, D90, Bronco, Scout, we’re all huge growing up. I’d take any of them today. And they are all great models to bring back. Unlike the defender, they need to stick to the things that made those vehicles bad ass.

Dr.Detroit

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F-150 XLT 150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Toyota USA's YouTube channel released their 4runner vs Bronco comparison video. I was surprised how thorough they were describing the Bronco but of course left out some key features and generally stuck to the base model bronco for comparison. Toyota is doing all they can to drag out their decade old platform. I wouldn't be surprised if we finally see a new 4runner next year after the jolt Bronco put into the industry.

This looks like the 1990s meeting the 2030's toyota need to go back to the drawing board or japan..either one is fine with me.

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
if anyone had a question about a toyota off road vehicle, the tacoma and 4runner are featured in a series called "expedition overland" there is no knocking toyota's quality for their off road vehicles. i am keeping my tacoma after i get my bronco. i fully expect my taco to be around when cockroaches are extinct.. toyota is no joke and their 4.0l v6 is a legitimate quarter million mile engine...
Yeah I saw that and you’re right. There was another reality show something like “Alaska Offroad Warriors”. Six rigs started in southern Alaska and drove off road to Prudohe Bay. Two of the 6 vehicles were 4Runners. They were very capable. One was a POS 4 banger that looked not well maintained. It crapped out on the last day. Was shocked it made it that far. But it was interesting to me how well the 4R’s did in some pretty harsh wheeling conditions.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Seems like they were fair, Toyota has the advantage in towing, interior size and luxiness. Bronco wins for off roadability, versatility. I have no desire for the Toyota.

Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah I saw that and you’re right. There was another reality show something like “Alaska Offroad Warriors”. Six rigs started in southern Alaska and drove off road to Prudohe Bay. Two of the 6 vehicles were 4Runners. They were very capable. One was a POS 4 banger that looked not well maintained. It crapped out on the last day. Was shocked it made it that far. But it was interesting to me how well the 4R’s did in some pretty harsh wheeling conditions.
toyota makes a good product. gas, oil changes, front brake pads, 2 batteries and a second set of tires sum up my maintenance... i forgot, the console latch broke... a $ 16.00 replacement part, it was out of warranty...

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's so interesting how varied comparisons can be.

To me, the 4Runner competes directly with the Grand Cherokee and Defender, not so much directly with the Bronco or Wrangler. I mean obviously as consumers we all have individual use cases for every vehicle we buy so these comparisons do have value, I'm not trying to discount that. It's just that I think it's a bit overly simplistic to make blanket statements like '4Runner is better/worse than Bronco' given how different they are.

All that being said, my personal opinion is the current 4Runner is a 10 year old truck being marketed against modern truck models. It does nothing for me as a result.

Last edited:

Offroadrob

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 TRD PRO, 10 Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Current TRD Pro owner (2019)

I like my 4Runner. It’s easy to live with as a daily driver and good enough off road

But the Bronco is lighter, has 60 more horsepower, gobs more torque, and 5 more forward gears

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you put the same size/type of tires on each vehicle they get pretty close to each other in off-road performance. Tires and associated clearance make a HUGE difference off-road yet seems to get overlooked when comparing angles, sway bars, articulation and new tech, etc. The badlands squatch bronco is definitely a bit better on paper in every measurable category but it's not like you can't wheel like crazy in a proven four runner too.

Folks here aren't going to like this next comment but I believe a Rubicon with 35s is going to go more places than a badsquatch will go and a badsquatch is going more places than a four runner TRD pro on 35s will go. IFS is going to be a real limiting factor in certain extreme rock situations, especially doing it over and over again. Of course very few people wheel like that, so the on-road and high speed improvements of IFS are definitely worth that tradeoff!

All three are great vehicles so choose the one that best fits your lifestyle/needs best.

I personally love that the bronco slots right in between a wrangler and a 4 runner.....it's pretty much a top off, slightly shorter four runner in my mind! Now if Toyota brings back the FJ.....then I may be tempted.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem with Toyotas is that all the switches are on the wrong side. I don't need to start learning a whole new system. I'll be in a rain storm turning on my blinker.
Sponsored