Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After watching this video, I think any of the models that is squatched will do just fine anywhere. I was thinking that I needed a Badlands if I wanted to go out to MOAB or something every few years, but now realize that truly isn't the case. I'll be looking heavily at the Black Diamond now since it comes with full bash plates underneath and steel front and rear bumpers.

Since I'm now a 2022, if prices rise significantly, which I expect they will and I am not price protected, if I have to go as low as the base model, then so be it.
Sponsored

Atomicdog

Base
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is the reality of a stock 4 Runner. Very mild offroading are at it's limit stock. Is what it is...

This video doesn't demonstrate the limits of a 4runner, it demonstrates the limits of taking street tires of that particular trim off road. A Bronco base, Big Bend, or Outer Banks would not fare any better with its stock tires.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The only difference between this rig and a TuRD is stickers, shocks and skidplates. None of which will increase performance in these settings. A 4 Runner and an outer banks are well matched, but the 4 Runner is maxed out there. A Sasquatched Badlands is on a whole nother level. If you were experienced, you would know going from an all season tires to an all terrain will only get you 3' further before both tire pack and they are both slicks.

AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is the reality of a stock 4 Runner. Very mild offroading are at it's limit stock. Is what it is...

I’m confused — you’re citing this video as evidence that a stock 4Runner is NOT a capable vehicle?

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Toyota USA's YouTube channel released their 4runner vs Bronco comparison video. I was surprised how thorough they were describing the Bronco but of course left out some key features and generally stuck to the base model bronco for comparison. Toyota is doing all they can to drag out their decade old platform. I wouldn't be surprised if we finally see a new 4runner next year after the jolt Bronco put into the industry.

When they shxit out a 2 door model I will still be driving the Bronco.

Sponsored

AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The only difference between this rig and a TuRD is stickers, shocks and skidplates. None of which will increase performance in these settings. A 4 Runner and an outer banks are well matched, but the 4 Runner is maxed out there. A Sasquatched Badlands is on a whole nother level. If you were experienced, you would know going from an all season tires to an all terrain will only get you 3' further before both tire pack and they are both slicks.
You didn’t include the most relevant differences between the SR5 in the video and TRD models — rear locker and crawl control, both of which absolutely would have increased performance here.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m confused — you’re citing this video as evidence that a stock 4Runner is NOT a capable vehicle?
Yes, that is correct. This is Bronco sport level, not big Bronco stuff. If this is high level offroading to you, I can understand your confusion.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You didn’t include the most relevant differences between the SR5 in the video and TRD models — rear locker and crawl control, both of which absolutely would have increased performance here.
The trail has locker in rear. This truck sure seemed to have a rear locker to me and camera views conveniently covered that up (ringer?) That still doesn't explain why the 4 Runner looked like a Subaru going up hells gate compared to the Bronco. The claim is the 4 Runner is as capable as the Bronco. Hell's gate videos show apples to apples how inferior the 4 Runner is when the going gets tough.

*Edit* trail control is a novelty and would in no way ever make the difference in a vehicle getting through an obsticle with an experienced driver.

AgentKooper

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The trail has locker in rear. This truck sure seemed to have a rear locker to me and camera views conveniently covered that up (ringer?) That still doesn't explain why the 4 Runner looked like a Subaru going up hells gate compared to the Bronco. The claim is the 4 Runner is as capable as the Bronco. Hell's gate videos show apples to apples how inferior the 4 Runner is when the going gets tough.

*Edit* trail control is a novelty and would in no way ever make the difference in a vehicle getting through an obsticle with an experienced driver.
The Trail edition irrelevant, because that wasn’t what was shown in the video. It may have seemed to you that the SR5 had a locker, but your perception was wrong. Maybe that’s because the vehicle is more capable than you give it credit for. Your claim was about the differences between an SR5 and a TRD, and I explained why you were wrong. The Hell’s Gate videos would be apples to apples if they were the same driver and same spotter in both vehicles. Not going to continue debating with a Bronco fanboy on a Bronco forum. Enjoy your Bronco. I look forward to your Moab videos.

Yodi

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well that did it! Bronco for me

Sponsored

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Trail edition irrelevant, because that wasn’t what was shown in the video. It may have seemed to you that the SR5 had a locker, but your perception was wrong. Maybe that’s because the vehicle is more capable than you give it credit for. Your claim was about the differences between an SR5 and a TRD, and I explained why you were wrong. The Hell’s Gate videos would be apples to apples if they were the same driver and same spotter in both vehicles. Not going to continue debating with a Bronco fanboy on a Bronco forum. Enjoy your Bronco. I look forward to your Moab videos.
Haha, the 4 Runner performed as I would suspect open diff or not in that video. It is as good as anything with the exception of a wrangler or Bronco, but it is not in the same league as a BL SQ Bronco. You Toyota guys are brainwashed by the company and don't know enough to think for yourselves. It's easy to see in the comparison video that the Toyota's suspension is built for the 90% highway. If you go back and read, my comparison you responded to was not originally about toyota packages. Locker or not, offroading is not just about wet grass and dirty hills. You'll always have an excuse, needs better tires, needs a locker, needs a better driver. Even with a better driver the Toyota will become a teeter totter on moderate trails and hike a leg or lose traction and it's game over. I do have lots of experience offroading and know 4 runners and their issues quite well and no one who is honest with themselves could say a stock 4 Runner is anything special. It's not better than a Pathfinder, frontier, ranger, Tacoma, zr2, you name it and they'll all perform the same and stop to watch the bronco crest the peak at sunset.

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Glad to see competition throwing the gauntlet down. Seems like bronco has gotten too much bad press lately and a ton of folks are writing it off with the roof fiasco. 4runners are cool but the Camry engine just never made my balls tingle 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great video here:

Uintafly

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great video here:

Great video. I think that both vehicles are plenty capable of handling what 99% of users will ever use them for. I would love to see a video like this for high speed off roading though. I have a feeling that would really be where the Bronco would shine.
Sponsored