Sponsored

Toyota slashes Sept. global production 40%. A sign of what’s to come?

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

sounds like they are retooling for the new production year. some do that and change things other than production dates for different year models..
Sponsored

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks like my backup plan of getting a 2022 Tacoma TRD Pro may not work out. :(

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 White Ford Bronco (moar door, 7spd, lux)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Without a VIN or build date, I got myself a Taco.
It's a really basic 2021 SR Access Cab with a 4-cylinder. 4WD. Got a three year lease and just hoping I can sell it and get out free-and-clear when I finally get a Bronco.
Funny thing is, I kept on asking my Ford dealer if they'd work with me on a Ranger, and they didn't even invite me in to talk. I ended up getting a vanilla truck with a vanilla lease, and I could have been driving a Ford. There really seems to be a lack of imagination out there these days. I suppose that as a long-time Toyota guy, I know my Taco will hold on to most of its value better than almost anything else, even in the short term.

Sponsored

BeardedBadass

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands 4D/Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can feel the trade-in value on my tacoma to continue going up. Hopefully it will stay that way if my order ever gets built.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here are my 2 theories here and take them for what you will...

Supply side - From what I've heard Toyota seemed like they were one of the least impacted automakers by the chip shortage because they (along with I think Hyundai) were pretty well stocked when it started to hit. This could just be it finally catching up with them if they've been going full speed ahead this whole time while other makers were making less.

Demand side - and this is purely anecdotal, but one of the things that has kind of been ingrained in me over the course of this pandemic (along with a few personal things as well) is that life is short. I've got a Highlander and it's a fantastic and reliable car that I've only had negligible issues with. It's only a 2016, so it's got plenty of life left in it, but (and this could partially be a mid life crisis as I'm 43), but it's just not "Fun". And again JMO, Toyota doesn't really have much in their lineup that ticks the "Fun" Box. Maybe the Supra, but that's just a BMW with a different tag on it. Would the 4runner work just as well as the Bronco in most off road situations, probably, but it's basically a 20 year old design with an engine (that's admittedly pretty bulletproof) that's just as old (plus fixed top), just not as fun. My theory here is that people want a bit more fun in their lives which is pushing people to other manufacturers. Add to that the seeming trend towards full size pickups that I've seen in my neighborhood (where, at least in terms of sales, the Tundra is kind of an also-ran) and it's possible that just overall Toyota demand is going down?
Both theories are plausible.

I know that July 2021 numbers for Tundra were down ~30% and Tacoma were up ~35% over July 2020. So demand for the Tundra is down since the 2022 redesign is right around the corner. The Tacoma is selling like crazy however.

That being said.... Both are built in North America which they didn't comfirm or deny if they were stopping or slowing production in those plants.

That being said... I did email my salesman this morning to ask when my Tacoma build date is and if I will be affected. My guess is not but I'd like to know.

ravenb99

First Edition
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Sequoia
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
2022 Tundra should be pretty interesting, supposedly full release info is 9/19. If the TRD Pro does get the Hybrid Max engine the LC750 is getting that would be interesting.

Owning a Sequoia I agree with the they aren't the funnest but it is nice not having major repairs. And has plenty of room for the long road trips with family.

Original plan was to get the Bronco FE and hold onto the Sequoia. Although trading the Sequoia in on a 2022 TRD Pro and getting a lot more for it is enticing too.

Live right next to our Toyota dealer and see the delivery trucks unload. Can say the last few weeks they've been getting a lot more in. For awhile it was sparse.

Bought a Camry XSE about a month into the pandemic and got for 32k, its worth more than we paid 1.5 years later. Had a chance to get a Rav4 for daughter at 24k and held off as we had a Grand Cherokee we were giving her but maintenance on that has always been an issue. Now can't find a lower end Rav4.

Crazy times.

Taco_Sexual

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just a theory (and probably wrong) but I could see many, if not most, manufacturers cut their production of MY '21 vehicles short so that they can save the chips for MY '22.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now this is a smart, justified and business savvy move that I’m sure all Toyota owners and buyers will under stand. MAP shutting down however…

RIGHT!!!!
I mean, Ford is so well positioned, in the midst of an auto market feeding frenzy,, they are withholding completed vehicles because of "cosmetic" issues any dealer could fix.
Chips, my ass....
😂

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Toyota always seem to be ahead of the curve. The domestic brands claim all is well until last minute.
Are you kidding, because Ford has been hit by the chip shortage and making people aware of it for like a year now.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This article is clearly false.

I have been educated on these digital pages that Ford is to blame and exclusive so for being affected by the realities of global manufacturing.

Perhaps Toyota had poached some of Ford's management and those people did this to Toyota just like they did to Ford because they are secretly flat-earthers? (Spitballing here)

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In other news Holley, Demon, And Edelbrock carb stocks are rising! :ROFLMAO:
Sponsored