First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Last week I ended up with a Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro as a rental to go to the airport. The driving was all in town and on the freeway so no off road. At least on the road I was not impressed with the Tacoma. The main thing that disappointed me was the engine. As soon as I left the rental place and took off I had to give it a lot of throttle to get any meaningful acceleration. It also seemed rather noisy and rough compared to other vehicles with V-6 engines I've driven. My 94 Ranger with the 4.0 V-6 was smoother. On the freeway to the airport there are several hills and I was surprised at how often the Tacoma had to downshift one or two gears just to keep up. The Tacoma/4Runner may be super reliable but it desperately needs a new engine.
Sponsored

mtclimb3r

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is all well known. The engine in the Tacoma is the same as the Toyota Camry. Peak torque is at like 3000 rpm and peak HP is like 4500 or something. I had a manual and it was better than the automatic but just not fun to drive. I sold it and have the money waiting for a Bronco. I also am a skeptic about reliability. WHY is it more reliable? Is the frame thicker? Are the components over built? Nobody seems to know the details, only word of mouth that it’s ‘more reliable’. I had an 03 Tacoma and it required the same maintenance as every other vehicle (new CV boots, ignition coils, ball joints, wheel bearings). The Tacoma is nearly last in every meaningful spec compared to other midsized trucks except for the mythical ‘reliability’.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The engine is old, and the transmission is notoriously bad for hunting gears.

As for reliability, if it breaks down 30% less, but the parts cost 50% more, I'm not sure that's a win.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've owned 3 toyota's, around 500,000 miles combined, and have replaced 3 sets of brake pads a blower fan ($60), and a door cable (warrentied). My F150s has been in the shop about 15 times. If Toyota would've introduced a Gen2 FJ45, I'd be driving that.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The power band in the Tacomas are higher than I'd like and the stock transmission shifting is tuned for efficiency. Downshifting on a hill, not surprized.

Oh, sorry if I doubt but I doubt it was a TRD Pro for a rental. Maybe a TRD Offroad or Sport. The Pro as a rental? Not very likely. Not that it matters much because it is the same engine and transmission.

Sponsored

nhmountainman

Badlands
First Name
Kman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Chevy 2500 Duramax 2018 BMW 340 2016 Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the laugh. I’d drive a Tacoma, 4Runner, Landcruiser around the world and not worry…worried about driving a bronco to the next state. That engine or platform may not be exciting to you, but the machine is one you can trust and proven many times over.

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fr
This is all well known. The engine in the Tacoma is the same as the Toyota Camry. Peak torque is at like 3000 rpm and peak HP is like 4500 or something. I had a manual and it was better than the automatic but just not fun to drive. I sold it and have the money waiting for a Bronco. I also am a skeptic about reliability. WHY is it more reliable? Is the frame thicker? Are the components over built? Nobody seems to know the details, only word of mouth that it’s ‘more reliable’. I had an 03 Tacoma and it required the same maintenance as every other vehicle (new CV boots, ignition coils, ball joints, wheel bearings). The Tacoma is nearly last in every meaningful spec compared to other midsized trucks except for the mythical ‘reliability’.
My understanding is that it is the manufacturing tolerances, qc, and procedures that make for Toyotas reliability. I’ve had multiple Toyota trucks, with hundreds of thousands of miles, and the reliability thing is real. That said, I’m driving a bronco now. Thats all toyota had going for it. Out dated and ugly designs, severely underpowered, poor mpgs, lack of options, and expensive parts… not that you’ll need many. I love old toyota trucks, but I wanted something fun. So far I’m more than happy with my choice.

TheMostToysWins

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma Off Road,
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for the laugh. I’d drive a Tacoma, 4Runner, Landcruiser around the world and not worry…worried about driving a bronco to the next state. That engine or platform may not be exciting to you, but the machine is one you can trust and proven many times over.
Amen. I towed an Rv for years with my 2018 Trd off road. Thousands of miles without any issue at all. So what if the trans has trouble finding the right gear, it managed just fine in the mountains of Tn.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

One of my kids has two RAV4 TRD’s. Nothing to look at and uninspiring to drive but they have 100 miles per day to drive and put several hundred thousand miles on their vehicle’s before the next ones. They seem to get great mileage as long as you don’t try to tow with them. They do them and I do me. It’s their money and choice.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
I had the same experience with a Tacoma rental earlier this year in Bentonville AR. At one point I had to lift the hood to confirm it had the V6 and not the I4. Also felt the interior was tiny for how big the exterior is. It may be reliable but there is no way I would buy one.

Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
One of my kids has two RAV4 TRD’s. Nothing to look at and uninspiring to drive but they have 100 miles per day to drive and put several hundred thousand miles on their vehicle’s before the next ones. They seem to get great mileage as long as you don’t try to tow with them. They do them and I do me. It’s their money and choice.
I was in a RAV4 XLE this week flying back from DFW and really enjoyed the ride, smooth and quiet. Have no complaints about the Camry either, it doesn't pretend to be more than what it is, simple reliable and comfortable transportation.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

stonerdoom

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed. I rented one not too long ago and I was excited to drive this thing for a day and a half because it could have been a Bronco escape plan (850+ days waiting so far). Well, I'm not that big of a car guy/engine nerd but I found this truck to be "squishy" off the line. I don't know if that is the right adjective but that is the word that came to my mind driving this thing. Beyond that, the truck was very nice. But it was squishy. Had no pep in it's step.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But... They rust in half....literally.
How can they be so reliable when they can't even forsee frame corrosion/breakage from poor design?
Gutless, inefficient engine, 5 speed automatic transmission, TRD sticker package (because c'mon, TRD doesn't mean shit).
I'll be looking forward to seeing the next gen truck, but I'm tired of waiting (not that I'm interested at all.... I'm not)