Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Other family members have had major reliability with Toyota's. Fuel pump failures while driving, bad power door latch that ends up destroying a $2500 van power door (but hey Toyota said the $125 part that killed the door was reimbursable), etc.
bad power door latch that ends up destroying a $2500 van power door

My experience, too. I had a 2009 Sienna XLE/AWD/Ltd that I loved (except for the run-flats). "If Toyota put their Lexus mark on a minivan, this would be it," I bragged. I was at 200K miles, and the drivetrain and most systems were good to go, having replaced only a starter and a radiator, (Plus power fold-in mirrors, hit & run damage). Then the power doors went. I was looking at about $2200 to fix them both (after $1800 out-of-pocket on the mirrors)--on a car with about $3500-4000 trade in value.
That's when I decided to call it quits when a Ford dealer contacted me about a Badlands/Lux/Sas/4Dr/HT. I paid an obscene ADM on it, but at 75 years old, I figured, "Why not? It's my 2nd adolescence!"
No regrets.
Sponsored

jbellousux

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘13 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any individual car can be reliable or a POS. I’ll give my opinion based on having driven pretty much everything, as the son of a used car dealer, and 63 years under my belt.

If you’re playing the odds, a Toyota is less likely to strand you than other makes but will cost more. You’ll be able to drive it longer before it falls apart. They’re not very sexy, but they’ll have higher resale value. Honda and Subaru are probably more reliable than Nissan or Mazda.

If you want sexy and expensive, and much less reliable on balance, buy European. They’re also the hardest to work on. Owning a European car with an expired warranty is a rich man’s or fool’s game.

American cars are usually cheaper than Toyotas and certainly than European cars. On balance they may or may not be more reliable than European cars, but they’re a helluva lot cheaper to work on.

Korean cars have become the cockroaches of American roads. They’re everywhere and they’re annoying.