Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2016 Ford F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I do like Toyotas for their reliability. I had an 05 Tacoma for seven years. Never gave me any issues. Two ford trucks later and the experience hasn’t been bad at all. About to win my third ford in a Bronco. I like ford trucks because I think they’re cool. The 3.5 in the Tacoma is pretty sluggish but the trade off is reliability. I wish they had stuck with the 4.0 in the Tacoma like they have in the 4 runner. It was the same engine that was in my 05 Tacoma. Only real knock I have for Toyota is they are so slow to change. The current Tacoma has been using the same base platform since 2005MY. The current 4Runner has been the same since 2010MY. There’s not much incentive for Toyota to do introduce redesigns though since the sales are so strong. I think 4Runner sales have increased pretty much every year.
<strike>strikethough?</strike>
Sponsored

Last edited:

BlueOvalBandit

Badlands
First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They're reliable because they had nearly 20 years to refine the engine and the powertrain.... it's been small incremental improvements on a Gen 2.

I had an 05 which I bought new and traded for my Bronco. It's throw out bearing made noise until you pushed the clutch (you know the thing people complain about in the Bronco), fried the blower fan electrical connection twice, had the battery hold down fail and dump battery acid on the engine accessories, which then sprayed everything in the engine bay, list of annoyances goes on. Luckily I didn't have a bad clutch like other 05 owners or have the fan resistor melt.

But did it leave me stranded? Only when the battery died. But then again the only tech in this thing was a CD player...

Other family members have had major reliability with Toyota's. Fuel pump failures while driving, bad power door latch that ends up destroying a $2500 van power door (but hey Toyota said the $125 part that killed the door was reimbursable), etc.

OP
OP
MLRey

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The power band in the Tacomas are higher than I'd like and the stock transmission shifting is tuned for efficiency. Downshifting on a hill, not surprized.

Oh, sorry if I doubt but I doubt it was a TRD Pro for a rental. Maybe a TRD Offroad or Sport. The Pro as a rental? Not very likely. Not that it matters much because it is the same engine and transmission.
Maybe it was the TR Offroad? But I was pretty sure it had a TRD Pro sticker on the bed, TRD something in any case. I was so surprised by the lackluster performance I looked under the hood to make sure what engine it had. Given the sluggish performance I thought maybe it was a 4-cylinder but it was definitely the V-6. The Honda Pilot we used to have with a 3.5L V-6 was much more responsive and smoother. The last time I'd driven a Toyota truck was in the 80's so I was expecting a bit more.

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe it was the TR Offroad? But I was pretty sure it had a TRD Pro sticker on the bed, TRD something in any case. I was so surprised by the lackluster performance I looked under the hood to make sure what engine it had. Given the sluggish performance I thought maybe it was a 4-cylinder but it was definitely the V-6. The Honda Pilot we used to have with a 3.5L V-6 was much more responsive and smoother. The last time I'd driven a Toyota truck was in the 80's so I was expecting a bit more.
Did it have a 'skewp' on the hood and shiny wheels? Then it was a 'TRD Sport'. In any case, all the turd gen Tacos drive about the same. I was set to buy a TRD Off Road with the manual transmission, but on the test drive I was astounded by how bad the powertrain/chassis were (the ergos of the 6MT were awful, but at least you could keep that minivan engine in its powerband with the manual).

Newer Toyotas are getting competitive again; we have a 2021 Sienna, which is a near-perfect minivan in my opinion (AWD, 34 mpg, comfortable, drives well, etc.) By all accounts the new Tundra and Sequoia may not be class leaders, but they at least attempt to compete. So I expect the next-gen 4Runner and Taco will not feel obsolete at launch like the turd gen Taco did. I expect both will come standard with turbocharged engines, which will fix the weakest element of the current Taco.

Last edited:

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Heard an OV Tune (Orange Virus) wakes em up

Considering a Taco in the future for a commercial work truck, keep my girl but use that for going to jobs and stuff, also #SaveTheManuals

Sponsored

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used to have a '12 TRD offroad. The 4.0 wasn't the strongest engine, but you could flog it like it was a diesel. We had a popup camper that weighed nearly 4k fully loaded, and I never thought twice about mashing the skinny pedal all the way up the climbs to Flagstaff or Payson. Would only be able to pass semi trucks though.

Off road, it was a little mountain goat. Would go just about anywhere considering the stock 31" tire size.

Had a 4dr with the 4cyl (2020 or so) as a loaner last time the Bronco was at the dealer. I'd call it a dog, but that would be an insult to dogs. My house is on the side of a hill, so my driveway is quite steep. The loaner Taco only managed to get just above 15mph on the way up when completely floored. The Bronco can hit 35 before I get nervous about the garage door coming up so fast!

I'm pretty sure Toyota de-tunes their engines in order to get more longevity out of the drive trains.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

my dad has a 20 or 21 Tacoma TRD Pro and his biggest complaint is the lack of power/transmission. Loves the truck for everything else. He lives up in PA and says the 4 wheel drive makes the snow inconsequential. Reliable trucks, but definitely lack in the power.

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not so much a far cry from today's Tacoma - my 2010 TRD Sport is still going strong at 168,000.

I agree with everything negative said about Tacomas. I also agree with everything positive that has been said about them.

I was "handed" down the Taco after 119k miles and was gifted the opportunity to deal with Toyota via the frame recall. At first, they told me that the frame could be saved and they were going to spot treat the visible spots and rust protect the frame from future damage.

Fast forward 4 months and when I took it in for warranty work the frame was too severely damaged to repair. I truly believe this was a tactic by Toyota and/or the dealership who knew all along it was too damaged to be replaced. On the spot they immediately offered me $7,500 more than the value of the truck to get me into a new Tacoma OR I could have the frame replaced....

"It's paid off. I'll just have the frame replaced" $10,000 over trade in value for a new taco.....

"It's paid off. I'll just have the frame replaced" "$12,500 over trade in value for a new taco......

*Not my Taco there - but that is exactly what they did to replace my frame.

Unfortunately - they jacked up the price of ALL tacoma replacement parts because I asked if I could replacement wear components that had to removed and they gleefully informed me I could but they had to be Toyota genuine parts.

No problem I thought. WRONG. Across ALL toyota dealers and parts suppliers the prices were bonkers high for a 2010 so no wear parts were replaced.

Had to have it back a few times for them to correct steering and I got a free tierod out of the deal.

Probably drive that truck for another 20 years.

Luckylat

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Expedition, 2013 VW Wagon, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We have owned both several Toyotas & several Fords. With 5 kids we try to keep our card going asl long as possible. Our experience: 1999 Ford Expedition at 201,000 miles still running. 2004 Toyota 4Runner frame rusted out at 160,000 and Toyota Mfg. could care less. We had to sell it for parts. IMO Toyota's reliability is overrated and maintaining our Fords has been more economical with ongoing repairs.

wedemmoez

Badlands
First Name
Moez
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I work for Toyota Motors North America and got my 2020 Tacoma TRD Off Road for basically free in 2020. Its a fantastic truck and I really enjoyed it for the ~18 months I had it.

Everyone here is right that its slow and the transmission sucks, but it was BULLETPROOF. I towed my racecar Miata all over the country with the Tacoma, I've taken it off roading and camping for weeks at a time, and I never had an issue. I put ~60k miles on that car in 18 months.

In one year of owning the Bronco, I've had 3 random electrical failures that left me stranded on the side of a highway, and the dealerships have no idea what is causing them.

Since I still work for TMNA, I'm heavily considering ordering a TRD Pro Tundra and selling the Bronco.

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have in the past owned many Toyota pick ups- 80's and 90's. When they introduced the one in 2005- which pretty much resembles the one today, I never liked them after that. The 80's and 90's pick ups were great I thought. I test drive one in 2018 when I was shopping for a truck. I drove a TRD PRO. Geez I did not even fit. I'm 6'0", long legs with a 34" inseam. By the time I got the seat back far enough I was too from the steering wheel. The steering wheel telescoped- only what seems like 1/2 or 3/4" not nearly enough for me. After that test drive, never looked back.

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like many here there isn't a Toyota 4WD vehicle I haven't owned. A lot of good memories and road trips in my 2012 Tacoma. I was very skeptical of the 3.5 motor and looking back I'm glad I didn't buy the newest generation Tacoma. I was concerned that it was a modern day version of the 3. slow in my older 4Runner. 100% agree with the bullet proof reliability.

I am almost 1 year with my 2dr 2.7 Badlands with the LUX package. Honestly..... I have never had so much fun driving around in this short wheelbase vehicle with all the power.

I just hope it lasts.

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am currently driving a '94 xtra cab toyota pickup. Pre tacoma, with a 22RE and 320,000 miles on it. I get in turn the key, it starts and it goes wherever I want it to go. I bought it brand new and I have had ZERO issues with it. It has never left me stranded a single time ever. I am driving it because I sold my 2020 CX5 and I am waiting for Ford to pull its collective head out of its a$$ so I can order a bronco.

Sadly though, I will probably be hitting 500k in the old toyota before ford gets their shit together.