Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had some time on my hands as I isolate with my dogs at my cabin after Covid exposure (my wife tested positive and is in quarantine at our house). I had perfect conditions to test the traction control and drive modes in my F150, trying to understand how the Bronco will be similar and different. I have the 2.7, 3.55 10sp SuperCrew 4x4. I spent about two hours on two tracks and forest roads, covered with about a foot of dry snow. Enough to make me concerned about getting too far off trail, but I never needed to dig out or use my traction boards. I tried all modes. 2wd. 2wd rear locked, 2wd rear locked snow/slippery mode engaged all the way to 2wd Sport and everything in between (locked 4wd, all modes etc.) Bottom line, the electronics don’t replace the mechanical advantage of the locker of 4wd, but the combination of electronic aids and mechanical advantage produced results I could not duplicate myself. At 51 years old I could still mess around with my truck (car, motorcycle, boat, whatever) indefinitely and never tire of it. I hope we get some additional details on the modes and how they work/when to employ them.
Ford Bronco Traction Control and GOAT modes 1612751001505

Ford Bronco Traction Control and GOAT modes 1612751072748

The videos from KOH got me interested in the modes. Anyone else use their electronics and have suggestions or experience? I think they are finally getting good enough to exceed my skill (not the best driver, just have some experience and skill that seems better than the electronics in certain scenarios) in some situations!
Sponsored

Last edited:

PaBronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon, 2022 F-150 Lightning Pro
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was doing the same thing a few days ago. Not a test per se, but I did not want to get stuck at our camp, so I tested a few modes. We had a foot of snow.
4wd H with traction control disengaged did well even going up grades .4A, not so good in deep snow, especially going up a slight grade.
I found that 4H with locker engaged worked best under most conditions. If I start to slip a little, I use 4L with manual mode, first gear

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
good luck with your wife & have fun spoiling the pups

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am really looking forward to taking the Bronco back to Colorado and running Red Cone Pass. I have hill descent in my Xterra and it worked well for the most part, only had one momentary lock up that got us wee sideways, throttled out. I've seen a Jeep JL's hill descent control and no f'in way would I use that on Red Cone pass. Pretty confident it would lock up and a 5,000ft tomahawk yardsale roll would ensue. Red Cone pass is without a doubt the bar for hill descent control in my opinion. Oh here's a picture that doesn't do justice, plenty of rollovers here though.
Ford Bronco Traction Control and GOAT modes IMG_3921.JPG
Sponsored

Reactions: abe