First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hello B6G Hivemind, I invoke thy collective wisdom...

Purpose of Bronco: DD + family adventuremobile in the CA Sierra. (Family is 2 parental units + 2 hyperactive squeaky wheels under 5). Explore and camp where there are less people
Experience with Bronco: Las Vegas Off Roadeo, BL Mid SAS
Pep peeves: missing buttons (ie no stas-disco), weird bezels (8 in)
Commute: 46 mi roundtrip. Highway speeds in, 50/50 highway/surface streets on the way back
Current spec: BL 2.7 Mid MIC Tow WheelUpgrade

MPG difference between Base BL vs BL Sas is +1 mpg Highway for the non-Sas version.

Pros for Each
Sas gives you that really nice stance, better ground clearance. Better axles
Lux setup would give heated steering wheel (nice to have on 32 degree morning to work), better sound system, ACC, garage opener

Cons for each
Sas set up should suck more gas. more difficult for the littles to get in. longer breaking distance?
Lux setup has more tech to break. More cost to fix windshield when radar need to be recalibrated for worn tires (happened with our Atlas)

First world problem: For the stated use case what makes most sense BL Lux Non-Sas vs BL High SAS

I appreciate your input, thanks!

A couple of notes here....
1. I do like the look of the SAS better, but I don't think it's that noticeable between standard BL and SAS UNLESS you're actually parked next to a Bronco with SAS...I plan to just never park next to one.
2. I'm going lux because I'm addicted to ACC, and ultimately I'm sure I'd replace enough on the stereo to rack up $1,000 easy, having to go Lux to get the heated SW is ridiculous, but here we are.
3. Just a note on the one con you've got for the Lux...yes more tech = more to break, but the specific one you noted wouldn't be applicable. If I'm not mistaken, Mid and up still has that same radar in the windshield as the Lux, it's just that in Mid it's just for lane keep assist and emergency braking....if the windshield breaks you're still paying for this (although now that I read your comment again are you saying that the radar had to be recalibrated because the tires were worn or was that because of a broken windshield?
4. SAS vs BL standard is supposedly only 1 MPG difference, so that's fairly negligible.
Sponsored

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Between those two choices and for your uses based on that post, BL Lux

But considering it's not that much more to add SAS to the BL, I vote for BL Lux SAS
Unfortunately it's a lot more than it used to be. I think it was a mere $2,500 last year but per this year's build and price it's $4,090 (unless B&P is broken, I don't know that I've heard from anyone who actually ordered it this year).

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4. SAS vs BL standard is supposedly only 1 MPG difference, so that's fairly negligible.
Hell, on the 2.3L, the Badlands supposedly has better mileage with Sasquatch.

Really any configuration of Badlands is a total brick. Not a whole lot of difference mileage wise whatever you do, whether SAS vs. non-SAS, 2.3L vs 2.7L, 2D vs. 4D.

balucipher

Big Bend
First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Unfortunately it's a lot more than it used to be. I think it was a mere $2,500 last year but per this year's build and price it's $4,090 (unless B&P is broken, I don't know that I've heard from anyone who actually ordered it this year).
It's $4090 but includes a free automatic transmission which was a separate charge before.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lainez

Lainez

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Atlas, F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please clarify for me the radar comment. Is the ACC sensors not in the front bumper? is it for lane change correction or whatever that is in the windshield that you are talking about? Sorry my newest vehicle is my '14 Rubicon.

This was information from the Atlas Owners group. When the windshield was repaired, the ACC had to be recalibrated. It's one of the reasons I have not replaced our chipped windshield. I think it may be an infrared sensor. The radar is incorporated into the VW badge.
When our tires were were worn (not bare), the ACC sensor sopped working. Dealer said it happens some times as the angle of the sensor in relation to the ground gets out of spec.

Atlas ACC also stops working completely if the radar shows a fault. It will not lock into basic cruise control. It's pretty annoying when you are 100 miles into a 700 mile trip.

ogo

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So was playing around with the B&P myself and when I removed the Sasquatch package from my build, it dropped the price by $2500 roughly since I already had the 2.7 and auto selected. The 4.7 gears are available for all models (according to B&P info, take that for what you will).
As I don't plan on replacing the tires until they wear out, the $2500 price difference is basically the cost of good tires (a set of 35" tires is roughly $1500-$2000 last time I checked, again I could be off).

I opted to go with BL|2.7L|SAS|LUX for a few reasons myself. 1. I drive vehicles till the wheels fall off or repairs are more than the worth of the vehicle <10+ years> 2. This will be my first brand new no previous owner vehicle and while I don't NEED the extra options, I want them and more importantly, can afford them :)

My plan for my Bronco is that it'll be a daily driver, but also will be hitting the trails around NC and other states. I also want to do some overlanding and visit some parks / trails out west....potentially. Basically it won't be a trailer queen and will see some dirt...at least that is the plan :)

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This was information from the Atlas Owners group. When the windshield was repaired, the ACC had to be recalibrated. It's one of the reasons I have not replaced our chipped windshield. I think it may be an infrared sensor. The radar is incorporated into the VW badge.
When our tires were were worn (not bare), the ACC sensor sopped working. Dealer said it happens some times as the angle of the sensor in relation to the ground gets out of spec.

Atlas ACC also stops working completely if the radar shows a fault. It will not lock into basic cruise control. It's pretty annoying when you are 100 miles into a 700 mile trip.
My Atlas made it to 1st oil change before the fuel pump went out. Dealing with VW warranty pissed me off so much that it never made back home. Traded for an Explorer ST on the way home after repaired.

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Out of curiosity...I do like the look of the optional wheels, but is there something about the BL stock wheels that would preclude upsizing the tires on those? Aren't they both the same size?
Same size. I just think they look better than any other wheel offered. You could fit a larger tire but you'd just have to limit the width of the tire and possibly remove the crash bars.

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's $4090 but includes a free automatic transmission which was a separate charge before.
That makes so much more sense, so if I’m going sas from BL and already getting the auto is it still effectively the same as it was?

Sponsored

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hell, on the 2.3L, the Badlands supposedly has better mileage with Sasquatch.

Really any configuration of Badlands is a total brick. Not a whole lot of difference mileage wise whatever you do, whether SAS vs. non-SAS, 2.3L vs 2.7L, 2D vs. 4D.
Agreed, really anything with bigger tires than an OBX basically has about the same mpg.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Every time I see a lifted Wrangler on huge tires my first thought is "yeah those tires never get mud on them" and if that is the situation I would stick with 32" rubber. The Bronco does not look that out of its element with 35s as does a Wrangler but it has that Pontiac Wide Track going for it and a wider personnel compartment. Check ALL the specs, however, I thought I read when you go SAS your tires carry a lower gross weight capacity and thus the reason for certain options unavailable with certain builds.

I have only put 600 admittedly highway miles on my OBX/Lux w32" and have averaged a full 18.8 mpg and I expect it to go up as it only started out at 17.3 based on the factory 19 miles

telenerd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m getting the Badlands High package for the front and rear camera and big screen. Don’t need the additional on road features that Lux offers and not worth the additional sensor headaches of when I need windshield replaced. Unless I am wrong on that?

I’m also getting Sasquatch, because the cool Sasquatch sticker. :)

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The BL is already set up for heavy off roading . The suspension and 33 inch tires will provide outstanding terrain capability as well as terrific looking stance. The vast majority of your use will be everyday mundane driving, so the interior creature comforts take center stage. I am a two door enthusiast, however I inspected a four door BL in Rapid Red non SAS, in Lux, at my local dealer this afternoon and it was sweet. I would have to go with SAS with any other Bronco model, but not the BL.
Sponsored