Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi q7 and GMC Denali
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hi Guys,

Is there a Standard "trail and vehicle rating system" that matches stock off-road vehicles of all types up with the technical requirements of trails?

For instance - Stock Bronco will handle a level 7 trail or Stock Bronco with Sasquatch Package will handle a level 8 trail.

Thanks,

Geoff

Tha
Sponsored

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My opinion:
Stock Bronco = 6
Bronco on 33's with rear locker = 6 - 7 (might need winch assist on 7 obstacles)
Bronco Sasquatch = 7

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There's nothing that is standardized across all areas/vehicles/etc., that I am aware of. But many different trail management organizations (BLM, USFS, state parks departments, off-road clubs, online trail curating services, guide book writers, etc.) have their own trail rating systems, some of which are similar to others.

I've always thought that the problem with trail rating systems, and in general questions like "can this vehicle handle such-and-such trail" is that they don't take into account the characteristics of the actual driver. A Badlands Sasquatch has the tools to tackle just about any trail, but in the hands of an inexperienced driver that can be a dangerous proposition.

Driver skill and risk tolerance factor in just as much, if not more, than the vehicle's specifications when it comes to determining what trails you can and can't do.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Similar to what @Dusty mentioned - Nobody will say XX vehicle will tackle XX trail. You can have a fully modded, top of the line off-roader and get it stuck, rolled, etc. There’s probably some liability nobody wants to get hung up with.

Sponsored

Bender

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Driver skill and risk tolerance factor in just as much, if not more, than the vehicle's specifications when it comes to determining what trails you can and can't do.
Agreed. Folks tend to overestimate the role of the equipment relative to the role of the user. Same is true for skis, mountain bikes, race replica motor cycles, etc.

Not to mention that Ford's legal team wouldn't want to sign off on any kind of rating. It was probably hard enough for Jeep's legal team to allow them to use the term "Trail Rated"

OP
OP

gm61

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi q7 and GMC Denali
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Agreed about the experience of the driver. Just looking for comparisons between vehicles give equal driver skills.

Such as Bronco Base, Bronco Sasquatch, Ford 15 Tremor, Jeep Rubicon, ect...

Geoff

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Agreed about the experience of the driver. Just looking for comparisons between vehicles give equal driver skills.

Such as Bronco Base, Bronco Sasquatch, Ford 15 Tremor, Jeep Rubicon, ect...

Geoff
No, I haven't seen anything like that, that actually specifies vehicle models and trim levels. A list like that would be a bear to curate.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There's nothing that is standardized across all areas/vehicles/etc., that I am aware of. But many different trail management organizations (BLM, USFS, state parks departments, off-road clubs, online trail curating services, guide book writers, etc.) have their own trail rating systems, some of which are similar to others.

I've always thought that the problem with trail rating systems, and in general questions like "can this vehicle handle such-and-such trail" is that they don't take into account the characteristics of the actual driver. A Badlands Sasquatch has the tools to tackle just about any trail, but in the hands of an inexperienced driver that can be a dangerous proposition.

Right!! Some people can't even manage a parking lot without damaging something. No matter what they drive. 😜

OP
OP

gm61

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi q7 and GMC Denali
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I appreciate all the input.

From the trails rating link provide by BC Overlanding (see link below) I am never going to go above level 6. Do I need the Sasquatch package or will one of the lower trim levels work? Do I need a rear and front locker or just rear locker. I am just trying to buy the correct vehicle. Your input is appreciated. This is going to be my daily driver also, will the 35" tires in the Sasquatch Package make a rough ride on pavement? Will the Sasquatch Package make a lot smooth ride off road even if I am going to only level 6?

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/technical-ratings

Thanks again,

Geoff

Sponsored

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I appreciate all the input.

From the trails rating link provide by BC Overlanding (see link below) I am never going to go above level 6. Do I need the Sasquatch package or will one of the lower trim levels work? Do I need a rear and front locker or just rear locker. I am just trying to buy the correct vehicle. Your input is appreciated. This is going to be my daily driver also, will the 35" tires in the Sasquatch Package make a rough ride on pavement? Will the Sasquatch Package make a lot smooth ride off road even if I am going to only level 6?

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/technical-ratings

Thanks again,

Geoff
I can tell you a good thing to do is youtube off road videos. especially ones of trails you are thinking of doing. We are lucky that most well known trails these days have videos of different types of vehicles on them. You can also join a local off road group on FB near you, usually some seasoned off roaders in those groups that can tell you what the minimum vehicle requirements for certain trails are.

There are many variables such as weather ( wet or dry time of year) Tires (all weather vs mus terrains) all play into the ability to tackle a certain trail. Its always good to have to much truck than not enough though.

In recent years Ive daily drove a power wagon on 37s and a jeep on 35s..... most really good off road tires are light years ahead of what they were a few decades ago as far as driva-ability. Its a trade off ...how far you drive every day...how much you will off road.

The Bronco with IFS will be one of the better commuting vehicles, regardless.

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The above posts are on point!!! But, its a slow day for me (airport delays). Thought i should include another variable...

4 door vs. 2 door wheel base = 4dr more likely to bottom out / get high sided (speed bump or curb).

Team 2 Door = Not so much, bcuz they are Badass!!!! LOL

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Its always good to have too much truck than not enough though.
That's exactly why I got the most off-road capable version of the Bronco that I could - I want it to be better than anywhere I'm willing to take it.

Still, less than a week ago I tried going up a road in the mountains that was deep slush, needing to switch to 4L and lockers front and rear to continue up it and came close to getting stuck anyway before thinking better of it and turning around.

palley6

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's another rating system that may or may not be the same, for the trails around Moab, Utah:

https://www.cruisemoab.com/trail-ratings/

Personally, I plan to stick to rating 4 and below to keep from scraping up my Bronco. Maybe an occasional 5.
Ive taken my Bronco on Fins n Things and the fact that its a 4 perfectly summarizes this entire debate. Yes - the Bronco handled it flawlessly, but it felt much harder than a 4/10 when I drove it.

I followed a clapped out rig and took more aggressive lines, so it comes down to driver experience and confidence in my opinion. For the guy in that rig it probably was a 3/4, for me it felt like a 5/6.
Sponsored