Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I appreciate all the input.

From the trails rating link provide by BC Overlanding (see link below) I am never going to go above level 6. Do I need the Sasquatch package or will one of the lower trim levels work? Do I need a rear and front locker or just rear locker. I am just trying to buy the correct vehicle. Your input is appreciated. This is going to be my daily driver also, will the 35" tires in the Sasquatch Package make a rough ride on pavement? Will the Sasquatch Package make a lot smooth ride off road even if I am going to only level 6?

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/technical-ratings

Thanks again,

Geoff
As the guy who famously tells everyone "you don't need lockers to yada yada yada", if I were you I would go ahead and get as much capability as you can reasonably afford, as factory equipment. Sure, I can and have bombed my stripper Base model through some pretty tough trails it shouldn't really have been on. But I'm a fairly experienced off-roader and know those trails well, and always go with well-equipped friends. If you're new, at first I think you'll be leaning more on the equipment than skill, although over time that will flip.

The other thing to consider is that you really aren't in a good position to judge just how hard of trails you're going to want to be able to tackle in the future. If you've never done much of it, you don't really know what to expect. You may (and probably will) find out that you love the challenge and find yourself seeking out more challenging trails and obstacles. At that point those lockers and other goodies will come in handy even if you don't think you need them now. And it's cheaper to add them now than later.

That said, if you're on a tight budget, with a little determination you can get a Base-non-Squatch through just about anything :)
Sponsored

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2017 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My opinion:
Stock Bronco = 6
Bronco on 33's with rear locker = 6 - 7 (might need winch assist on 7 obstacles)
Bronco Sasquatch = 7
We ran a 7 with stock Badlands Sasquatch down at Sand Hollow.

Thrash Metash

Base
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ive taken my Bronco on Fins n Things and the fact that its a 4 perfectly summarizes this entire debate. Yes - the Bronco handled it flawlessly, but it felt much harder than a 4/10 when I drove it.

I followed a clapped out rig and took more aggressive lines, so it comes down to driver experience and confidence in my opinion. For the guy in that rig it probably was a 3/4, for me it felt like a 5/6.
Some sites have Fins n Things rates as a 5 which I agree with:
Fins & Things 4×4 Trail | Grand County, UT - Official Website (grandcountyutah.net)
this one a 4-6
Fins and Things - Utah Offroad Trail (trailsoffroad.com)

My family had a blast on this trail and perfectly explains why I wanted the Bronco in the first place.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
... This is going to be my daily driver also, will the 35" tires in the Sasquatch Package make a rough ride on pavement? Will the Sasquatch Package make a lot smooth ride off road even if I am going to only level 6?
Broadly speaking an off road tuned suspension will be significantly softer, not harder, than the standard setup for that vehicle. This will mean it is a "smoother" ride in general, but may be more prone to things like body roll that make it harder to control under adverse high speed conditions like avoiding a deer on the highway.

BC overlanding

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I appreciate all the input.

From the trails rating link provide by BC Overlanding (see link below) I am never going to go above level 6. Do I need the Sasquatch package or will one of the lower trim levels work? Do I need a rear and front locker or just rear locker. I am just trying to buy the correct vehicle. Your input is appreciated. This is going to be my daily driver also, will the 35" tires in the Sasquatch Package make a rough ride on pavement? Will the Sasquatch Package make a lot smooth ride off road even if I am going to only level 6?

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/technical-ratings

Thanks again,

Geoff
If you got the money get the highest most capable Bronco you can. If like me and almost everyone you will run 4/5's then 6's then dip your toes into a 7's and so on, its addictive and the older your vehicle gets then more you will do with it. Better to have lockers and not need them then not have them, and they are expensive to add beside the other coo little extras you get with Badlands w/SAS model
Moab is a completely different beast. Same people the rate CO rate UT and I have done solid 7's in CO that where easier then 4/5's in Moab
If you do watch videos keep in mind 2 things
1. They will be titled ran Hells Gate which in reality they ran Hells revenge and took the by pass of Hells gate. Hells revenge is a 6/8 with 3 obstacles making it a 8 the rest is pretty easy I wouldn't even put it at a 6
2. The person is being spotted by someone that has crazy Moab knowledge and could spot a 14 year old up a 8 ie a guy drove a KIA up Hells gate but he was a professional driver being spotted by the guy that pretty much founded off road in Moab.
Sponsored