Sponsored

Trail Apps - new Bronco app or OnX Offroad?

Adrenalista

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting on Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I just saw the email from Ford announcing their new Bronco Trail app. I’ve been looking forward to this coming out!!

There is another app I’ve been eyeing. It’s called OnX Offroad. I’ve used their app OnX Hunt and was impressed with that. Would love to get feedback from anyone that has tried the Trail version. Bonus points to them for featuring a Bronco on it!! Pic of their App Store preview page
Ford Bronco Trail Apps - new Bronco app or OnX Offroad? IMG_4107
Sponsored

Last edited:

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are two major off-road apps available:
  • onX Offroad
  • Gaia GPS
The nice thing about Gaia is you can get 4x4 trails, hiking trails, skiing trails, biking trails, etc. all with one subscription. OnX Offroad is only for off-roading. They have a completely separate app with different subscription fee for hiking/skiing/biking called onX Backcountry.

But beyond that, which you prefer is a personal opinion sorta thing. I will say onX Offroad seems to have the most momentum in the off-road community these days, but both are solid.

---

The Bronco Trail app is brand new, a little buggy, and simply isn't as feature-filled as onX or Gaia. BUT... unlike onX or Gaia, it's free and has some nifty integrations with your Bronco.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't think that you necessarily have to be fast and hard on a single app. The Bronco app as stated is useful but limited and buggy. I think that the biggest downside to the Bronco app is the inability to flag trails as closed.

I think Gaia is the one most people tend to go with.

Unless you for some reason have to choose I would just get the Bronco app plus on of the others.

vbrad26

Outer Banks
First Name
Vance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW's and now a Ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have all 3.
Gaia, OnX, and Bronco app.
The one I use the most is Gaia - but only because it is the one I'm most familiar with,
Get all of them, use all of them, figure out which one you like best.

22Badskwatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve tried Gaia and ONX. I absolutely prefer ONX. It’s much easier to use. I canceled my Gaia subscription. The bronco app is ok but buggy, and nowhere near as in depth as ONX.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use OnX Offroad and like it; it's definitely been used. It does have two tiers, public and public + private. I have the public only version; they run sales on the elite level, so you might look out for that (I think there's also a tie-in with Tread Lightly and Bronco Nation for a discount).

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have both, and I have neither

Well kinda

I have OnX hunt which I like, but is not supported by AA, you need OnX Off Road. I'll be damned if I going to send them another $100 a yr, and BTW Get off my lawn.

I have the Bronco Trail App which I initially liked, but now can't get it to work, some circular reasoning warning comes up and I have no patience with tech and BTW why can't we just have roll up windows?

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve found onXoffroad to be easier to get used to than Gaia was, but some things such as knowing what roads are open/closed and trail ratings being up to the consensus of many has me wondering if I should try and get used to Gaia.

i have found that I like the way onXoffroad shows it’s information and how everything looks - Gaia confused me, but after watching several in-depth videos on it, I’m kind of wanting to try it again

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The new Bronco Trail App is an infant right now, so there are some growing pains.

Good thing is that it shows you trails in your area, but I‘ve noticed not everywhere is filled out. For example, there are a ton of trails listed for North Georgia, where I mostly go off-road and in East Tennessee, but not much listed in North Carolina, even though they have some of the best trails up in the mountains.

As others have pointed out, it’s best to use the Trail App to supelement one of the more established apps such as Gaia or OnX Offroad. I’m a Gaia guy myself because you can grab large areas to download for offline navigation as well as specific trials or ares for off roading, hiking, skiing, etc.

OnX seems to be growing, but it’s more expensive and downloading areas are much smaller data chunks which require more individual grabs - tested it for a few days and just think Gaia is the one for me for now.

Gaia is a bit complex and takes some study, but once you do, it makes sense and has more versatility overall. Plus, you can bundle with a subscription to Outside Mag online and website which are regular reads of mine and those who like adventure stuff.

Both are good options depending on what all you’re into.

cobro92

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350 7.3 Powerstroke
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I used the official Bronco app in moab in May. Overall, it worked well, until it didn't At one point in the trail it just failed to reconnect and I had no way to use it. I ended up taking the wrong turn and getting into a pretty hairy off-road situation with an extremely steep downslope. Thankfully, there was no damage to the vehicle and I was able to find my way back. But that was really scary. I wouldn't rely on the Bronco app until they fix the bugs. Stick with the tried and true.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The new Bronco Trail App is an infant right now, so there are some growing pains.

Good thing is that it shows you trails in your area, but I‘ve noticed not everywhere is filled out. For example, there are a ton of trails listed for North Georgia, where I mostly go off-road and in East Tennessee, but not much listed in North Carolina, even though they have some of the best trails up in the mountains.

As others have pointed out, it’s best to use the Trail App to supelement one of the more established apps such as Gaia or OnX Offroad. I’m a Gaia guy myself because you can grab large areas to download for offline navigation as well as specific trials or ares for off roading, hiking, skiing, etc.

OnX seems to be growing, but it’s more expensive and downloading areas are much smaller data chunks which require more individual grabs - tested it for a few days and just think Gaia is the one for me for now.

Gaia is a bit complex and takes some study, but once you do, it makes sense and has more versatility overall. Plus, you can bundle with a subscription to Outside Mag online and website which are regular reads of mine and those who like adventure stuff.

Both are good options depending on what all you’re into.
In your experience, how accurate is the trail status regarding open/closed with Gaia?

I’m particularly interested in knowing if the trail is obstructed or snowed in or closed for the season BUT I also would like to have high confidence in looking at the map and knowing if I’m about to turn onto a legal road or not — this is where onX falls short for me

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In your experience, how accurate is the trail status regarding open/closed with Gaia?

I’m particularly interested in knowing if the trail is obstructed or snowed in or closed for the season BUT I also would like to have high confidence in looking at the map and knowing if I’m about to turn onto a legal road or not — this is where onX falls short for me
So, for closed, I’m not sure. Living in the Deep South, trails rarely close here. When very rainy, like it is now, I just looked and don’t see any of my regular spots as closed. However, checked the park service site for one that can get very muddy and see it is closed right now. That’s an anticdote, but I’d check the actual trail source. The issue with what you’re saying is, who would do the updating? Who would then post the reopening? Park Rangers would likely say check their website. Apps like these would need to do an online scrape, but with remote areas, updating things online are going to be hit or miss. Downed trees after a storm can close a trail as can mudslides and rocks and that stuff happens all the time; it’s just a part of adventuring that it may not always be convenient.

If I were planning to run a particular trail and get there and conditions don’t allow or look sketch, I’d just roll to another trail, but planning and checking before heading out is what I do now.

As for public and private roads, Gaia is great for that. There are color changes when you cross out of public lands if you have offline maps, plus your map layers with specific types of routes are going to be key and this is customizable. More layers, more data is your only risk, so having good device storage is important here.

Gaia shows in Car Play, but also downloaded maps are on my phone just in case. Also, the stock Nav is great for off grid or out of cell range nav; this includes off-road trails. My Car Play crashes often when I loose connection, so then I have to use my phone mostly. That’s not an app thing, but Car Play.

Hope that helps a tad.

Last edited:

the poacher

Badlands
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ford ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just saw the email from Ford announcing their new Bronco Trail app. I’ve been looking forward to this coming out!!

There is another app I’ve been eyeing. It’s called OnX Offroad. I’ve used their app OnX Hunt and was impressed with that. Would love to get feedback from anyone that has tried the Trail version. Bonus points to them for featuring a Bronco on it!! Pic of their App Store preview page
Hey Adrenalista,

I am very tech savvy and I have never been able to get the Ford app working correctly. Way to buggy at this stage to even attempt to use it ongoing.
OnX Offroad is an excellent app that I use whenever I go off road. One of the best attributes is that it allows you to mirror it from your phone to your screen in the Bronco. Very easy to learn and very capable. I believe it is the best off road app available.
Sponsored