Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

• Banned
Howdy,

what trail map app do you guys recommend, if any? I’m looking to get out and explore with the family. But I have no idea where to go. Any tips on map apps would be helpful, thank you
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

An all-in-one app is OnX Offroad. They have both offline map capabilities AND a library of trails. It is however NEW and not everything else is on it.

The incumbent solution is Gaia GPS. It comes with a library a maps, but not a library of routes. You can pair it up with things like trailsoffroad.com to export routes and import them into Gaia.

Gaia seems to have better and more detailed maps, OnX has the built-in library. I'd say try out OnX and see if it gets the job done. Switch to Gaia. if you get more hardcore.

Here are a couple resources:

Bronc5280

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
H
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shevrolegs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The real BLM is the best source of topographical maps in the entire world. You already pay for it with your taxes so you might as well make use of it!

It's even possible to order specific geographical parameters and scales if you have an area you want to explore and have the time to wait. The satellite imaging you can order for some area's are also amazing! They will not provide this service for all areas but when its available its hands down the best mapping available.

Buy a Brunton's compass and have some fun the analogue way!

https://www.blm.gov/maps

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/View/index.html?appid=a6b1bc529b344e36a1d9d4d729bc03f7

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Note: I had let my OnX membership lapse until this thread, went and looked at it again and was blown away by how many features have been added. It still doesn't have as deep a trail library as trails off-road, but that's alright.

OP
OP
Jon_chimpo

Jon_chimpo

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

• Banned
Thanks guys. I like the idea of an App. I’ll check that OnX. We already paid for BLM, but like everything the government does, the private side does better. It’s a good resource to remember, thank you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I made a video, haven't published it since I wanted to redo it and add some more info. OnX Offroad is worthless in WA, seems CA and other areas have trails listed. FYI, I'm not a youtuber or blogger! Lol

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
Jon_chimpo

Jon_chimpo

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

• Banned

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
onX will give you a 1 week trial to explore their app. After 1 week they gave me a 2nd week to try to get me to buy it. I did like it and saw a 20% off code for the hunting map app. I tried the code on Offroad and it worked. $23 for 1 year of onX Offroad is worth a try.

TrailDust

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco, 23 Bronco Sport, 97 F-150, 07 Cummins
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OnX gave me a free 6 month trial with the Rubicon. I used it last week in Colorado and had it running through the main uconnect screen. It was pretty detailed, I could zoom in and out pretty easy, lots of pre-loaded trails and such. The only thing I had troubles with is it moves around when you move, I like my maps to stay static with north always straight up. I'm betting I can lock it but never took the time to do it. I'll probably subscribe when the trial is over.

Just hope I can use it on my fairy dust Bronco if Ford ever decides to fill my reservation/order!

Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I made a video, haven't published it since I wanted to redo it and add some more info. OnX Offroad is worthless in WA, seems CA and other areas have trails listed. FYI, I'm not a youtuber or blogger! Lol

Yeah this is exactly what I saw a year ago. It prompted me to get subscriptions to other things. Go and look at OnX again though, those folks have been BUSY.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah this is exactly what I saw a year ago. It prompted me to get subscriptions to other things. Go and look at OnX again though, those folks have been BUSY.
Does OnX now show menu items in Landscape mode? I tried a free subscription earlier this year, and I could not get a usable map projected onto my 12" screen in the Bronco, because the software seemed to be made predominantly for Portrait viewing instead of Landscape.

That was the primary reason for me subscribing to Gaia GPS.

Last edited:

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does OnX now show menu items in Landscape mode? I tried a free subscription earlier this year, and I could not get a useable map projected onto my 12" screen in the Bronco, because the software seemed to be made predominantly for Portrait viewing instead of Landscape.

That was the primary reason for my subscribing to Gaia GPS.
Doesn't appear to on both an iPhone and iPad Mini. I'll fire it up here in a bit via CarPlay and see if that improvement was added to the CarPlay output.

OP
OP
Jon_chimpo

Jon_chimpo

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just bought OnX. They gave me a 30% off coupon, but it Apple Pay didn’t use it… oh well, I paid full price of $30, big deal. Looking forward to using it!
Sponsored