First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Haven't seen many videos showing the trail turn assist in action while viewing from the inside. I went driving on a mountain road in southeast Tennessee last weekend and had some fun with the feature so thought I'd post it for a different perspective.

20211030_180425.jpg

20211031_121659.jpg
Sponsored

Peter Gosenya

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice. It feels like you are just spinning in place.

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

_jeff

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, 23 Lightning Pro, 14 FLD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's dizzying. It's a cool feature but the sounds produced are horrendous and really make me feel like something's braking…

Sponsored

jddunfee

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Also if anyone is interested I took a little video while cruising down the mountain road at 50 mph. Good times.

Where was that video taken at? We did a very similar one on the east side of the Smoky Mountains a couple months ago in my old Jeep. It was pretty rough.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This reminds me of sitting in an office chair and spinning around and around...

OP
OP
TennesseeBronco

TennesseeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's dizzying. It's a cool feature but the sounds produced are horrendous and really make me feel like something's braking…
All the "popping" sounds is gravel hitting the skid plates

OP
OP
TennesseeBronco

TennesseeBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Where was that video taken at? We did a very similar one on the east side of the Smoky Mountains a couple months ago in my old Jeep. It was pretty rough.
Southeast Tennessee close to Ocoee River

Fordmanfrombirth

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Haven't seen many videos showing the trail turn assist in action while viewing from the inside. I went driving on a mountain road in southeast Tennessee last weekend and had some fun with the feature so thought I'd post it for a different perspective.

Ford Bronco Trail Turn Assist inside vehicle perspective 20211031_121659

Turning on a dime and giving you a nickel back in change. Very cool!

Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do the running boards cut down at all on side spray or rock damage?

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Trail turn video got me dizzy 😵 LOL

_jeff

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, 23 Lightning Pro, 14 FLD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Shinoko

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I posted this on a FB thread earlier, but I feel like this feature is interesting, but has some serious drawbacks that need to be considered.

The first is obvious and shown above, damage to the trail or road. I mentioned this in another post, but when you enable it, it forces the front wheels to dig in and it will really leave a mark. For that reason alone, it's something I'd avoid using unless you REALLY need to.

You also have to consider that you are effectively going to force 3 of 4 wheels to break traction. I was at Windrock this past weekend and didn't consider this, being the noob that I am. We came up on an off camber, climbing switchback with a slightly awkward rock on the right. I decided to enter the turn wide, then use trail turn assist to cut in and bypass the rock. That was a mistake. Once all 3 wheels broke traction, we began an uncontrolled slide towards the inside of the turn that ultimately stopped because we hit a rut. Even when I came off the gas and turned the wheel, it wasn't enough to stop the slide. I think where we were, this is a no big deal, but if you consider trying to use this on areas with more exposure, you could risk something really bad happening. In retrospect, I should have considered this, but I didn't and now I know better. I imagine I won't be the first one.

There is also the issue of how good it is for the car. You are turning at full deflection in (presumably) 4L, that is a lot of torque and pressure on the CVs, along with the front wheel digging in and dragging a dead tire in the back. Maybe Ford considered this and limited the steering angle to prevent damage, but I have a hard time believing it is something that, when used regularly, won't result in issues with the drivetrain.

I have only engaged it maybe 5-6 times. The times it "worked", I could have easily backed up or made the turn if I went wide enough into the entry. Most of these trails we're riding have been ridden with vehicles that lack this feature and, while I'm all for advancement and improvement, this comes with caveats that I am afraid weren't well discussed. I also think there is a reason that most of the Ford footage I've seen using this feature was on very loose, dry dirt or sand.

• Love
Reactions: jxc

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base

20211030_180425.jpg

20211031_121659.jpg
Most excellent! Does anyone know which models include Trail Turn Assist, I can't find anything on here or through Ford that answers my quest. Thanks!
Sponsored